Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the car connect to a WiFi extender?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender AC750 (EX3700) which works fine. I use teslafi to access and store my car stats so having a reliable data connection is worthwhile. Do you have the built in cell data working solidly at home ? Not having home wifi connection is not a killer issue, but nice

Re DHCP - it might be how your router is set up. All other wifi devices at home set up simply ? Rebooted at all ? Both router and car.....

Yes it can. Note that some range extenders change the name of your normal Wi-Fi. For example if your normal Wi-Fi is called “xxx123” then the Wi-Fi extender can be appended to “xxx123-ext”. Not all are this way but some are like the one I bought. Go To where the car is and look with your phone at the available Wi-Fi names. Yours with “-ext” or similar may be visible. Then connect your car to that. Worked liked a charm for me.

Without getting into more details than you may want on a public forum, it's hard to contribute more. If it says check the DHCP settings, then there is probably something set incorrectly. Have you tried connecting other devices to the extender?

I use a cheap TP-Link WiFi extender but I found the Tesla would only connect successfully if I had the extender configured to provide DHCP for locally connected devices. I set the extender to use a small range of IP addresses that are outside the range covered by DHCP on the broadband router - but still in the same subnet.