Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I buy my $110k Tesla for $30k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The list price on my car when purchased was close to 110k, and the residual on my lease is something like 65k. If I were to buy my same car today, it would be 89k (before tax incentives). A fully loaded long range Model 3 would be 51k (before tax incentives). My lease is up in 2 years.

Given above, I think the market value of my Tesla will be well below residual in 2 years. So what happens at end of lease, does the lease provider just take a huge bath? In 2 years, my car will have outdated processor, previous generation design (I assume), less range on battery, slower charging speeds compared to M3, etc, etc.

Obviously subjective, but my prediction of market value at end of lease is 30k. Anything more than that, I would buy fully loaded long range M3. I know Model S is bigger than M3, but I use as a daily commuter, and not a family hauler. I have 100d, 2.5, with autopilot, and generally loaded, but not a performance model.

Yes, They take a hit and that is why many companies don't want to lease these vehicles anymore. My Model S was $113k and is worth about $60k after only 2 years. The depreciation on these vehicles is horrible and with them constantly lowering the prices it will only get worse for first time buyers overtime.

Buddy, if your buyout was 30k, your have a line up to the moon to buy it. It’s still a long range battery with AP2.5 and a beauty. If you want to keep value in it, probably best to have FSD for protection.

I’m in the same boat with a 59k residual 3yrs from now. And at that i can simply toss in the key or buy it depending on the market.

Likely I’ll look at an M3 or an alternate manuf of EV’s. Ie. Porsche, Audi etc and compare