Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can ChatGPT answer your solar questions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
As we all know, ChatGPT has taken over the world by storm. I am into AI/ML, and I thought I would see how it did as a solar advisor named Bob advising me about a home solar system. I think it did a pretty good job estimating the solar system size, costs, and other factors, but I would like to get other's opinions. If you have a moment, take a look at the conversation, we had.

Note, there was more to the conversation regarding financing and incentive options where it was careful to point out its data was from 2021 or earlier. But unfortunately, the system crashed due to load before I could capture the questions and responses.

I had a conversation with some colleagues in a group chat a few days ago about chatGTP and things like it. I am in the camp of "I dont like this at all, I think pretty much every movie that depicts AI shows it ends up deciding that humans are an unneeded variable".

One of the people in this discussion reminded me that " hey you say that, and the AIs will probably learn from the very movies / books you are talking about that they should do exactly what you are saying"...

Heh.. I find that a scary thought.

Reactions: BGbreeder
btw just for funsies here's what Midjourney interpreted as a "high tech 200 amp blade disconnect"

I had a conversation with some colleagues in a group chat a few days ago about chatGTP and things like it. I am in the camp of "I dont like this at all, I think pretty much every movie that depicts AI shows it ends up deciding that humans are an unneeded variable".

One of the people in this discussion reminded me that " hey you say that, and the AIs will probably learn from the very movies / books you are talking about that they should do exactly what you are saying"...

Heh.. I find that a scary thought.
You are not the only ones that are worried. There is a petition to take a pause on building more advanced models than we have with GPT-4, the model I used. A lot of people working in AI and financially backing AI signed on.

However, the wording of the petition has led some to wonder, including me, if it is a ploy by the Open AI/Microsoft group to hold back others. Such as Google which is a couple of months from launching even more powerful models than Open-AI's GPT-4.

But the genie is out of the bottle, and it will change things, hopefully for the better. Look at how automobiles changed our lives. Before them the majority of people lived, worked, and died within 10 miles of where they were born. We are better now, aren't we?

Last edited:
You are not the only ones that are worried. There is a petition to take a pause on building more advanced models than we have with GPT-4, the model I used. A lot of people working in AI and financially backing AI signed on.

However, the wording of the petition has led some to wonder, including me, if it is a ploy by the Open AI/Microsoft group to hold back others. Such as Google which is a couple of months from launching even more powerful models than Open-AI's GPT-4.

But the genie is out of the bottle, and it will change things, hopefully for the better. Look at how automobiles changed our lives. Before them the majority of people lived, worked, and died within 10 miles of where they were born. We are better now, aren't we?

BTW... I read the conversation / log you shared. Its more informative than any conversation I ever had with any human in late 2015 early 2016 when I was looking at solar. I find that incredibly interesting, and also incredibly scary, heh.

Lol I'm having too much fun with this AI generated images thing. I keep trying get it to AI-render that bladed handle disconnect but it absolutely refuses to dream it up like my baller avatar.

Anyway, if the AI doesn't understand a blade disconnect, then it could not possibly safely install solar. Humans > AI

holeydonut_residential_blade_disconnect_lever_240_volts_7c33dd94-9228-43b3-be03-969d1b5c0143.png

holeydonut_energy_on_off_lever_e0bb4de6-5398-44ee-9eb1-0c48a59aa971.png

Maybe it's just me, but I find pretty much all AI not really AI (or what I would consider AI).

It doesn't think on it's own, but is more of a search the internet, summarize/regurgitate system of what's already out there. It's like doing a lot of searches yourself with whatever is out there, then present it in a way that it's readable (maybe people find that's the AI piece?). But instead of compiling and clicking on the 20 links yourself, the AI does that for you and summarizes it in human readable/talking format.

I don't see it thinking on it's own at all.

It's probably good for complete n00bs on any topic since that's what the internet is full of, but can't see myself trusting it since the information is always dated and it's not really thinking (at least not yet). Also, since it's dependent on what's out there, I'm sure if there was a topic where a lot of falsehood was published as fact, it will give off very bad results.

Since the AI isn't creating solutions for things that aren't on the internet, it will always be limited with what it can crawl.

Like if the AI can magically solve the political discourse, gun violence, war in Ukraine, how to fix the IOUs to be more fair for all, then that's "real" AI to me.

I've tried ChatGPT myself too, but can't see using it for anything really yet.