Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model X 75D do Groveland SC to Mammoth Lakes over Tioga?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip for summer and given Tioga is closed right now, the trip planner in my car isn't obliging, so asking the community for help.

I plan to charge to 100% @Groveland near Yosemite and then go to Mammoth Lakes. Before booking the hotels, I wanted to see if anyone else has successfully done this. We'd be fully loaded (6 passengers + luggage)

I used evtripplanner and it says I'll need 56kwh, but I am worried it is being optimistic.
For example, to calibrate evtripplanner, I compared it against the car's planner from bay area to Groveland,. The car trip planner says I'll use 90% of the charge. With 72.6 usable, that comes to 65kwh. For the same journey, evtripplanner says I'll need 56kwh - so there is 9kwh discrepancy. Therefore I am feeling a bit hesitant to trust evtripplanner and risk stranding my family on Tioga pass!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks @sub and @McManX.
Do you know if the EV chargers in the valley are usually available? I will be traveling through there on a Thursday

I just looked at the route again out of curioisity on ABRP. It says if you leave groveland with 97% you will arrive at mammoth SpC with 10%. That is cutting it close but you can slow down if need be. I wouldn't hesitate to do it and most likely will soon.

The other option is Sonora pass then Detroit north about 30 miles to charge then backtrack. When you factor in entry fee to Yosemite to pass through the detour isn't as bad. Need a charger south of 108 on the east side.

Just posted on Yosemite Park Facebook page
Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) will open on Monday, May 21, at 9 am! With stormy weather in the forecast, short-term road closures may be possible. Drive cautiously, watching for water, debris, and wildlife along the road. Call 209/372-0200 (then 1,1) to check current road conditions.

No services or campgrounds are yet available along the road, however, the wilderness center will open on Monday, and will also serve as a temporary visitor center.

Many of the hiking trails at higher elevations remain wet and/or snowy: please remain on trails, even if they have standing water, in order to avoid creating new trails.

Has anyone made this trip yet (Groveland SC -> Mammoth SC in a X 75D)?

I literally picked up my X 75D yesterday (love it!) and just found out that an uncle of mine has decided to celebrate his 70th in Mammoth. Looking at a map it seems so easy but I hadn't considered the extreme elevation gain and was saddened to see the trip planner in the car show arrival in mammoth with only 12%.

I literally picked up my X 75D yesterday (love it!) and just found out that an uncle of mine has decided to celebrate his 70th in Mammoth. Looking at a map it seems so easy but I hadn't considered the extreme elevation gain and was saddened to see the trip planner in the car show arrival in mammoth with only 12%.

12% is not bad. Start slow and use cruise control, can speed up on 395 when you see you have extra range. Remember driving in Yosemite will be slower than expected.

Have not done it yet but did drive over Sonora pass to Reno not long ago, the NAV is very accurate and takes into account the elevation. I agree with above, start off slow and just keep an eye on that 12% number and slow down if necessary. My experience is that the NAV is slightly on the conservative side by 3-5% if you drive around the speed limit.

> Have not done it yet but did drive over Sonora pass to Reno not long ago, the NAV is very accurate and takes into account the elevation.

Appreciate the input!

I've just taken a couple of day trips so far (~40miles out and ~40 miles back, mixed driving, rolling hills, etc in the Bay Area) and the NAV seems to be right on the money if I keep it in the speed limit to +5mph range with adaptive cruise.

Uncle's birthday isn't until October... but I'll probably still give it a try and report back how it goes. Originally I was thinking I'd pack my brother in law and my nephew in the car with my wife and 2 kids; probably not worth it since I'll have to listen to him belly aching about how slow we're going the whole time...

Reactions: Galve2000
We just did this in our S 75 (single motor - so the range should be comparable considering extra weight/profile of X). No issue at all, as you will regain a lot of range on the descents. Plus, you are not travelling faster than 45 mph. You will be fine.

We charged slightly over 90% in Groveland and arrived in ML just fine. From Tioga to ML is mostly a descent, that helps to remove any anxiety.

We just did this in our S 75 (single motor - so the range should be comparable considering extra weight/profile of X). No issue at all, as you will regain a lot of range on the descents. Plus, you are not travelling faster than 45 mph. You will be fine.

We charged slightly over 90% in Groveland and arrived in ML just fine. From Tioga to ML is mostly a descent, that helps to remove any anxiety.

Brilliant! Plan was to stop in Groveland for lunch and just top it off to close to 100%. The kids will want to run around anyway and having been to Groveland a few times before it seems as good a place as any. Certainly beats a strip mall.

Based on my nerding-out on our current Wh/Mile rates, ABRP, and the forum feedback this all sounds like it should be no problem so long as I don't let my wife and her lead foot take that leg of the trip ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: vkathuria