Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Tesla prevent garage door coming down on vehicle roof?

Ever had a damaging encounter with an automated garage door?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do have a photodetector, about 9" above the floor. I think I was just particularly unfortunate with respect to timing. The door was just about level with the roof, and may even have been coming back up in response to breaking of the light beam. It was late. It was dark. I'm thinking perhaps we need to add a strobing red light to the door operator when it is in operation...
Code requires a sensor 6" above the floor to prevent closing when a child, etc. is standing in the path. However, this is below many cars. If you sensor is 9: above the floor, it should have sensed the car and prevented the door from closing.
Maybe add another sensor higher up to prevent closing if the car is in the doorway?

How does it know that the door is sufficiently open? Sensors are all at bumper level. My direct drive garage door opens so slowly I would be afraid to try summon for fear that the car would start to back out before the door is high enough.
I stand there and watch it with my keyfob at the ready in case I need to abort. I've never had to so far though.