Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can an observer tell the state of charge of a Tesla when charging at a Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely the Brake Light bar has all the LEDs wired together, for all On or all Off operation. Displaying a bar graph would require individual control of the LEDs, so an expensive retrofit of every Tesla.
This is a good point and one I'd overlooked. They probably have on/off control only. I loved the idea too much to see through it.

Elon said there will be congestion information forthcoming in a future release. It would be nice if, when arriving, the car just told you the best stall with a popup. "Proceed to 4A," for instance.

Reactions: chipmunk
This is a good point and one I'd overlooked. They probably have on/off control only. I loved the idea too much to see through it.

Elon said there will be congestion information forthcoming in a future release. It would be nice if, when arriving, the car just told you the best stall with a popup. "Proceed to 4A," for instance.
YES! Along with a map of the spots indicating which one is 4A. AND with this solution, it could even direct two different cars to two separate spots.

Tesla could and should provide much more information through the smartphone app or console display about Supercharger status, taking advantage of the information they can collect from vehicles at or approaching the Superchargers.
  • Recommended chargers to select, based on chargers currently being used and the charging rate at each of the chargers, taking into account shared chargers and known issues with the chargers
  • Provide better management of the charger usage, to encourage everyone to leave the charger when charging is completed or reached a suitable level to make it to the next charger or destination
  • Track how many vehicles are at a supercharger waiting, or have the supercharger on the route and will soon be arriving to charge. Using this information, Tesla can estimate not only the time likely needed for charging, but also the possibility of a wait to get access to a charger.
  • There must be an easier way to report unusable chargers (blocked spots, ICEd spots, hardware problems, …) so that Tesla can provide that information and provide more accurate status reporting
Other manufacturers will be relying on 3rd party charging networks - which could be a combination of several networks.

By having its own charging network and control of the smartphone & onboard software, Tesla could use all of that information to provide a superior charging experience and help them compete when others have comparable long range EVS.

You cannot tell that state of charge by observing without collapsing the wave function and affecting the charge state :rolleyes:. Heisenberg! Oh wait that's you cannot observe which spot a Tesla is charging in without affecting the location of the charging Tesla, nevermind.....