Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I increase amps on my HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded to a 2020 MS from a 2013 MS. I have a 1st Gen HPWC on a 50 amp circuit. The maximum my 2013 could use was 40 amps. With the 2020 they have upped that to 48 amps but one has to be connected to a HPWC delivering at least 60 amps.

Does anyone know if I replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60 amp, will the 1st Gen HPWC pass that info to the vehicle and allow 48 amp charging?

Yes, If you have #6 copper wire and the run is not too long you can legally up the breaker to 60 amps and charge at 48. You will have to reprogram the HPWC with the dip switches to enable 48 amps charging. See the manual for the proper positions.

As below, Must be in Conduit!

Last edited:
#6 is rated for 55 amps but you'll only be drawing 48, so depending on length of run you may or may not want to use it. I used in-wall #6 but the run is only 15 inches so it works fine, no heat, no issues. As simple as it was I then had a buddy who is a retired electrician check it out to be sure. I'd have an experienced electrician that you trust look at it and then take his advice.

#6 is rated for 55 amps but you'll only be drawing 48, so depending on length of run you may or may not want to use it. I used in-wall #6 but the run is only 15 inches so it works fine, no heat, no issues. As simple as it was I then had a buddy who is a retired electrician check it out to be sure. I'd have an experienced electrician that you trust look at it and then take his advice.
Hold up there, Tex. 55A limit on the wire/circuit means you get to draw up to 44A, not 48A. Given there's no setting for this on the HPWC, you basically have to fall back to 40A charging.

To be fair, I'm sure it "works fine with no heat" -- but it's against code, nonetheless. Your electrician buddy should have known this. More importantly though, you shouldn't provide this kind of advice to others.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
#6 is rated for 55 amps
55 amps max, not continuous.

Also, "#6 is rated for 55 amps" is an oversimplification.

As I said above, #6 NM Romex must use the 60c temperature rating which is 55 amps.
However, individual #6 conductors in conduit can use the 75c temperature rating, for 65 amps.
For both of those, continuous loads like EV charging should not exceed 80% of the rated value.

Agree that #6 romex will likely work just fine and is very unlikely to have any heat or resistance issues, but it's not kosher by code.

An electrician should review the installation and determine if it's safe to upgrade the breaker to 60A.

When our house was built, a 14-50 outlet was placed on the wall in case we purchased a second EV. When our second Tesla arrived and the electrician came out to install the Wall Connector where the 14-50 outlet was located, he reviewed the wiring and determined it was safe to upgrade the breaker to 60A, so now the X can charge at 48A.

Reactions: user212_nr
Hold up there, Tex. 55A limit on the wire/circuit means you get to draw up to 44A, not 48A. Given there's no setting for this on the HPWC, you basically have to fall back to 40A charging.

To be fair, I'm sure it "works fine with no heat" -- but it's against code, nonetheless. Your electrician buddy should have known this. More importantly though, you shouldn't provide this kind of advice to others.
The only advice I gave was to consult an electrician. The rest was just information, and it has been well analyzed so I do not see the problem.

55 amps max, not continuous.

Also, "#6 is rated for 55 amps" is an oversimplification.

As I said above, #6 NM Romex must use the 60c temperature rating which is 55 amps.
However, individual #6 conductors in conduit can use the 75c temperature rating, for 65 amps.
For both of those, continuous loads like EV charging should not exceed 80% of the rated value.

Agree that #6 romex will likely work just fine and is very unlikely to have any heat or resistance issues, but it's not kosher by code.
I don't disagree but in my situation there was already a NEMA 14-50 outlet there wired with number #6 and I plan to take the HPWC with me when I move and replace the 14-50 and 50 amp breaker at that time. it is only 15 inches of wire too, so putting the math to that I did not foresee problems. It was not my intent that the OP disregard the info given here. I DID recommend the OP get an electrician to decide the best solution.