Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I/Should I/Jump-start an ICE battery with my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 12V system on a Tesla is rather weak compared to ICE. It's only there to keep the electronics running and doesn't need to deliver high current to turn a starter like in an ICE. Of course the main battery pack has enough current, but the voltage is incompatible (as well as being inaccessible).

With my old Buick it took me a couple of months sitting in the driveway before I got around to getting it sold. I got one of those starter battery packs to jump start the car when I forgot to start it and run it once or twice a week. They work pretty good and can be used for other purposes like recharging a cell phone during a power outage.

"The 12V system on a Tesla is rather weak compared to ICE."

Not true! Our cars all have power steering on the 12V bus. That can take a lot of power.
The system is run by a converter connected to the main battery. It may be capable of many Amps but not necessarily enough to start a V8. If the current draw gets too high, it limits the output or may even shut down.

"The 12V system on a Tesla is rather weak compared to ICE."

Not true! Our cars all have power steering on the 12V bus. That can take a lot of power.
The system is run by a converter connected to the main battery. It may be capable of many Amps but not necessarily enough to start a V8. If the current draw gets too high, it limits the output or may even shut down.

There is a difference between jumpstarting a car and charging a battery. You could definitely use the Tesla to recharge someone's battery but that doesn't mean it has enough Cold Cranking Amps to jumpstart a car with a very dead battery.

Anyone know the CCA rating on the Tesla 12v battery?

There is a difference between jumpstarting a car and charging a battery. You could definitely use the Tesla to recharge someone's battery but that doesn't mean it has enough Cold Cranking Amps to jumpstart a car with a very dead battery.

Anyone know the CCA rating on the Tesla 12v battery?

Just like on the Prius I would aaaume the Tesla has a deep cycle battery and not one with much in the way of cold cranking amps as the Tesla does not need CCA (neither does the Prius since the starter runs on the main battery).

I am curious how bad jumping another car off a Tesla would be. When first connecting the terminals the Tesla 12v battery would try to equalize with the dead cars battery. This would drag down the 12v battery and presumably the DC to DC converter that keeps the Tesla battery charger would fire up and flow its maximum rated current? I presume it is self limiting and would cap out at some amperage?

Leaving it hooked up when trying to crank the ICE engine would be interesting as well. I think often times folks don’t realize how much of the starting effort of the ICE is still coming from the discharged battery or from the energy that was transferred to it after hooking it up but before trying to crank it. Unless you are trying with a dead flat battery, it only takes a little current to push it over the edge to start the ICE. Most jumper cables have really bad connections and can’t actially flow that much current.

So yeah, until we know more, I would avoid it, though there are a lot of things Tesla says not to do for no clear reason that folks regularly do anyway. (charging off a generator being one of them)

Note that the main difffernce between start batteries and deep cycle batteries is the thickness of the plates. The start batteries have more thinner plates which improves starting current, but makes them more fragile. Deep cycle have thicker plates but not as much CCA.

FWIW, I could see that dragging down the 12v bus during ICE cranking could cause unintended behaviors to Tesla electronics depending on a stabile 12v source. Probably just easier for Tesla to say not to do it than to actually test.