TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the Grey Slipstream wheels be ordered at a service center?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Aug 5, 2017.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I have a late-2014 Model S and have been "living with" the classic/original silver 19" wheels all along. A rather ordinary look for a P85D with red calipers too.

Tesla Shop Online has always had the 21" grey turbines (with tires) but, I'm not interested in the thin sidewall, harsher ride, high maintenance, etc. Didn't dive into aftermarket options as I don't want any sort of headaches with Tesla service.

Hadn't opened the Model S design studio in a long time; tried it today to see the 19" Grey Slipstream wheels being available for $2,500 for a new config.

Has anyone tried to order and install these at a service center? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Krash

Krash Member

#2 Krash, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    $2500 seems steep, especially for an upcharge. I just had my silver slipstreams redone in OEM charcoal for $700 by a local wheel refinisher. You could buy a second set of used rims (X 20" slipstreams w TPMS) as well as buy decent 40 series tires for the extra $1800.

My service center would sell me new rims but they didn't have any in stock. They wouldn't sell me any used rims.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Thanks, @Krash. Yeah, the math is not favorable but, am staying OEM as much as I can.

Reached out to Tesla Burlingame (who indicated that the Grey slipstreams are not yet available at service centers), Tesla Fremont (just because they are right next to the factory; haven't heard from them yet) and Tesla Online Orders (who confirmed that the Grey slipstreams are not available online either although the silver slipstreams are available online: Model S 19" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Package).

Will wait it out a little longer.

4. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

You mentioned wanting to stay as much OEM as possible, but I get tons of compliments on my Rial Lugano OE cap wheels in graphite silver. They match the grey turbines, and you can buy the Tesla caps at the SC for $5/piece.

For about $960 between shipping and installation, I was in new wheels (not to mention selling OEM wheels).

Rial Lugano OE Cap

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  5. cameronr

cameronr Member

Those look great! How much did you get for the OEM wheels?

6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

just get a set from ebay ... and get them powder coated.

7. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

The factory slipstreams were on my car for about 7 hours and managed to get a little scuff on one of the wheels. Anyhow, I got $800 for them but wasn't trying to wait around for $50 or $100 more.