Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can location be turned off to non driving authorized users?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok we do live in a world where everyone always wants to know where we are. Life 360, FB, Wife, Kids mother in law...so on. :) Is it possible that the primary account holder, turn of location data for the other authorized users, without having to go through the Security Screen and shutting down all tracking? Simply put to just shut out or pause anyone not in the car. Its rather annoying that the primary account holder/owner does not have more command authority over the other users and they remotely see everything.

I don't know why(actually I do LOL) it pisses me off so much when get a call from spouse: "Hey Cristine(Car) said you are on your way home." and I cant turn that crap off without logging in and shutting down the cameras etc. What if it said Cristine is heading out to the S...ocial Club. Wife may have a self destruct button under controls?

Ok we do live in a world where everyone always wants to know where we are. Life 360, FB, Wife, Kids mother in law...so on. :) Is it possible that the primary account holder, turn of location data for the other authorized users, without having to go through the Security Screen and shutting down all tracking? Simply put to just shut out or pause anyone not in the car. Its rather annoying that the primary account holder/owner does not have more command authority over the other users and they remotely see everything.

I don't know why(actually I do LOL) it pisses me off so much when get a call from spouse: "Hey Cristine(Car) said you are on your way home." and I cant turn that crap off without logging in and shutting down the cameras etc. What if it said Cristine is heading out to the S...ocial Club. Wife may have a self destruct button under controls?
You can submit a feature request.

For now, you might want to be creative with what you have:

You can turn off remote access.

Anyone with access to the app for your car should have their own account, user name, and password: You then turn on or off their access independently at any time.

The problem with locking out them out of your location access is curiosity: They might wonder why, and it becomes suspicious...

Or put a bike or a scooter in your trunk, park your car, and do your personal business using your bike or scooter.
LMAO. Show up at some adult venue in a scooter :) I am kidding of course,
It would just be nice to find some privacy not have 5 different people see what lane I am in or how fast etc..
Seem to be such easy feature, just like on an IPHONE in 2 seconds you can turn off location. Anyhow I am fine with shutting down system from Security and entering login/pw...just an annoyance that's all and it also locks out EVERYONE..so even primary account holder does not get access.

Anyhow the answer is: NO WAY to easily drop off the grid on a Tesla. Time to buy a Chevt Volt! But a scooter might be faster....

Is it possible that the primary account holder, turn of location data for the other authorized users, without having to go through the Security Screen and shutting down all tracking?

No, not if they have app access. You can stop someone using the app from messing with your media controls in the app, but you cant turn off location selectively.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Drop an AirTag in the console for tracking.
That would be counter to what were trying to achieve here LOL..
But yup thats another annoying tracker. It's not about cheating, for me, its just annoying in principle. Even my 70yo mother in law (I am a grown adult) calls me and sais oh poor baby you worked all weekend I noticed you were at work. ARGHHHHHHHH!!! LOL. Well I would have thought Elon (with all his ladies and planes) would have opted for some easy to use privacy options. But topic closed. Maybe next update. :(

I want to allow family members the ability to use my Tesla (or move it out of the way) but I don't necessarily want them knowing my whereabouts anytime they want to snoop. If I turn off location tracking then I don't know where my car is. That sucks.