Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Phantom Braking to Law Breaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I traveled about 125 miles out of Dallas to get home. And while the first 100 miles or so were almost flawless, the last few miles just befuddle me. Specifically one major intersection/roadway near my house. For some reason my car (2021 MSLR FSD) cannot accomplish the most basic of tasks (i.e. stopping for a stop sign/light) at this particular intersection.

I have gotten to a point where I just know my car will do dumb $H!T at this particular place so I normally disconnect the AP when approaching. After speaking with a Tesla mechanic and getting information from a supposed-Engineer, I was told that "the car is probably just going to stop/react later than what you're use to."

So to prove my car is actually NOT going to stop/react I chose a few opportunities when there was no traffic at this particular major intersection to allow the car to go right to the point where I had to go all the way to anti-lock braking to stop the car near the stop sign/stop line, to at least stay "legal," while I record the fact that my car just does not have any reaction at this one particular location. And, the SHOCKING thing (as you can see in the videos) this intersection is very will indicated with signage, flashing red lights, large stop signs, etc.

Last night, very late, on my way home, headed eastbound towards the intersection at the posted 60mph I actually started to dial the speed back slowly to see if maybe allowing the car more time to "see" the intersection would help. But to no avail. I used max braking to barely stop at the stop line.

This morning, again with no traffic, this time heading southbound, I approached the same intersection, once again, anti-lock brakes to get the car to stop close to the stop line but past the stop sign.

Finally, later this afternoon, this time headed northbound, attempting to turn east, the car failed to yield the right of way to a pickup truck that clearly had the right of way as I passed the "Yield" sign.

I'm at a loss how to get Tesla to somehow map this intersection as something that the car NEEDS to stop at, or at the very least, obey the law!