Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Grey Slipstream wheels be ordered at a service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my car or the pics of my classic wheels now that I've had them powder coated, but I think that's something that you may want to consider. Mine didn't turn out to be the exact color that I wanted, but I get compliments on them everywhere I go. The classic wheels do an excellent job of exposing the wheel well to showcase the sporty red calipers.

I think mine are an exact match. Don't forget to do the center caps at the same time. You can see a photo from before they were done. My wheel guy also did my lug nut covers in matching paint. I believe factory lug nut colors are only chromed and black.

Attachments

• WP_20170905_15_36_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170905_15_36_03_Pro.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 291
  • WP_20170905_14_34_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170905_14_34_03_Pro.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 241
  • WP_20170905_15_36_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170905_15_36_48_Pro.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Got the quote for the grey wheels alone, no tires, from the Burlingame service center: $1,200 + tax ($300 each wheel). To mount and balance the tires and swap the tire sensors over to the new wheels would cost $50 each wheel.

That's actually a reasonable price. I may have to consider this option.

Turns out the service center's parts department misquoted me: these numbers above were for the silver wheels. The grey wheels are apparently $800 per wheel! (+ tax) Ridiculously high so, am staying with my vanilla wheels :(

Looks like the winter package in 19" silver is $2500 and in 19" Grey is $3,900, an increase of $1400 or $350/wheel.

Well I guess Tesla just charges what the market will bear. Perhaps they will lower the price if there isn't much interest in the grey for that price. I know that when I was shopping for my Model S the grey wheel option was a $2500 upcharge and now it's $1500 so maybe they will eventually lower the price for post-delivery upgrades also. I think the better option would be to just just order the Tsportline wheels. They look at little better in my eyes and they don't charge extra for grey paint!

In all cases keep in mind that a downside to having non OEM wheels, or tires that aren't current or past OEM Tesla tires, Tesla won't touch them. they won't balance them or rotate them or install them. Have to bear the risk of a non-Tesla shop putting the car up on a their rack on monkeying around under the car.

Will Tesla still work with OEM wheels but powder coated? Would love to get some black slipstream on my white S.

Yes, they will. I did get one such set from a vendor on here; the only glitch was that the Tesla service center folks indicated that the lug holes were powder-coated as well and because of that, the lug nuts will not sit tight against the wheel and can make the wheels come loose. They said that they will not install them because of this condition and will not take on the liability. If you avoid that situation, you should be fine.

Im selling brand new set of 2017 Tesla Model S wheels and tires, perfect condition only 100 miles on them
These where the upgraded 19" grey slipstream wheels which I did not like once I received the vehicle.
Goodyear eagle touring tires
245/45/R19
$3100 OBO