Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can my Dashcam get me out of this speeding ticket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told you your argument. It is unreasonable to ask you to cut your speed in half in 50 feet. The video provides your case (I can tell that many posters didn't bother to actually look at it). This is why the cop said you passed several 20mph signs when clearly you didn't. So, get him to court, ask him the questions (I'd be more then happy to give you the list) and then present your video and case. I've seen many, you have a good one and I'm not one to say that lightly.

F06B049A-B369-4E02-8D2C-9448B960125D.jpeg

76791177-F25A-46E5-A836-94AFDB89345B.jpeg

19F62A38-7363-484B-9953-6AC6A5472686.jpeg

In order of appearance:
  1. Reduced speed ahead sign
  2. Police officer and 20 MPH speed limit sign to the left of the bus
  3. Police officer and 20 MPH speed limit sign to the right of the bus

Thank you for the reply, but that looks a lot more than 50 feet to me. That's probably more like 150 feet. I wish I were more convinced by your though-process, is what I'm saying. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out, though.

*EDIT*

Ahh I think I follow you. Your argument is the distance from where the bus gets out of the way to when the speed-limit sign is for me to react?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
One more reason why it's worth fighting in court is that the office might not show up in court for one reason or another, and you'll automatically win your case. There's very little downside outside of you taking the time to show up.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
About your best defense is to find out when the last speed survey was done (if I recall they must be performed yearly)...A city engineer can overide based on safety issues (schools, foot traffic, residential) I forget all of the details....
This is at the airport, on a road that either goes to the departures, arrivals, or parking. It is not a normal road. A speed survey isn't going to go anywhere because just past that second bend people are loading and unloading cars, driving slowly in and out of traffic, and often stopping in lanes of traffic. It's a special circumstances area where you don't want people driving quickly and coming on stopped traffic around a blind corner.

You could try to determine what the temporary electric sign that was not working was supposed to be showing. Maybe it said "20MPH zone ahead" or "reduced speed ahead".
The signs say to use departures if arrivals traffic is bad, or to use arrivals if departures traffic is bad. They don't mention the speed limit changes. Source: I've been there 4 times this month.

Fighting the ticket might get it reduced, but I doubt it will get tossed out. You're right that cars don't usually slow to 20 by the first sign, but that's still the speed limit at that point, whether people choose to follow it or not. I make a concerted effort to slow there, and even if I'm over 20 (which I often am), I make sure I'm not the fastest. There are usually plenty of cabs and airport shuttles who are willing to be my rabbit in that area. Seeing a police car sitting there, you can believe I'd be driving 20 when I passed him by.

Reactions: Big Earl
Disclaimer I’m not an attorney.

I’ve attempted to fight bullshit tickets in the past and lost. If you want to fight it, hire an attorney...and expect to lose.

Based on my experiences, do not admit any possibility of guilt, admitting that you could have been going 21mph when you passed the sign means you’re guilty of speeding and the charges will stand. The legal system doesn’t use logic, it uses semantics to make you pay. As much as it pains me, traffic court (especially) is guilty until proven innocent. I used to have many run ins with police (I used to speed often), and found out quickly that the legal system is a money making system more than anything else.

This is at the airport, on a road that either goes to the departures, arrivals, or parking. It is not a normal road. A speed survey isn't going to go anywhere because just past that second bend people are loading and unloading cars, driving slowly in and out of traffic, and often stopping in lanes of traffic. It's a special circumstances area where you don't want people driving quickly and coming on stopped traffic around a blind corner.

The signs say to use departures if arrivals traffic is bad, or to use arrivals if departures traffic is bad. They don't mention the speed limit changes. Source: I've been there 4 times this month.

Fighting the ticket might get it reduced, but I doubt it will get tossed out. You're right that cars don't usually slow to 20 by the first sign, but that's still the speed limit at that point, whether people choose to follow it or not. I make a concerted effort to slow there, and even if I'm over 20 (which I often am), I make sure I'm not the fastest. There are usually plenty of cabs and airport shuttles who are willing to be my rabbit in that area. Seeing a police car sitting there, you can believe I'd be driving 20 when I passed him by.
In California all roads require them, tickets can still be handed out. However, if surveys are not done or out of date the ticket can be thrown out by a judge.

Forensic investigators can use video to determine speed by measuring the distance between known markers on the road and the speed at which you see them go by in the video. If you could get that analysis done I think it would resolve your question of speed.

At the very least, if you can show this was the first sign from the video, the judge may remove points and have you just pay the fine, or some portion.

For the video to be admissible in court, there needs to be a clear chain of custody, and it needs to be established that the footage wasn't altered. Who is going to spend thousands of dollars to hire an expert to appear in court, only for that expert to say, "Yep, I agree with the owner. He was speeding. Just like the officer said."

