Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can i put a passenger front seat on the drivers side and vice-versa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering upgrading my late 2014 S85 front seats and i saw a set of front seats for sale in the UK (where car are RH drive), but my car is LH drive.
At fist i though it was a not go because of the RHD/LHD thing, but i'm uncertain if there is really a problem with just installing the RHD front seats on my LHD car.
Any help would be appreciated.

Seat controls are mounted on the outside. If you switch them... not reachable...

Why do you think you have to switch them L to R?

Plus, I’d guess, many more issues

He is not switching the seats in that way. He's taking seats from a different region, and installing them in the same location in the vehicle..

His vehicle is left hand drive (LHD) - driver is on the left side, passenger is on the right side.

The vehicle with the seats he can get is a right hand drive (RHD) - driver on the right, passenger on the left.

If you take the driver seat LHD and put it in the passenger on the RHD, it's in the same physical side of the vehicle, so the controls are still in the same spot (door side).

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I'm considering upgrading my late 2014 S85 front seats and i saw a set of front seats for sale in the UK (where car are RH drive), but my car is LH drive.
At fist i though it was a not go because of the RHD/LHD thing, but i'm uncertain if there is really a problem with just installing the RHD front seats on my LHD car.
Any help would be appreciated.

Other than the buckles being different colors, I believe, in theory, Tesla could have kept manufacturing supply chain optimized by making the seats work in either handed drive. However, it being Tesla, they could have made it different. Have you taken a look at the Tesla parts catalog to see if it does show different connections for the seating?

He is not switching the seats in that way. He's taking seats from a different region, and installing them in the same location in the vehicle..

His vehicle is left hand drive (LHD) - driver is on the left side, passenger is on the right side.

The vehicle with the seats he can get is a right hand drive (RHD) - driver on the right, passenger on the left.

If you take the driver seat LHD and put it in the passenger on the RHD, it's in the same physical side of the vehicle, so the controls are still in the same spot (door side).

Exactly.

Other than the buckles being different colors, I believe, in theory, Tesla could have kept manufacturing supply chain optimized by making the seats work in either handed drive. However, it being Tesla, they could have made it different. Have you taken a look at the Tesla parts catalog to see if it does show different connections for the seating?

I know that at least the drivers seat has a memory module and the harnesses are different for that at least, what i don't know is if it's just a matter of switching the memory module to the other seat of if there is more it, and also what other implications this might have.