TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can the X park by itself?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by snoopycr, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

Can I exit the car and then have the X parallel or perpendicular park?

If yes, how I do that? I only know how to start the parking process when I put the car in reverse.

Thanks

2. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

short answer, no.

3. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

I can't get my parallel or perpendicular park to work.

My car was delivered at 17.18.50

4. Peteybabes

i think you mean 17.18.50...?

• Like x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Not yet. I expect that someday FSDC will gain that ability, but for now the only thing you can do out of the car is Summon, which right now is limited to ~50 feet in a more or less straight line forward or backward.

• Like x 1
  6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Great question. I do from inside all the time, but at places I do all the time, why not by itself now, after all the machine learning we should have?

7. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Hopefully Summon gets an update so that it works on slopes too. Right now I can pull the car out, but not back in :(

Also, I really don't like the way Autopilot behaves, it just isn't right.... Worse than on on my Loaner car and Ap1 cars I tested.

8. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

So autopark is not really auto parking then? It only pulls in to your garage?

The X parks much better than me. Fast and quick. No fuss no miss.

I wish more people had autopilot. I trust them more than some of the jerks driving the highways. Weaving in and out of the lanes.

I just like to go behind a truck and set autopilot. No one ever complains if I'm slow bc it's really the truck in front of me. And most people don't want to cut in between a truck and my X.

9. Peteybabes

it's designed for when you are feeling extra lazy about parking while you are in the car seat... :p

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Summon is not automatic parking, no (though it was somewhat promised to be at some point.)

Autopark is automatic parking - while you're in the driver's seat and paying attention. Tesla presumably feels that they don't have enough sensors to cover all the risks during Autopark without a human present (at least until FSDC starts processing all of the camera inputs.)

11. jlarmstr

jlarmstr Member

I think you are confused.

Your X can parallel park or perpendicular park (back into a slotted space) by itself, but not after you exit the car. You cannot, for the moment, exit your can and expect your Model X to snoop around for a parking spot and park itself. The features you are hearing about are Autopark and Summon, they are two different things.

Autopark works like this:
    1. Drive slowly until you pass by a viable spot
    - for parallel the spot needs to be defined by two cars with enough space nose to tail, and against a curb. You must be going 15 mph or slower
    - for perpendicular parking (my HW2 car needed FW 17.24.28 or higher) you need to pass by an empty slot sandwiched between two cars and going slower than 10 MPH​
    2. When a viable spot is detected by the car, a "P" will appear on your instrument LED display next on the side of the car where the spot was detected.
    3. Stop, hold the brake, put your car into reverse.
    4. On your main screen, tap the auto park
    5. Release your brake. The car will park itself. You can pause by hitting the break or abort the park by braking and putting the car into drive.

Summon is a feature that allows you to line your car up into a parking slot but not back or pull into that slot. You can then exit the car and use the summon feature to put the car into the parking slot. The car will use the sonar sensors to avoid collision and will stop within a predetermined distance from a detected obstacle in front (forward summon) or behind (backward summon). Summon is useful if you want to park in a spot is so tight you would not be able to open your door and exit, similarly if you are parked you can pull your car out of the tight spot for easy entry. You can use your phone app, keep app, or set it to summon park before you exit the car.

I prefer to use the key fob, here is the procedure:
    1. Line your car up to the parking slot you wish to use but do not back or pull into that slot (if you are already parked and are leaving, skip this step)
    2. Exit the car.
    3. Press and hold the top of the fob (that would control the doors) until you see the headlights flash
    4. Push and hold the trunk button (to back into or out of a spot) or the frunk button (to pull into or out of a spot).

Summon is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion, it implies that you can summon your car to you just like a valet.... they are not quite there yet :)

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Good summary!

Additionally: for parallel the spot can be defined by a space that is one car and a frontal curb

13. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

Is AP2 faster than AP1 at parking then? AP1 seems so slow to park, especially perpendicular, so I rarely use it. I guess if you have a tight space, you can always get it so it is straight, hop out, and then summon it?

14. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

Wow thanks for the awesome post. The tip with the key fob is extremely helpful. Now can Summon my car without using the app. Do I have to keep pressing the key fob. How long do the batteries last on the things.

I use the Summon feature often to get my car out of the garage

15. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Found out yesterday my X would not summon going backward on a slope parking lot

16. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Interesting, my AP2 X can summon backwards onto my driveway, and it's pretty steep.

Doesn't go forwards though.

17. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Both my AP 1 and AP2 X's were and are able to summon on my driveway slope, although sometimes it would call it quits when trying to go over a bump (Gap between the driveway depressed a bit and the garage floor) - this works both forward and backward in both cars

18. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Make sure in summons customize, set "continuous press" to OFF. Then press & hold fob top button long, until orange lites blink, then press frunk or trunk for direction. You can also customize the distance etc.

• Informative x 1