I feel like people are forgetting that the original post says that the Tesla driver knew he was exceeding the speed limit.

For the video to be admissible in court, there needs to be a clear chain of custody, and it needs to be established that the footage wasn't altered. Who is going to spend thousands of dollars to hire an expert to appear in court, only for that expert to say, "Yep, I agree with the owner. He was speeding. Just like the officer said."

I feel like people are forgetting that the original post says that the Tesla driver knew he was exceeding the speed limit.

I didn't "know" I was exceeding the speed limit. My excuse was to use the sign as my defense (which apparently isn't one, anyway - at least not in WA State). I wasn't super clear, either way. I didn't even see the 20mph sign until way too late because of that large bus/van vehicle moving across my path.

Still weighing my options. I'll let you know how this all works out.

PS I'm a dude. He/him, please.

I think that you are pretty much boned, speaking as an accountant and not a lawyer.

Once in awhile, you can beat a traffic ticket if the government agency did not comply with the proper markings and signage. Because it is an airport, it is unclear whether the roads and parking lots are under local or federal jurisdiction.

I am certain that Washington State has its Streets and Highways Code (or the equivalent) whereby the rules are laid out for proper signage, lane widths, speed limits--the list goes on. It could very well be buried in the Code that these notification signs must be on both sides of a one-way street that exceeds X lanes, or that have merging traffic from one direction. You would be surprised how often the traffic department does not follow the law, or ignores the law due to costs and budgeting constraints.

My last ticket was in 1988. I exited a campus parking lot onto the street by slowing down to a crawl before merging onto the street. I was cited for failure to stop. There had been a stop sign that was partially obscured by overgrown bushes that I did not see. It was nighttime, and it was very foggy. The ground had a faded limit line at the intersection, but there was no paint on the blacktop that said, "S T O P".

I returned to the scene of the crime the following night and took several pictures of the obscured stop sign, the faded limit line, and the absence of any road paint. The heavy fog magnified the fact that there was inadequate notification to the driver. I went to the law library, and I found the relevant law concerning pavement markings and signage. The city did not maintain its streets with proper signage and paint. It was all handed over to the judge as defense exhibits.

I fought the ticket, and despite the pleadings of the officer, the judge dismissed the citation.

The judge will side with whatever the officer states in court. You are guilty until proven innocent. You will have to spend quite a sum of money to win.
When I was a teen I went to traffic school with my first ticket (I totally deserved it).
My second ticket was 100% BS. The officer knew it. The judge knew it. But they had each other’s back. I lost. I didn’t have the money to appeal.
My third ticket was also BS (officer hit me with radar gun while I was going under freeway overpass). I knew I was going to lose but I might as well try. Officer didn’t show up and I won.
Fourth and fifth ticket I also deserved. One of which was in a similar situation to yours.

View attachment 435832
View attachment 435831
View attachment 435833

In order of appearance:
  1. Reduced speed ahead sign
  2. Police officer and 20 MPH speed limit sign to the left of the bus
  3. Police officer and 20 MPH speed limit sign to the right of the bus

Reduce speed AHEAD... when a new sign tells you what to reduce it to not "Reduce speed NOW". To place a squad car AT the new speed limit is unreasonable. The OP loses NOTHING by making a case to the judge. The only way to guarantee a loss is to not try.

The judge will side with whatever the officer states in court. You are guilty until proven innocent. You will have to spend quite a sum of money to win.

It costs ZERO dollars to contest a ticket on your own.

I don't get why so many people are so vested in just giving up... what do you have to lose?

Evidence:

5 seconds between seeing speed sign and passing it. Actually more, as it was visible much earlier when left of bus(?). The photos are pretty poor, so difficult to judge, but is this a reasonable amount of time to react to the speed sign if you were within the limit on the run up to the sign. Parked Police car would make the situation unusual, so I would say that this would put driver on higher state of awareness - but of course, you were on AP, so you may not have had this extra benefit - no defense.

In UK, our fixed cameras have markings on the road so that you can retrospectively calculate speed of car using a different method. These are similar to sort of markings on last photo. How fast were you going when you passed these. I would think that it would have been sensible for speed gun would be aimed at this approximate distance, thus if you know the distance between the horizontal lines, you can determine your speed.

Untrained eye witness:

From the video, I don't visually detect much of a speed decrease between passing the 20 sign and passing these lines except maybe just as you were about to cross the first set of lines - by which time you were well passed the start of the speed limit.

Screenshot (167).jpg
Screenshot (171).jpg

Screenshot (166).jpg