Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I return my Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, what's done is done. It's not that hard to learn to drive with strong regen brake. Other people can do it, so can you.
I guess I'm just really frustrated and upset, I thought I can reduce the regen with a setting. I spent 72k on this car which was way more than I wanted to spend and now have this big problem that kinda ruins the whole things for me. I kinda prefer driving my 10 year old piece of crap hyundai

I drove just an hour and back a couple days ago and my foot is still hurting me from having to keep constant pressure on the accelerator instead of letting it rest like a normal car.

I didn't know it was way stronger in the performance. I thought they were the same and it was just a setting in the vehicle.
if it's in good condition and low miles i bet you could sell it for almost as much as you bought it, if you really hate it that much. I test drove M3LR, M3P, MYLR and MYP before deciding which one I liked, sucks that you made a hasty decision.

I guess I'm just really frustrated and upset, I thought I can reduce the regen with a setting. I spent 72k on this car which was way more than I wanted to spend and now have this big problem that kinda ruins the whole things for me. I kinda prefer driving my 10 year old piece of crap hyundai

I drove just an hour and back a couple days ago and my foot is still hurting me from having to keep constant pressure on the accelerator instead of letting it rest like a normal car.
You're projecting your anxiety from overspending on the vehicle into a problem with the vehicle. Psychology 101.

if it's in good condition and low miles i bet you could sell it for almost as much as you bought it, if you really hate it that much. I test drove M3LR, M3P, MYLR and MYP before deciding which one I liked, sucks that you made a hasty decision.
It wasnt even hasty, the sales guy told me it was a setting in the car. I thought the LR one I drove just must've had it set lower

It wasnt even hasty, the sales guy told me it was a setting in the car. I thought the LR one I drove just must've had it set lower
Actually, regen setting is not even an option for MY, LR or P. It's just there, you can't turn it off or adjust it. Maybe the motor in the P is different so it has stronger regen.

The only setting is for what the car does when letting go of brake, which is creep, roll, or hold.

Yeah I know that now, which is why I'm pissed off he told me that
If you had bought a 2020 model Y you would be able to adjust the regen setting. Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, decided to remove the option for the 2021 model year.

Your only options, if you don’t like it, is to get used to it or sell the car. The good news is you can probably get close to MSRP selling privately.

Yeah I know that now, which is why I'm pissed off he told me that

@hypeforeal when did this discussion happen? The 2020 model year units had a low or standard regen setting, so the salesperson may not have been lying if the discussion was back then. Or even shortly after the 2021's were introduced, he may not have realized/remembered that the setting was removed for 2021s.

For longer drives, maybe you could try the TACC (traffic-aware cruise control)? It's not perfect (many experience phantom breaking from time to time) but should allow you to rest your foot at least for periods of time.

I can't feel any difference between a performance and long range as far as the regen is concerned. Unless they had an older demo where the regen was changeable, I don't think this is a real thing.