Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can my friend transfer his Cybertruck reservation to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buddy of mine reserved the long range Cybertruck upon the release event.

He no longer wants the car, and I would gladly take his spot. Do you know how/what’s the best way to take the reservation?

If he doesn't have any other Teslas on his tesla account, he can just hand you the login credentials for the account and you can change the contact info to you.

If he has other cars, you're mostly out of luck.
Thank you, makes sense. Would there be any issues since I already have a car on my account? Would I be able to switch between two accounts?

Also, Would it be possible to in fact transfer the car to my account? For example, if I take delivery and financing and then just ask Tesla to switch it to my user

Also, Would it be possible to in fact transfer the car to my account? For example, if I take delivery and financing and then just ask Tesla to switch it to my user

Tesla has special rules around the Cybertruck to ensure people do not roll-over the truck turning a profit. This applies once you take possession and may or may not apply to a reservation.

Reactions: Kobe8
Tesla has special rules around the Cybertruck to ensure people do not roll-over the truck turning a profit. This applies once you take possession and may or may not apply to a reservation.
Ok thank you. Curious if anyone has had luck with transferring the reservation, not necessarily after possession.

Thank you, makes sense. Would there be any issues since I already have a car on my account? Would I be able to switch between two accounts?

I'm not sure how that would work. You already have an account tied to your email address; normally when you buy a second car, it gets added to that account. You'd have to end up using whatever email address and login credentials your friend used to get the reservation. I guess you could try and change it once you have access to it, but I imagine it would still have his name and other info on it (address, etc). Typically, Tesla doesn't allow reservations to be shifted to someone else, so no solution will make it as easy to manage as you simply ordering one yourself.

You'd have to end up using whatever email address and login credentials your friend used to get the reservation. I guess you could try and change it once you have access to it, but I imagine it would still have his name and other info on it (address, etc).

He would need a different email address, sure, but for the rest, once logged into the friend's account, he can change ALL the contact info to his own. There would be no trace of the original account holder's info.

And keep in mind that as far as Tesla is concerned.. an email address like: [email protected] is different from [email protected], but to Gmail, they're the same address. The 'dots' are ignored.

Once you have two cars on two different accounts, you can ask Tesla to merge them, but it would be easier if say, one account is in your name and the other in your wife's name.

Ok thank you. Curious if anyone has had luck with transferring the reservation, not necessarily after possession.
There is no such thing as "transferring the reservation".
If your friend is willing to relinquish control of whatever email account was used to make the reservation, you can take over that account and proceed to impersonate the email account holder. You can update that account's first/last name to match yours, but all of that is basically contingent on your friend having setup a "throw-away" email account for the purpose of CT reservation in the first place. If he used his primary email, for whatever reason, it would be massively inconvenient for him to relinquish control over that email account.

Once you take delivery of the CT, you could ask Tesla to "consolidate" multiple email accounts with cars into one.
Anything else beyond that, will not work.

HTH,
a

If your friend is willing to relinquish control of whatever email account was used to make the reservation, you can take over that account and proceed to impersonate the email account holder. You can update that account's first/last name to match yours, but all of that is basically contingent on your friend having setup a "throw-away" email account for the purpose of CT reservation in the first place. If he used his primary email, for whatever reason, it would be massively inconvenient for him to relinquish control over that email account.

You can change the email address on the account once you login. The current account owner could log in and change the email address to a new account, then transfer the entire account. Easy peasey.

No you can’t merge accounts.
Also this might be something: