Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Extend My Delivery Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking to lock in the price for a model 3 in the next 24hours before the price hike. I'll be traveling out of the country for over a month and won't be able to handle any of the transaction until then. Does Tesla allow delivery dates to be pushed back until mid April? Curious if anyone has experience in a long delay of your delivery date. Thanks

We ordered on 3/7 and we were able to push it back to 4/8. I was told the 4/8 date would be the earliest date they would assign me a VIN.
We ended up switching cars though and if all goes well, we will be picking it up earlier.

Not all that uncommon unfortunately. Hard to get a consistent, straight answer to some of these questions. But they did say that I'd end up with a new VIN and new agreed upon price if I didn't take delivery by 3-31-19.
Well you could argue that if they where passed their 2 week delivery window. To say you must not go on a business trip or holiday and wait for them when they are late or else pay more would not sit well with most people.

If you ordered today and they amazingly delivered on time then it would be a different story.

Not all that uncommon unfortunately. Hard to get a consistent, straight answer to some of these questions. But they did say that I'd end up with a new VIN and new agreed upon price if I didn't take delivery by 3-31-19.

You are right about that. Getting consistent answers from Tesla sales or support is tough. At times, I feel like they make up answers on the fly :)

In my opinion, they are misleading you. The price on your order can't go up after you placed the order and paid the $2,500. What they are implying (I think) is that if you don't take delivery when the car is ready, they could cancel your order and you will have to place a new order at the new price. But I haven't heard about anyone's order getting canceled because they had to postpone delivery by a couple of weeks. They just remove the original VIN assignment and look for a new assignment. The original order isn't canceled. At least that's my impression hanging around this forum for the past 6-9 months.

You are right about that. Getting consistent answers from Tesla sales or support is tough. At times, I feel like they make up answers on the fly :)

In my opinion, they are misleading you. The price on your order can't go up after you placed the order and paid the $2,500. What they are implying (I think) is that if you don't take delivery when the car is ready, they could cancel your order and you will have to place a new order at the new price. But I haven't heard about anyone's order getting canceled because they had to postpone delivery by a couple of weeks. They just remove the original VIN assignment and look for a new assignment. The original order isn't canceled. At least that's my impression hanging around this forum for the past 6-9 months.

May be Tesla wants to get the sales numbers (high) for the quarter ending Mar 31st.

I'll give TSLA a call tomorrow and hope that someone picks up with the info I'm looking for. I just need to delay it long enough til I get back and have at least a week to put the funds together. Fingers crossed for late April delivery, although highly unlikely. Never have I thought I would be happy to delay my model 3 delivery.

Just let them know that you are out of country or loan delay. I plan to do that too since I already place on order Friday for showroom car and I received a text Saturday that car ready for my to pick up at local service center on 26th (2 weeks from today). I do not plan to get it until Middle April to May 15 of 2019. Hope they will go for that.

Placed the order of standard plus version on Sunday (03/17) morning, get text message in the afternoon saying the delivery is Tuesday (03/19) morning. We did not plan to get it that soon since we have an upcoming business trip until 04/03. Called Tesla on Sunday night, the agent told us it's okay to push the delivery date, but no more comments. Today the delivery date in my account still shows Tuesday 03/19, just called Tesla again, but they are closed today (I guess for St. Patrick's day), no one answers the phone.......