Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will NOT allow accounts w Cybertruck reservations to change E-mail addresses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"If you let someone take over your entire Tesla account then you can effectively transfer any Cybertruck reservations that exist in that account to another person..."

or so the saying goes which underpins countless eBay listings purporting to let anyone purchase "day one reservations" with a winning bid. unfortunately, it seems that when the seller tries to change the email address associated with the account to the buyer's email address they will encounter the following message:

ct.png

so much for that plan

I have zero idea, and I dont work for tesla or in the auto industry or anything, but if I was going to do this I would specifically target any Tesla account that had only a cybertruck reservation and nothing else.

It would be fairly trivial for Tesla to examine their reservations, and for any cybertruck reservation that is the only thing on an account, turn off the ability to make any changes to the account at all.

Of course, queue the standard scalper response of "why does anyone care if someone makes money on this?" or " This is anti capitalism!" or " We provide a service!" or any other "stuff" that people who scalp stuff say.

Of course, queue the standard scalper response of "why does anyone care if someone makes money on this?" or " This is anti capitalism!" or " We provide a service!" or any other "stuff" that people who scalp stuff say.

My industry had to deal with this (rate regulated, gas utility infrastructure). Specifically we didn't want to allow entities who held capacity on our pipelines to be able to resell that capacity to 3rd parties. In essence creating a competitive market with our own product. USA Feds stepped in as part of our regulated structure and forced it and we had to learn to adapt. I see this much in the same light (minus the regulated part); Tesla will resist because it is a form of competition solely from their own product line. Counterpoint is that the scalper isn't a real market, although the situation does create a temporary artificial scarcity.

I have zero idea, and I dont work for tesla or in the auto industry or anything, but if I was going to do this I would specifically target any Tesla account that had only a cybertruck reservation and nothing else.

It would be fairly trivial for Tesla to examine their reservations, and for any cybertruck reservation that is the only thing on an account, turn off the ability to make any changes to the account at all.

i take no issue w tesla employing anti-scalping tactics. in my case, my friend ordered a CT believing the price would be significantly less. he can no longer afford to proceed with the transaction. he knows i want one and would love to gift me his reservation, but at this point i do not see this as a viable option. he certainly does not want to give me full control of the associated email account, and i highly doubt that strat would work anyway.

the idea of a double sales tax scenario is a non-starter for both of us, not to mention the potential consequences from tesla if we tried to make a move after delivery.

if tesla is in fact going to be this hardcore with CT reservations combined with the material price bump, you have to wonder what percentage of the 2M+ cybertruck pre-orders will be fully cancelled? not to mention the elon factor...

in my case, my friend ordered a CT believing the price would be significantly less. he can no longer afford to proceed with the transaction.
Then, your friend should proceed forward with requesting a refund for their pre order, since the terms changed. Anyone in that understandable situation should do that.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 2.41.28 PM.png

Anything else is either some form of scalping, or line jumping. The fact that your friend doesnt want the reservation any longer doesnt have anything at all to do with selling, giving or otherwise transferring it to anyone else.

Then, your friend should proceed forward with requesting a refund for their pre order, since the terms changed. Anyone in that understandable situation should do that.

View attachment 1007779

Anything else is either some form of scalping, or line jumping. The fact that your friend doesnt want the reservation any longer doesnt have anything at all to do with selling, giving or otherwise transferring it to anyone else.

i am going to have to disagree with you there. i think it's OK for a friend or family member to pass on their reservation with no money changing hands. do you consider it "line jumping" when some dude joins his GF already in line for popcorn at the movies? where do you draw the line? is it based on some arbitrary monetary value of the product or service in question? or perhaps a certain level of intimacy between the 2 parties is your litmus test? does marriage make it OK? can i use my wife's reservation and put the truck in my name?

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and afadeev
Tesla has no problem with single, joint, or trust. So if one wants to get close like liability close, I guess you could.

This is a high demand product. The last thing Tesla wants is these trading at some premium. Tesla also can't have a department of excuses. Those employees could be delivering trucks or being on line. The department of excuses would lead to a supervisor of such department and then having to talk to Elon. Which leads me to say that there will never be such a department.

Everyone saw the terms. Some didn't think they apply. Tesla at their discretion can make a decision. It will likely be final.

do you consider it "line jumping" when some dude joins his GF already in line for popcorn at the movies? where do you draw the line?
I consider it line jumping when someone sits in a black friday line overnight and then has like 5 people roll up to join them 15 minutes before it opens. I dont want any black friday product enough to do that, but in my younger days I worked for BestBuy and saw EXACTLY THAT so many darn times its not even funny.

The problem with "Friend giving" is that for every Legitimate "Friend giving" story there are like 10 people who (airquotes) "Friend giving" with money changing hands later.

If people were not so crappy about this kind of stuff in general, then real circumstances could and should be allowed... but they ARE crappy about it, someone is always trying to get over on something.

Tesla is a private business legally. (publicly traded, yes, but as a business entity it is private)
They can do whatever they want within the law.
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't tell you if there is any kind of legislation against doing this, but I'd say if Tesla is doing it, they're pretty sure from a legal standpoint that they are either allowed to, or aren't worried about the consequences.

