Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I take the Dual Motor emblem off the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know most of you are waiting to have yours put on . My wife took the car in to replace the windshield this week and they asked her if she wanted them to put the Dual Motor emblem on. She of course said yes. The problem is, I already have chrome delete done so the T in the back is painted black. It’s going to look weird. I just wonder if I can pull it off by hand . They are putting it on over PPF. I guess I could call the place that did my film and ask .

The sooner you take badges off the better.
This is because the longer the adhesive stays in contact with the substrate (ESPECIALLY PPF) the more it will etch a permanent stain and also be harder remove without damaging the paint.
Using heat is fine but be very careful not to get it too hot, you should still be able to touch that area comfortably. Again, with PPF be even more cautious, its nowhere near as durable as the factory paint for this sort of thing.
Lastly, using floss is a popular method that has earned me literally thousands of dollars over the decades by the damage it causes when used improperly. Why? Because people just thread the floss behind the badge and start sawing back and forth unaware of the gouges they are inflicting on the paint underneath due to using too much force and/or small sediment being stuck to the adhesive that becomes sand paper against the paint's surface. (When they're done causing the damage I get a call to correct the area at a cost that is much more than if they just asked a professional to do it for them. Heck I'll even do it for free for existing clients.)

If warming it up carefully with a hairdryer and gently pulling it up with your fingernail isn't doing the trick then understand that now you're entering a higher-risk method by using floss.
To use floss safely, thread it behind the badge and keep the tension on the back of the badge as much as possible (as opposed to keeping the thread tight up against the paint. Then carefully saw it back and forth while occasionally checking to see if it will now release with your nail.
To remove any adhesive residue use a Sap & Tar Remover with very little pressure as you rub it off, let the chemical do the work. Then don't forget to re-wax that area.

If you have PPF it really is advisable to just take it to the shop that installed it or a reputable, i.e. IDA Certified Detailer to have them remove it safely. There's just so much that can go wrong.

If you use heat gun/hair dryer and fishing line - make sure you pull the fishing line parallel to the surface the whole time until the badge is all the way off. Resist the urge to rush things along and start pulling more diagonal or perpendicular as it starts to loosen. Sometimes you'll end up scratching the clear coat with the last part of the edge of the symbol/badge. You basically end up turning the badge into a lever while the last piece of it is still adhering. Reheat if necessary, don't rush it, use something like Goo Gone Automotive to clean off any residue, apply some kind of seal/wax/protectant after you're done. It's easy. Good luck!