Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Grey Slipstream wheels be ordered at a service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
I have a late-2014 Model S and have been "living with" the classic/original silver 19" wheels all along. A rather ordinary look for a P85D with red calipers too.

Tesla Shop Online has always had the 21" grey turbines (with tires) but, I'm not interested in the thin sidewall, harsher ride, high maintenance, etc. Didn't dive into aftermarket options as I don't want any sort of headaches with Tesla service.

Hadn't opened the Model S design studio in a long time; tried it today to see the 19" Grey Slipstream wheels being available for $2,500 for a new config.

Has anyone tried to order and install these at a service center? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

$2500 seems steep, especially for an upcharge. I just had my silver slipstreams redone in OEM charcoal for $700 by a local wheel refinisher. You could buy a second set of used rims (X 20" slipstreams w TPMS) as well as buy decent 40 series tires for the extra $1800.

My service center would sell me new rims but they didn't have any in stock. They wouldn't sell me any used rims.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Krash. Yeah, the math is not favorable but, am staying OEM as much as I can.

Reached out to Tesla Burlingame (who indicated that the Grey slipstreams are not yet available at service centers), Tesla Fremont (just because they are right next to the factory; haven't heard from them yet) and Tesla Online Orders (who confirmed that the Grey slipstreams are not available online either although the silver slipstreams are available online: Model S 19" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Package).

Will wait it out a little longer.

You mentioned wanting to stay as much OEM as possible, but I get tons of compliments on my Rial Lugano OE cap wheels in graphite silver. They match the grey turbines, and you can buy the Tesla caps at the SC for $5/piece.

For about $960 between shipping and installation, I was in new wheels (not to mention selling OEM wheels).

Rial Lugano OE Cap

Attachments

• IMG_8907.JPG
    IMG_8907.JPG
    894.2 KB · Views: 310
You mentioned wanting to stay as much OEM as possible, but I get tons of compliments on my Rial Lugano OE cap wheels in graphite silver. They match the grey turbines, and you can buy the Tesla caps at the SC for $5/piece.

For about $960 between shipping and installation, I was in new wheels (not to mention selling OEM wheels).

Rial Lugano OE Cap

Those look great! How much did you get for the OEM wheels?

$2500 seems steep, especially for an upcharge. I just had my silver slipstreams redone in OEM charcoal for $700 by a local wheel refinisher. You could buy a second set of used rims (X 20" slipstreams w TPMS) as well as buy decent 40 series tires for the extra $1800.

My service center would sell me new rims but they didn't have any in stock. They wouldn't sell me any used rims.
Any chance you could post a pic of your slipstreams powder coated? I want to do the same but have not seen any done!

I have a late-2014 Model S and have been "living with" the classic/original silver 19" wheels all along. A rather ordinary look for a P85D with red calipers too.

Tesla Shop Online has always had the 21" grey turbines (with tires) but, I'm not interested in the thin sidewall, harsher ride, high maintenance, etc. Didn't dive into aftermarket options as I don't want any sort of headaches with Tesla service.

Hadn't opened the Model S design studio in a long time; tried it today to see the 19" Grey Slipstream wheels being available for $2,500 for a new config.

Has anyone tried to order and install these at a service center? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Don't get them from service center they are available from all the owners moving to 21s, just looked today in So.Calif and you can find tires and 19" slipstreams for $1200 or less on craigslist or Ebay!!

Don't get them from service center they are available from all the owners moving to 21s, just looked today in So.Calif and you can find tires and 19" slipstreams for $1200 or less on craigslist or Ebay!!

Thanks, @bnsfengineer, but, I can only find the 19" Slipstreams in Silver. The ones in grey or black were powder-coated after the fact like this:

19" Tesla Model S Gloss Black Factory Wheels Rims OEM SET OF 4 Slipstream NEW | eBay

Tesla service centers have a policy not to work with - for wheel balancing, alignment, etc. - aftermarket wheels or OEM ones that may have been modded (powder-coated and such) so, am not messing with these.

No OEM Grey 19" Slipstreams (that have an upcharge of $2,500 in the Model S Design Studio right now) have come up for sale anywhere as far as I can tell.

I have a brand new set of the light grey slipstreams that came with my car if you're interested. I drove my car home from Fremont and took them off. Tires, TPMS, caps, all mounted from the factory.

Thanks, @bnsfengineer, but, I can only find the 19" Slipstreams in Silver. The ones in grey or black were powder-coated after the fact like this:

19" Tesla Model S Gloss Black Factory Wheels Rims OEM SET OF 4 Slipstream NEW | eBay

Tesla service centers have a policy not to work with - for wheel balancing, alignment, etc. - aftermarket wheels or OEM ones that may have been modded (powder-coated and such) so, am not messing with these.

No OEM Grey 19" Slipstreams (that have an upcharge of $2,500 in the Model S Design Studio right now) have come up for sale anywhere as far as I can tell.
Ohhhh...your right I had no idea that was there policy!

Don't buy them from Tesla! There are 3-4 sets here in S.Cal on Craigslist for less than $1500 with less than 250 miles on them. Look at Ebay also they go really cheap here(most want 21s) as that is why mine are in storage, figure I would be lucky to get $1000.!!
Yeah but shipping to OH usually kills most of the deals! I've been keeping my eye out b/c I want to buy a set of winter tires.

The factory Grey 19" Slipstreams are available now in the Tesla online store!

Model S 19" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Package

With the winter tires, they are priced higher, at $4,400, than the silver wheel and tire package, at $2,500.

Contacted Tesla Burlingame now to see about getting the wheels alone...

$1900 extra for Gray vs Silver paint. Wow...Tesla's trying to find some suckers and probably will...