Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone explain the (exact) ordering process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiya - looking for anyone to explain the exact ordering process? Eg. How is it defined if you receive a custom build or inventory car? If you order custom, are matched to an inventory, then does Fremont still build the equivalent spec car? Is it still shipped? What if two people order the same spec with one existing inventory? What if someone orders for delivery no earlier than a certain date - does that mean a custom build will continue even if an inventory car is available?

importantly, what happens if someone is matched and then unmatched to an inventory car on a custom order due to their requirement for later delivery? Is a custom car built or not?

I only have limited experience but you order online and then a few days later you get a text saying “we will be building your car within 10 days” and then 12 days later you get another text saying “we will be building your car within 7 days”

Not sure what’s next.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
Not 100% sure your core question but the order tracking spreadsheet may tell you something about the car you want in the area you are and the timing of getting a VIN assigned. Teslike Model 3 Survey #4

Ultimately I don't think you have that much control on the process - just order the car you want.

For me (in Michigan which doesn't have Tesla dealers), I wanted to time to end a lease in May.

1. Placed order on March 4 when the website estimated 8-9 weeks until delivery for grey LR AWD.
2. VIN was assigned the next day March 5 meaning my car was matched. Per the VIN it appears that the car was made in late 2019 - it had all the specs I wanted but wasn't made for me.
3. Within a week, delivery date was set for March 20 in Indiana. This didn't fit my planned timing and was told that I could pass on getting this car delivered. However, my salesman said that it was likely that if I pass on this one it may be 10-12 weeks until another came up. His thought was that at the time they were about to switch production to try to fill Asia and Europe orders for a while. This was just before the COVID chaos hit so if he was right or not dunno. I don't think this was a pressure sales tactic as my money was in but dunno.
4. Given my sense that things were going to shut down for a while I kept the March 20 pickup date. From what I surmised, the car was shipped to the pickup location about a week before as I could have potentially picked it up a few days early.
5. Pickup was touchless and easy. Wish I could have driven it more but so far has been awesome.

In my case the salesperson in Michigan was very helpful and answered all my questions and was able to help me sort out timing, change the delivery location and date all over the phone.

Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
They do not build custom cars. The option set is minimized. The build in batches.

orders are matched from inventory if possible. If not possible, the pending order info is used to decide which batch is built next.

Op this is your answer.

Tesla does not build "to order" regardless of what people like to think. They do not have any real option list, so just build cars in batches that meet those specs (like a lot of other car manufacturers). BMW, Audi, Porsche and some others let you actually order a car that is "built for you".

A tesla is just built, and matched to you when they get to the spec you ordered. Tesla only has (for model 3)

(3) Main trim options (Standard range, Long range, or Long range performance)

5 exterior colors ( black, white, blue, red, dark grey)
2 interior colors (black, or black and white)
18, 19 or 20 inch wheels.

When you place an order (with deposit) they attempt to match you to a car that is in your area if possible. If not possible, they put you in the queue for the next time they are making that trim (so yes, fremont still builds the spec car you "ordered" if you cancel your order.. they just match it to someone else, or ship it to an area where there is demand for that spec to sell to someone else).

If two people order the same spec with 1 "in inventory" it would go to whoever is closer to said car logistically... although there are not usually a lot of brand new, never been delivered before, cars in inventory. They are normally in transit "somewhere".

It someone orders "not to be delivered before XXX date" they put you on a "do not deliver" list so you are not put in the queue for a car, or matched with a car, but cars with that same spec are still built in the batch when its their time, they just dont match it to you, they match it to someone else.

Its more like ordering a box of frosted flakes from amazon. If you dont order it, its not like they dont make the box anyway. In no case are they really "building a car with "your" specs. They are building cars of various specs, and when they get to the batch that includes yours they match you with it.

Every car has all the hardware for FSD so its really color of car, and wheels.

If I could do it over, I would not have ordered my M3 but searched the current inventory on a regular basis and made the purchase. Late this afternoon I found three cars configured how I want with no miles and in the Bay Area and confirmed with no destination charge, which is a 1200 dollar savings. I sent the pictures to my SA, but I do not have a lot of confidence in her or how hard she will work to get me one of these cars.

If I could do it over, I would not have ordered my M3 but searched the current inventory on a regular basis and made the purchase. Late this afternoon I found three cars configured how I want with no miles and in the Bay Area and confirmed with no destination charge, which is a 1200 dollar savings. I sent the pictures to my SA, but I do not have a lot of confidence in her or how hard she will work to get me one of these cars.

That likely means they are "used" cars. All new teslas have a destination charge. Used ones would have no destination charge (used vs new has nothing to do with how many miles on the vehicle. It has to do with whether it was registered to a consumer).

Basically, very low mileage tesla with no destination charge = used car = one that was sold to someone that they returned for "some reason".

Some like the idea of saving 1200 for that... I certainly dont.

All new cars have the destination charge. You might see “no transport charge” when searching for inventory cars but that is just not additional charge to move that car to a location close enough for you to take delivery. Once you are matched with an inventory car they will generate a MVPA and that will include a $1200 documentation and destination fee.

Some demo cars (either test drives or store displays) might not have a destination charge but those are either driven or sat in by thousands of people...