Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you add third row to X after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's great about the 5 seat Model X is the simplicity. No hassle with moving seats forward and back. No frustration sitting in the back row. Anyone considering Model X should compare all of the different seat configurations carefully. The original six and seven seat vehicles had no arm rest in the back row. The latest seven seat Model X was redesigned with manual rear seat entry/exit. All of the configurations must be tested out in advance of purchase for maximum satisfaction. Then for comparison, climb into the back row of a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid plug-in or other five, six, or seven seat EVs. I was surprised at the difference of ease (or difficulty) of entry and exit between all the models.

And just in case anyone is tempted, remember the five seater doesn’t have the rear/extra AC. We got the seven seater even though we will probably never use the third row because of that. Flexibility and cooling are the hallmarks of the new seven seater. :D. (I agree with the manual adjustments, if you are going to have people in all three rows all the time. Might want to look at a CPO six seater...)

But the new six-seater still has the fancy automatic monopost seats, which is one reason why we got it — best option for child seats and 3rd row access. Plus new version has extra arm room for 3rd row. So in this case the new version is better than CPO (unless you want glossy seatbacks). CPO would be only option for *seven* seat monopost...

But the new six-seater still has the fancy automatic monopost seats, which is one reason why we got it — best option for child seats and 3rd row access. Plus new version has extra arm room for 3rd row. So in this case the new version is better than CPO (unless you want glossy seatbacks). CPO would be only option for *seven* seat monopost...
Whoops, right, I was thinking of a CPO seven seater... :D

if you are going to have people in all three rows all the time. Might want to look at a CPO six seater...
Unless for emergency and on a short distance, with the 7 seats, you can really have only
one adult sitting on the third row, and may be a kid, because there is not too much leg room.

However, with the 6 seats, then you can have two adults sitting on the third row,
as they can put their legs in the middle of the second row.

My 6 seater is great! It’s easy to access the back row with the front two moving up with one click. I typically leave the third row down for more storage. But when I have to take the family together on weekends then I have the extra seats. It’s a great option to have.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Maybe I'm in the minority but I like the 5 seater configuration. It's just me an my spouse with no kids. I love the extra storage you get from not having the rear seats and I like how simple the 5 seater bench is.

The back row can fold down though.. what extra storage does the 5 seater really give?

The pic on the right has both covers removed you can see the extra storage.

EDIT: This isn't my pic, just the first one I found on Google Image search.

model-x-5-seat-9.png

Reactions: Itsajyaknow
I have the original 7 seater with the glossy second row with the three monopost seats. It's somewhat annoying to maneuver the seats with many people entering the car, and the 2 seats in the back have little space, but this configuration is still by far my favorite among all those offered. I'm sorry to the newer 7 seat design with the manual folding seats, but the monopost look and design is so sexy and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love the glossy back for both rows, and being able to auto-adjust each of the 3 middle seats independently (front and back and tilted forward and back like a cradle) is so nice, plus the newer design looks a bit cheap.

I wish Tesla kept the automatic middle row seat design and just tweaked it for improvements. I must say I'm a bit surprised at how Tesla is cutting corners on newer variants of MX since I originally considered upgrading to AP 2.0. But they got rid of the perforated cooled seats, sexy 7 seat design, the alcantara swede strip on the dashboard, and now people are saying they got rid of the nice looking "Model X" writing on both the stepping area of all doors and overhead area on the falcon doors. Like WHY would you get rid of that, it was hot and now it's just NOT RIGHT just like Brittany Spears when she shaved her head! :O

The pic on the right has both covers removed you can see the extra storage.

EDIT: This isn't my pic, just the first one I found on Google Image search.

model-x-5-seat-9.png
There is/was a monster thread last spring that was active when the five-seater came out, and those of us that wanted a vehicle like (dare I say it?) the old station wagon format, where you could fold things down and have all the back area flat, thought we had it. It discussed how deep the back area was in the five-seater (since the whole floor bed, like in the photo above) is a lot deeper, the maximum height is a lot higher if you have a need to carry things that have 'height' [caterer with wedding cakes? :D ].

But one issue we ran up against there is that *that* design/config omitted the back/rear AC unit. In hot climates, it was found the extra AC was needed; or, if you used the extra space for animals, etc., it was an issue.

A lot of this went away when Tesla dropped the next bomb this summer and redid the seven-seater to its current config, where everything folds down, and you still have all the AC of the six and seven original design You don't have the extra height in the back with the removable load floor, but the new seven seater is the most flexible people- and cargo-wise. You also don't have the automatic/cool/electronic second row. Pros and cons all over the place!

TL;DR: Be sure you know what you are ordering when you order it! There are differences all over the place.