Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Disable Two-Foot Warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Allan22S

Supporting Member
Like many who learned to drive decades ago, I was trained to use my left foot for faster braking. That usually results in both pedals being slightly depressed for a fraction of a second as the right foot comes off the accelerator while the left applies the brakes. Now my 2022 S punishes me with irritating warning beeps. Does anyone know how to disable it? Understandably, service won't say.

That's an insulting smart-ass answer. If you actually read my post you would know why. Who made you the pontificator of what is illogical. what the foot assignment is for everyone including for people who have been driving otherwise foe over 60 years.
Listen here silent generation if you wanna have a modern car you need to get with the times old man 😂😂😂😂

Of course it was a smart ass answer you asked a stupid ass question what other kind of answer would one give to such stupidity‽

Just because you've always done it that way doesn't make it right. In my 20 years in the Army I realized that the way it's always been done is often wrong and/or illegal. I put a stop to a lot of stupid ass crap once I had the rank to do so. So I'm telling you your way of always doing things isn't the right way, and the fact your car is telling you to stop doing it is proof of such. So calm down Karen 😂

2gi1lylqezh21.jpg

Upvote 0
One are the reasons I would think I might want to depress the brake with your left foot while you're right foot is on the accelerator is to turn on the brake lights. I have noticed using my 2023 model Y that in Regent mode the brake lights don't always come on. From what I have read it takes 0.12 G's before they will turn on. I am always concerned about getting rear-ended by people that follow too close and don't see the brake light indications that I am slowing down. I have from time to time used my left foot to depress the brake and make sure that my tail lights are coming on at lower region if someone is rapidly closing the distance between my car and theirs. I think the visual clue of brake lights helps people from keeps people from getting rear-ended from non attentive drivers following too close. Have you ever seen someone coming up quickly behind you and it looks like they're not going to be able to stop? I have. So far they have always been able to but you can sure see the look of panic on their face when they aren't sure they're going to be able to stop. I always use one pedal driving, so it's not like i'm randomly slamming on the brakes. I just don't want my model Y rear-ended. And yes, I did get that irritating warning which I would like to be able to disable. I get it.

OK, fire away. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Let’s skip the whole two-foot driving is a bad idea discussion and consider this: in an ICE car when you take your foot off the accelerator the brake light does not come on until you tap the brake. In an EV when you partially release the accelerator, this is the same situation as occurs in an ICE car. When you continue to release the accelerator, Regen kicks in, at which point the brake lights come on.

If this was not an issue in your ICE car then it should not be an issue in your EV.

Upvote 0
Most people can't drive at all with both feet, or they drive less safe.

But once you are used to it, you drive MUCH safer, because you reaction time is MUCH shorter. Pilots (especially helicopter pilots) use both feet, too (albeit for steering, not acceleration). You just have to train it. Pilots learn it in no time - why not drivers?

The "overlapping" of "both inputs" usually happens when you shift from one-pedal braking (aka "slightly depressed accelerator pedal" that leads to recuperating) to wheel braking (depressed brake pedal). And it shouldn't be confusing to the board computer at all, on the contrary; it's actually very logic:
You are ALREADY decelerating via recuperation, and depressing the brake pedal is simply ADDING to the deceleration. Both inputs ("motor: recuperate" & "wheel brakes: also decelerate") should work flawlessly together - and in fact do in many EVs

Obviously it's different when the accelerator input doesn't lead to a recuperation (and hence deceleration), but instead to an ACCELERATION: in THAT case the dual input should really trigger a warning.

Upvote 0