Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Autopilot be set to adjust following distance based on speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any driver's school will tell you that your following distance should be longer if you are driving more rapidly, since it will take you longer to brake. Does Autopilot take the vehicle speed into consideration and adjust to a longer distance to the next car or is the following distance adjustment fixed to a certain number of car lengths?

When you adjust the wheel for following distance, it indicates displays icons for a certain number of cars, which suggests that it will follow this number of car lengths. Is that meant to be a relative indication of near to far or an actual number of car lengths?
No, it doesn't display a number for a certain number of car length distance. Is is just a number between 1 and 7, with 1 being the closest and 7 being the furthest.

Did you look at the manual?

1635037942109.png

Upvote 0
The following distance setting is already wildly janky and virtually meaningless with current production AP - an issue that's only recently started happening, as it used to actually adhere to its user's manual description (varies by speed). As it is now, it wildly varies based on the variation of the speed delta of traffic (yeah, decode that), which is virtually useless since Flintstone-driving traffic (people driving with their feet instead of cruise control/driver assistance) is constantly changing its speed. Net result: there is no set following distance; it just does whatever, whenever. Eats tailpipes for slowing traffic and leaves a football field when accelerating.

I would instead ask for a distance setting based on lane position - right lane: far distance, left lane: close distance. I constantly adjust my setting based on this while in traffic, but it's obvious it has nearly no effect.

I hope this improves when AP goes "single stack" soon. FSD driving (on city streets) does seem improved, at least when it's not applying "boost logic" freakish acceleration in/after turns and lane changes.

Upvote 0