Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone explain this sentence from the owner's manual regarding the battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

I have access to a home charger daily. Does this mean that every night I should plug in the charger to the vehicle, even if I am not charging that day? Am I understanding this correctly?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

I have access to a home charger daily. Does this mean that every night I should plug in the charger to the vehicle, even if I am not charging that day? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, you are reading teslas recommendation correctly.

For more than that you can search this subforum for the word "Range", and take a look through those threads. You can start with this one:

Well, yes, but don't drive yourself crazy with it. It doesn't matter if you skip a few days either.

They are trying to keep things simple with one recommendation that has to cover a variety of purposes. So it's like the K.I.S.S. principle.

There was some pervasive myth and misinformation about electric cars quite a while ago that if they were left plugged in, they would overcharge and explode. Tesla was having to dispel that myth, to let people know that it's FINE to keep your car plugged in as often as you want for as long as you want, so you don't need to keep it unplugged on purpose.

Also, they're trying to build good habits for using the car. They don't want people trying to intentionally run it low before charging, and then some travel need comes up, and they don't have enough range, and people are angry at the stupid EV that ruined their plans. So they're trying to keep that reminder to plug in often, so people do have enough range when they need it.

If you have a home charger then you should be charging daily.

And leave it plugged in when it’s done charging so it can use the house power for any pre-conditioning of the cabin or battery and other miscellaneous tasks, especially if you’re in a colder climate.

Any thoughts on charging from this link?

They have stuff in their FAQ that we know isnt correct (like saying its better to discharge the battery deeper ) and they are pushing their app / software. People use it, but If you are asking about whether you should be looking at their FAQ as some sort of definitive info, my opinion is no, absolutely not.

The people at Optiwatt aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Here's an email exchange I had with them:

Screenshot_20221210-181249_Gmail.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Status
Not open for further replies.