Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can my Gen3 Tesla wall connector charge a car with a J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Gen3 wall connector and possibly getting a inexpensive electric car.
Somewhere I read that you can setup the charging startion from Tesla to all, or something like that. And you go to add products in the Tesla app.
I’m my app, there’s only options for another car or power wall.
Someone else said it will work without changing anything and just plug the adapter in and wait 30 seconds, then plug it into the car and it’ll work.

Just curious if this works, or is there somewhere in the Tesla app to do this.
Thank you

You do not need to “add” any products, all you need is a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Here is one of many, just search Google

Thank you. Yes that’s the one I saw and was going to buy. Thank you

I have a Gen3 wall connector and possibly getting a inexpensive electric car.
Somewhere I read that you can setup the charging startion from Tesla to all, or something like that. And you go to add products in the Tesla app.
I’m my app, there’s only options for another car or power wall.
Someone else said it will work without changing anything and just plug the adapter in and wait 30 seconds, then plug it into the car and it’ll work.

Just curious if this works, or is there somewhere in the Tesla app to do this.
Thank you
I think you should read this: Gen 3 Wall Connector Access Control

It says "ALL VEHICLES" is the default. So I'm guessing all I have to do is plug in the car with the Lectron adapter and my wall connector will charge any car with a J1772.

You may also want to consider Tesla-to-J1772 adapter products by TeslaTap.

I have no relationship with that (USA) company, but my understanding is that they provide 'better' products (albeit possibly more expensive than the Asian knock-offs).

I like the fact that at TeslaTap you can select from several different models, designs, and power ratings (e.g., the original short pig-tail, mini-adapter, and long cable; in different amperage levels), depending on your anticipated needs. Plus, plenty of information and assistance for customers on their web sites(s).

If you plan to use a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter a lot, I suggest spending the money and getting the best adapter possible for long-term durability and reliability.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You do not need to “add” any products, all you need is a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Here is one of many, just search Google

Why is it so huge?

1670380402127.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H