Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of a current inventory Model Y Performance when I had a Customer build on order.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a current inventory Model Y Performance when I had a Custom build on order. I ordered a Model Y Performance on 1/28. I found the same build available in inventory on 2/3. I tried to contact Tela to see what I could do, it was 8:00pm and they were closed. I was at a Tesla dealer on 1/28 and asked if I could take delivery of a current inventory and cancel my build order and get a refund of the $250, the Tesla employee told me yes. Now Tesla is telling me I should have contacted them first and the Manager is going to look into it to see what they might do. In the end, I had to jump on the second order, it is an amazing car. I hope they train their employees better so they do not misinform customers. I hope I get my $250 back but it is not the end of the world. I hope this helps future customers in this situation.

Odd that when they were working up the paperwork for the inventory delivery they didn’t transfer the reservation from the existing order. When they do such transfers, you effectively have paid $500 non-refundable, but you’ve lost nothing if you take delivery.

Odd that when they were working up the paperwork for the inventory delivery they didn’t transfer the reservation from the existing order. When they do such transfers, you effectively have paid $500 non-refundable, but you’ve lost nothing if you take delivery.
It was after Tesla was closed. I could not call anyone, and did not know at the time I had to because of being misinformed. The inventory was moving fast because of the price reduction, so I had to jump on it.

I did the exact same thing! I ordered a MYLR but after hours found a local inventory that was acceptable spec. I couldn't "accelerate delivery" so I went ahead and ordered the local inventory as well. I contacted my advisor the next day and they said just contact them after delivery of the local inventory for a "one time" refund.

Well, there was a big miscommunication and they ended up not being able to do so. However, during the conversation, I said I would dispute the charge since they clearly told me they would refund it before and they made the mistake. They said go ahead and dispute, so I did. I got the refund today! Might be worth disputing it and seeing if you can get one of the order fees back.

I did the exact same thing! I ordered a MYLR but after hours found a local inventory that was acceptable spec. I couldn't "accelerate delivery" so I went ahead and ordered the local inventory as well. I contacted my advisor the next day and they said just contact them after delivery of the local inventory for a "one time" refund.

Well, there was a big miscommunication and they ended up not being able to do so. However, during the conversation, I said I would dispute the charge since they clearly told me they would refund it before and they made the mistake. They said go ahead and dispute, so I did. I got the refund today! Might be worth disputing it and seeing if you can get one of the order fees back.
Good to know, how did you dispute it? I will go that route if need be. We need to take it to Tesla this Friday for a few things that need correcting like paint blemishes and a slight bend in the passenger door on the bottom corner.

I took delivery of a current inventory Model Y Performance when I had a Custom build on order. I ordered a Model Y Performance on 1/28. I found the same build available in inventory on 2/3. I tried to contact Tela to see what I could do, it was 8:00pm and they were closed. I was at a Tesla dealer on 1/28 and asked if I could take delivery of a current inventory and cancel my build order and get a refund of the $250, the Tesla employee told me yes. Now Tesla is telling me I should have contacted them first and the Manager is going to look into it to see what they might do. In the end, I had to jump on the second order, it is an amazing car. I hope they train their employees better so they do not misinform customers. I hope I get my $250 back but it is not the end of the world. I hope this helps future customers in this situation.
Hi. Was the VIN assigned for your custom order before you decided on getting the one in inventory?