Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I personally program a key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MCU2 here, there is a SERVICE>UPDATE KEY function, I put new key with fresh battery where indicated and nothing happens.
I will take it to service.
As I recall, that UPDATE KEY function is a firmware update on some newer Fob. Mine is a '17 and the Update key function doesn't work. That Update key function is not for programing the Fob to the car.

Yeah, three is the max.

I had an interesting problem yesterday with the new keys. Car would detect all keys as key#1, so I couldn't assign them to profiles. All keys activated profile #1. I tried even rebooting and it didn't help. I could assign the key#1 to another profile, but then that profile would activate with any key.

However today it works as expected, can assign all three keys to different profiles. Go figure.. :) I did SMS my ranger in the meantime but he never replied, but it's possible he still did something remotely?
I'm new to the forum, but had to quote for appreciation of the feedback and info you provided. I just purchased my 2018 Model S and took delivery this past Saturday, but there was only one key. I just bought a key from ebay, with the hopes that I'd be able to have a ranger program and you answered all my questions that it was done, as well as prepared me for potential glitches that one way or another can be corrected.

I'm new to the forum, but had to quote for appreciation of the feedback and info you provided. I just purchased my 2018 Model S and took delivery this past Saturday, but there was only one key. I just bought a key from ebay, with the hopes that I'd be able to have a ranger program and you answered all my questions that it was done, as well as prepared me for potential glitches that one way or another can be corrected.
Welcome to the Tesla ownership family. It will change your life.

well, in the bay area programing new key fobs costs $200 + tax even if you hav your own fob.
it will be done by the mobile service, the Service Center in Sunnyvale did not accept adding the programming on top of the service I was there for.

well, in the bay area programing new key fobs costs $200 + tax even if you hav your own fob.
it will be done by the mobile service, the Service Center in Sunnyvale did not accept adding the programming on top of the service I was there for.
really? that very same service center charged me $15 to reprogram a set of keys purchased from eBay. oh wait, maybe that was Palo Alto? they even tried to program a 3rd key from a model x with my model s, even though they said it wouldn’t work (but they tried anyway for fun)

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston