Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I return my Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wrong. The setting was under Driving Settings, It enabled changing the level of regenerative braking from Standard to Low. Newer Tesla vehicles do not have the ability to change the level of regenerative braking.

@Platini correct. 2020's had the setting available, 2021's do not. Apparently, Elon knows best. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

That said, @hypeforeal maybe give it a bit more time to get used to it?

@Platini correct. 2020's had the setting available, 2021's do not. Apparently, Elon knows best. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

That said, @hypeforeal maybe give it a bit more time to get used to it?
Yeah I think right now seeing that I have no option to return it, I'll give it a month or so to get used to it, and if I don't get used to it I'll sell it

...................I spent 72k on this car which was way more than I wanted to spend and now have this big problem that kinda ruins the whole things for me. I kinda prefer driving my 10 year old piece of crap hyundai

Why would you buy the Performance version? The LR is a fast car even before the $2000 upgrade.

Everyone's brain need to get retrained for one pedal driving. As suggested early use TACC on the highway.

You can turn the regen breaking off.

You cant turn the regen braking off in either the <2020 or >2020 version of the model 3. No version of model 3 produced let you turn the regen breaking "off". Older model 3s let you turn it "down" but not off. It may or may not feel different based on battery state of charge, warmth of battery, etc.

Back to the OP....

As I mentioned in my other post in this thread, there is no difference between regen braking in specific models of model 3s or Ys for a given model year. Older ones let you turn it down, but not off.

If you test drove an older LR vehicle, its possible they had it turned down, but if you test drove a 2021, that would not have been possible. Relating to the "I have to keep constant pressure unlike a regular car" thats because you likely pulse the accelerator pedal, and didnt realize it. I never drove that way, because I learned how to drive in a manual transmission vehicle ("A stick") which is fairly similar to the feeling of regen braking.

Regen braking is just like engine braking in "a stick". If you can drive a stick, just imagine yourself downshifting when you let off the accelerator. If you cant drive a stick, you will still figure it out, and it wont take "a month". It likely didnt take a month for you to learn how to drive in the first place, so it wont take that long to learn how to modulate the pedal.

As for the thread title, no, you cant return it. You could likely sell it for close to what you paid for it, because of the used car market, but unless you really cant figure it out, I would give yourself some time. Just like it takes time to be comfortable on a new mattress, it takes time to unlearn bad habits (like pulsing the accelerator pedal).

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickTM
Relating to the "I have to keep constant pressure unlike a regular car" thats because you likely pulse the accelerator pedal, and didnt realize it.

I have (almost exclusively) driven manual transmission cars or EV's... very few traditional automatic transmission ICE cars... what is pulsing the accelerator and why would anyone do it?

Keith

I have (almost exclusively) driven manual transmission cars or EV's... very few traditional automatic transmission ICE cars... what is pulsing the accelerator and why would anyone do it?

Keith
How can you drive (a regular ICE) car and not already keep constant pressure on the accelerator? Regen braking (on an EV) does not kick in while you are driving at a constant speed. You still have to keep the same constant pressure on the accelerator. The reason pulsing comes up is that some people never drive at a constant power. The accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast. I can't think of any other reason why you would encounter regen braking just driving normally.

Reactions: HillClimb and ankit
I still have to be a bit intentional when lifting off the Tesla accelerator with other people in the car to avoid being a little jerky. I "drive the gears" in automatic ICE cars by small changes in the accelerator. In Tesla I still subconsciously feel for the downshift when lifting off the tesla pedal.

I'm sure some one pedal drivers are less smooth than they were with ICE without realizing it.

How can you drive (a regular ICE) car and not already keep constant pressure on the accelerator? Regen braking (on an EV) does not kick in while you are driving at a constant speed. You still have to keep the same constant pressure on the accelerator. The reason pulsing comes up is that some people never drive at a constant power. The accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast. I can't think of any other reason why you would encounter regen braking just driving normally.

Wow, didn't know people drove like that... in a manual transmission ICE car or EV that would drive me insane and give my passengers motion sickness. My sister goes one further though... she is either on the gas or on the brake... horrible to ride with her and she has crashed more cars than I have owned. I guess some automatic ICE drivers are almost but not quite as bad as she is :)

Keith

Wow, didn't know people drove like that... in a manual transmission ICE car or EV that would drive me insane and give my passengers motion sickness. My sister goes one further though... she is either on the gas or on the brake... horrible to ride with her and she has crashed more cars than I have owned. I guess some automatic ICE drivers are almost but not quite as bad as she is :)

Keith
We used to get so sick as kids when my dad drove

Keith

A "LOT" of people drive like that. I would imagine that almost everyone that didnt learn how to drive a manual (a stick) first, likely drives somewhat like that. My wife can drive a stick, but since we havent had one in 20 years, drives like that.

Its " puuuuuuuussssshhhhhhh on the accelerator, fully remove foot from accelerator and coast......puuuuuuuuusssssshhhhhh on the accelerator, fully remove foot from accelerator. People dont even realize they do it, but if you ride with them, you can hear the engine "reeevvvvvvvvvvv"....... nothing....... "reeeeevvvvvvvvv" ..... nothing, constantly.

The first time they get into an EV and drive it, when they go to "puuuuussshhhhh" and then take their foot fully off the accelerator, the car decelerates like downshifting a manual, and they get disoriented. I guarantee this is what this OP is doing. They have to re learn how to hold their foot still while driving. You dont coast in a tesla by taking your foot off the accelerator, you coast by modulating your foot pressure on the accelerator (the same way one does in a manual transmission vehicle).

It doesnt take much to re learn it (for most people), and then a regular ICE vehicle tends to feel dangerous, what with the car just "running away" when you remove pressure from the accelerator to "engine brake".

Note, I do NOT use the 1 pedal driving mode in my model 3. That mode did not exist when I bought the vehicle, and I am not interested in fully re training myself to ignore the brake pedal, because I still drive my wifes ICE (BMW X3). I use the mode which slows the car, but in order to come to a complete stop I still have to step on the brake pedal.

Some people like the fully 1 pedal driving, but I personally dont like that mode, if one ever drives ICE vehicles.