Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Model X AP 2.0 record by Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saying a 2.0 vehicle has sentry mode is a friggin joke. Big deal, it has a red circle on the screen. Who cares. Without recorded video footage it doesn’t do anyone any good.
There is no reason the 2.0 vehicles couldn’t record camera footage to USB. They have the ability. Tesla just elects to not allow us 2.0 owners to do so.

really i cant undertand why they didnt allow ap2 to record ??? and it's the same of 2.5 ??
really it's so imporant option ? why tesla do thatttt

it most certainly isn't. Because AP 2.0 was invented when sentry mode wasn't considered to be an option. sentry mode only was invented on the fly after a large number of tesla model 3 break ins and someone complained to elon musk to let the cameras record.

It’s the MCU which causes the lack of ability to record videos. Supposedly footage is transmitted to Tesla on which you can request it. I can’t confirm this.

Actually it is the lack of a second processor in the AP2.0 unit that prevents recording videos. (Sentry/dashcam works just fine with MCU1/AP2.5.) Though MCU2 is required to record the rear video feed.

I respectfully disagree. Unless a person owns a Tesla they have no idea what sentry mode is.
I think sentry mode has been in the media enough that it's known outside of just owners. I believe it is the lack of codecs on the AP2 computer that prevent it recording video and as mentioned on MCU1 that prevent recording the rear camera.

There is a point to sentry mode on AP2 however and that is not confirming that you can't record video. It may not help the owner by providing video of an event, but the flashing lights and claim of video recording might discourage some people. It also apparently has the effect of keeping switched 12V online, which lets people with dashcams that aren't wired for parking mode record while parked.