Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla's Actually See Stop Signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see much testing on Tesla's stop sign and stop light detection so I decided to do a video on it with my son. Please give him some support!

To answer the question, NO there is no actual camera stop sign detection (check video at 1:30 mark) only stop sign detection based off of GPS. However there is camera stop light detection but only when Tesla has specified a stop light exists on the map.

Youtube Video:

Reddit Thread:

Version 10 FSD with HW2.5 or 3.0 is supposed to recognize stop lights and stop signs. I recently read a post saying the car's redundant backup system is actually running these features now and allowing Tesla to compare the results of what the human driver does vs what the computer would have done. Once the two are close enough they will release the feature in Version 10. Who really knows when that will be, but since they are raising the price 11/1 I would hope soon.

Version 10 FSD with HW2.5 or 3.0 is supposed to recognize stop lights and stop signs. I recently read a post saying the car's redundant backup system is actually running these features now and allowing Tesla to compare the results of what the human driver does vs what the computer would have done. Once the two are close enough they will release the feature in Version 10. Who really knows when that will be, but since they are raising the price 11/1 I would hope soon.

Intriguing if HW3 is unneeded for this. If so, what will be the first feature which will absolutely require
HW3? Perhaps sign or light recognition will be weak at first, only providing warning. I assume that actually acting upon four-way stops would require much analysis of cross-traffic, etc. Making unprotected left turns is also quite tricky, even though Zoox and Cruise Automation show these stunts being performed in San Francisco.

Last edited:
I made this up from pictures found on google to show what I seen. First picture is what I noticed on the screen and second one is what it looks like while driving with no modifications.
81D8826E-CB71-4DE5-92AA-BC4D602B0378.png
98E229B2-982D-49CF-A1BD-68B58F47EDDD.png
2019 raven x with full fsd. When I was on 32.2.2 I noticed only once while driving and coming to a red light. On the front dash in the middle you have your speed. To the left of that you have speEd set and to the right you have autopilot (wheel). To the bottom left under the speed set we get the speed limit in the area icon. While I was coming up to a red light the area speed icon changed to a symbol of a red,yellow,green symbol and the red light was brighter then the other 2 lights. Showing a red light just like in real life while making a full stop. It was only visible for about a second but I remember seeing it and I couldn’t believe that it actually realized that there was a red light in front of me. I never seen it come up again.