Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you get a ticket if......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos of Model S cars launching from stoplights and it is impressive.

This brings up a question: Can you get a ticket for doing that?

All over my city we have these 50mph speed limit corridors with stoplights. It would be a blast to launch on a green light and hit 50 mph! There is something called exhibition of speed and you can be fined for it but I believe it stems from "burning rubber" or screeching the tires or basically drawing attention to yourself.

My question is, if you do not jump the green light, are not racing anybody net to you, do not screech the tires and never exceed the speed limit, can you still be ticketed for something?

Any law enforcement officers here care to comment?

So I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos of Model S cars launching from stoplights and it is impressive.

This brings up a question: Can you get a ticket for doing that?

All over my city we have these 50mph speed limit corridors with stoplights. It would be a blast to launch on a green light and hit 50 mph! There is something called exhibition of speed and you can be fined for it but I believe it stems from "burning rubber" or screeching the tires or basically drawing attention to yourself.

My question is, if you do not jump the green light, are not racing anybody net to you, do not screech the tires and never exceed the speed limit, can you still be ticketed for something?

Any law enforcement officers here care to comment?

Yes you can get a ticket for this, but the officer would have to prove that you intended to show off for someone, or were unsafe.

2202. Exhibition of Speed
The defendant is charged [in Count ______] with engaging in an exhibition of speed.

To prove that the defendant is guilty of this crime, the People must prove that:

1. The defendant drove a motor vehicle on a highway;

AND

2. While so driving, the defendant willfully engaged in an exhibition of speed.

Someone commits an act willfully when he or she does it willingly or on purpose. It is not required that he or she intend to break the law, hurt someone else, or gain any advantage.

A person engages in an exhibition of speed when he or she accelerates or drives at a rate of speed that is dangerous and unsafe in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

[The People must prove that the defendant intended to show off or impress someone but are not required to prove that the defendant intended to show off to or impress any particular person.]

[A motor vehicle includes a (passenger vehicle/motorcycle/motor scooter/bus/school bus/commercial vehicle/truck tractor and trailer/ <insert other type of motor vehicle>).]

[The term highway describes any area publicly maintained and open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel, and includes a street.]

[The term (motor vehicle/ [and] highway) (is/are) defined in another instruction to which you should refer.]
(ref:Justia :: Law Legal Information for Lawyers, Students, Business and the Public)

My motto is, "No muss, no fuss, just GO!" The S does a straight line launch with so little external evidence (no engine noise, no squatting, no tire squeal) that it's hard to imagine anyone blinking an eye.

Last edited:
My guess is also that if you raced someone from a stoplight you might get a ticket, but I would be really surprised otherwise. I have a stoplight by my house where the road turns into a freeway on the other side of the intersection, so I punch it any time I happen to be the front most car at the light. Since there's no drama involved it's hard to imagine getting a ticket. And in fact I'm doing it because I love the feel of the acceleration, not to show off to other people, so I'm not actually in violation of the law anyway.

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Looks like it's a judgement call.

I agree with the above - I'm not about showing off - I just love the acceleration!
Yea, I wouldn't do it in front of a cop :).

That said, I picked up my son from his shift at work one evening (12-9pm shift) and he works across from the local police department. I was first at the nearby stop light, chatting with my son, the light turned green and I sort of halfway floored it. Nowhere near full acceleration, but certainly quick off the line and I just went to the speed limit and held steady, expecially since 2 blocks up there's another light. We're still chatting and I hear this huge engine sound behind me and a police cruiser comes flying past me. Apparently he'd been next to me at the stop light and hadn't taken kindly to me zooming away, though fortunately he didn't do anything more than that rooster strut/chest-thumping bit of flying by me.

My guess is also that if you raced someone from a stoplight you might get a ticket, but I would be really surprised otherwise. I have a stoplight by my house where the road turns into a freeway on the other side of the intersection, so I punch it any time I happen to be the front most car at the light. Since there's no drama involved it's hard to imagine getting a ticket. And in fact I'm doing it because I love the feel of the acceleration, not to show off to other people, so I'm not actually in violation of the law anyway.

Unless the officer was impressed by your launch.:biggrin:

Yes, particularly if you're making a lot of noise (you don't) or racing another car (in some jurisdictions that can be a very serious).

I've been driving a Roadster for three years, worn out a few sets of tires, and cops haven't paid much attention to me. I think what usually twigs them is noise and drama. Mind you, if I see a cop I don't flaunt it in front of him/her.

I think whenever the question is, "can I get a ticket if..." the answer is yes. If they want to cite you they will
"I probably shouldn't be saying this, but..."
"Shut up. Stop right there. Your filter is telling you to not to dig yourself a hole."

Same philosophy usually applies to asking if something is illegal or ticketable.