Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you charge 2 level 1 slow chargers same panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo and we won’t be able to upgrade feasibly to a faster charger so at most I charge 6 mph using NEMA 5-20. My wife will get an ID4. The garage outlet is a 20 amp that is paid by the HOA and powers the garage. I have a model Y and another neighbor has a a model 3. We charge at the same time and haven’t had a problem. We have 56 spaces and so far with 2 EVs there hasn’t been a problem. Just wondering when this will be a problem.

I live in a condo and we won’t be able to upgrade feasibly to a faster charger so at most I charge 6 mph using NEMA 5-20. My wife will get an ID4. The garage outlet is a 20 amp that is paid by the HOA and powers the garage. I have a model Y and another neighbor has a a model 3. We charge at the same time and haven’t had a problem. We have 56 spaces and so far with 2 EVs there hasn’t been a problem. Just wondering when this will be a problem.
I am not an electrician:

For now, you are fine as long as each outlet has its own circuit breaker and not shared.

If those outlets come from 100 Ampere panel, then that panel can take 5 outlets.

If that panel is 200 Amperes then it can take 10 outlets.

That means you can't have 56 cars charged at the same time unless you upgrade the panel.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
If you both try to charge from a 5-20 that is on the same circuit, you will pop the breaker, unless you current limit to 8A on both vehicles. The electrical panel for a large parking structure is probably fed by a 100-200A 3 phase panel, so nothing to worry about there.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Breakers are rated at 80% of name plate amps for continuous use. So a 20 am breaker can deliver 80% or 20, or 16 amps continuously. You need to find out all the outlets on a circuit and what's plugged into them, and the total amps that are being used on the circuit in order to determine if you can use 2 chargers.

Reactions: Rocky_H