I'm a free market kind of person. If someone has something, and someone else is willing to pay them for it, I say fine.
Anyone trying to be mad about that is just jealous and petty.
Scalping is the most basic example of a supply/demand free market society. I'll take it over the alternative every time.

The above Best Buy black friday example breaks unwritten social rules. But it's not illegal.
But at the same time, Best Buy would be perfectly within their rights as a private business to go outside and deny entrance to any parties that they choose, line jumpers or not.
So we need people to be decent human beings and abide by the social rules, just to avoid chaos.
But just about every law that has been written is because of the very few ruining it for the many. It just take one case to cause all kinds of new laws to be written, just so something that one person did can't be repeated.
Everyone remembers that one kid that would act out in class and ruin something for the whole class. Same principle at a societal level. If a fight breaks out in that line in front of Best Buy because someone took offence to a line cutter, that's going to inevitably lead to Best Buy not allowing lines outside, because they don't want the neg press. So whether it's selfishness, privilege, or just general ignorance, the bad apples will always need rules/laws to discourage them.
It would be a phenomenal world if we were all decent, unselfish, and courteous to our fellow humans. But, I'm a realist.

The above Best Buy black friday example breaks unwritten social rules. But it's not illegal.
But at the same time, Best Buy would be perfectly within their rights as a private business to go outside and deny entrance to any parties that they choose, line jumpers or not.

i think it is worth mentioning that the best buy example is not really representative. there is a big difference between exchanging your spot in line w someone else and then going home vs having 5 buddies join you in line at the last minute.

the former does not negatively affect those in line behind you, whereas the latter certainly does.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Tesla has no problem with single, joint, or trust. So if one wants to get close like liability close, I guess you could.

This is a high demand product. The last thing Tesla wants is these trading at some premium. Tesla also can't have a department of excuses. Those employees could be delivering trucks or being on line. The department of excuses would lead to a supervisor of such department and then having to talk to Elon. Which leads me to say that there will never be such a department.

Everyone saw the terms. Some didn't think they apply. Tesla at their discretion can make a decision. It will likely be final.
Give it a while, it won’t be in high demand for long. Once all the Musketeers get theirs the demand will fall like a rock.

i think it is worth mentioning that the best buy example is not really representative. there is a big difference between exchanging your spot in line w someone else and then going home vs having 5 buddies join you in line at the last minute.

the former does not negatively affect those in line behind you, whereas the latter certainly does.
Very true. Not an apples to apples compare.
I don't see anyone going to Best Buy in the wee hours of black friday to get a top spot in line, and then trying to sell that spot to someone. Not a very profitable one-and-done kind of market.

I used to work in the ticket broker industry in the late 90's. It can be very lucrative.
It is very much a haves and have nots kind of industry. But I still think it's funny when people get upset about it.
Event tickets are for entertainment. Hence, they are, at their essence, a luxury purchase.
Getting mad about ticket prices is just jealousy plain and simple. I'm sorry some people can't afford to go to a concert or pro sporting event. But it's a business. And the market demand determines the value, which influences the prices. That's basic capitalism. It's not predatory. No one is forced to buy anything.

Now, when it comes to the monopolistic greed machine that is TicketMaster, I am wholeheartedly on the side of the consumer.
Tickets would be half the price if they went away (or at least down some %, which meant more went to the artist). And I am completely for that. Companies like that are the real enemies.
If you eliminated them, the base prices of tix would go way down, the local availability of tix could improve, and many more regular folks could afford to go.
But the music industry, for example, has grown accustomed to being able to sell out entire tours before it even starts. So they rely on that to make their scheduling easier, their budgeting easier, basically all aspects of a tour can be predetermined when they can go to one resource online and know how much money they're going to make. And because of that influence the record labels and music industry leaders have, they want TicketMaster around. They very much prefer it. So I hate it when I hear anyone bashing the brokerage industry simply because they couldn't afford to go see their favorite artist when they come to town. The scalpers would be present at any level of that market. So I just think those people don't really know how the industry works when they lash out at scalpers.
Anyway, just my two sats.

i think it's OK for a friend or family member to pass on their reservation with no money changing hands.

Why?
How about my "friend" from eBay passing a reservation for a "nominal" fee? What is a definition of a "friend", and what is "nominal"?
Friend at work?
Friendly dealer sales rep?
Friendly neighbor who made reservations for the entire town?
Friendly hedge-fund who made reservations for the entire country?

You either have a full free marking of trading in reservations (and tickets to popular concerts), or you don't.
There is really no "half-way-point" that is enforceable and that can not be gamed.

do you consider it "line jumping" when some dude joins his GF already in line for popcorn at the movies? where do you draw the line? is it based on some arbitrary monetary value of the product or service in question? or perhaps a certain level of intimacy between the 2 parties is your litmus test? does marriage make it OK? can i use my wife's reservation and put the truck in my name?

There is no "line". It's either all or nothing.
I'm perfectly OK with "nothing" in terms of non-transferable reservations.

It's either one-person one vote (one reservation one purchase), or it's a free for all that will be optimized by commercial entities with most time and money on their hands.

IMHO,
a

P.S.: If you want to act on your wife's reservation when the time comes, the name on the vehicle title doesn't matter. If it does, you need a new wife as well as a new truck!

Reactions: FLRifleman