Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can all data/setting be saved by service during MCU replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A technical question for you technical geeks:

To fix my ongoing CPU1 issues, local Tesla service just replaced my existing MCU1 with a new (i.e. recon) MCU1. (To be clear, not a daughterboard swap but replacing the entire CPU. Or so they say...)

Receiving my MS, I was pleasantly surprised that the car still had all my data and setting intact. All my Spotify setting and log-in. All other streaming music favorites. Profile setting for wife and I. Past navigation history. Both of my garage door settings stayed intact, and even Homelink worked perfectly when I got home.

But from past experience - and what I've read on this board - this is highly unusual. It seems most owners have had to reset some or all of this data after MCU replacement. Particularly needing to reprogram Homelink (though I don't know if that transmitter is within the MCU or a separate item.)

So my question:

Does this mean that I was not given the true story by service staff and they did not replace my CPU after all? Or is it possible they did, but just did a particularly good job at saving my old date files and transferring them to the new hardware?
(FWIW, I know the lower piece of bright trim on the display is unchanged as it still has a pre-existing small dent. But maybe the trim piece is removable and was reused?)

All input welcomed!

They can migrate data from one MCU to another MCU. I think what it comes down to is the experience of the tech and how much time they have to spend on the repair. Also, the condition of the old MCU memory may play a factor. If its bad they cant move the data, but if its still decent they can. This is all speculation on my end, I have no actual facts to support this just basic knowledge. Yes the silver trim piece is reusable.

Reactions: Ciaopec
When i did the MCU2 upgrade i told them don't migrate a damn thing over and install it with a clean slate because even after having the daughterboard replaced it was still glitchy.
But yeah they have the tech to move everything over but it takes time and they may not want to do it all the time kinda one of those dealers choice situations if you don't specify it.

OK, thanks to you both for the replies. I was just a little suspicious that maybe they didn't actually do the full MCU replacement. Especially when the Homelink still worked.

Spoon, your logic makes sense. If I'd been given a choice I would have taken your option. Even so, one day out the replacement seems to have improved things... no phantom reboots (yet!). Still, voice commands not as promptly responsive as it had been a year or so ago. Guess I can always opt for upgrade. Are you in the "definitely worth it" camp, Spoon?

A technical question for you technical geeks:

So my question:

Does this mean that I was not given the true story by service staff and they did not replace my CPU after all? Or is it possible they did, but just did a particularly good job at saving my old date files and transferring them to the new hardware?
(FWIW, I know the lower piece of bright trim on the display is unchanged as it still has a pre-existing small dent. But maybe the trim piece is removable and was reused?)

All input welcomed!

I think @random155 has it right: it comes down to time and the tech. Just replaced MCU1 with MCU2. All data intact. The whole process was in at 1000 out at 1300. Pleased as punch!