TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you get a ticket if......

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by TommyBoy, Jul 15, 2013.

1. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

So I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos of Model S cars launching from stoplights and it is impressive.

This brings up a question: Can you get a ticket for doing that?

All over my city we have these 50mph speed limit corridors with stoplights. It would be a blast to launch on a green light and hit 50 mph! There is something called exhibition of speed and you can be fined for it but I believe it stems from "burning rubber" or screeching the tires or basically drawing attention to yourself.

My question is, if you do not jump the green light, are not racing anybody net to you, do not screech the tires and never exceed the speed limit, can you still be ticketed for something?

Any law enforcement officers here care to comment?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Supporting Member

Yes you can get a ticket for this, but the officer would have to prove that you intended to show off for someone, or were unsafe.

3. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

[EDIT: Lloyd slipped in ahead of me]

Prolly just on this basis you'd be lookin' at a ticket if the officer were to observe racing from a stoplight. I'm sure there are other statutes but here's one.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22350.htm

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

#4 stevezzzz, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    My motto is, "No muss, no fuss, just GO!" The S does a straight line launch with so little external evidence (no engine noise, no squatting, no tire squeal) that it's hard to imagine anyone blinking an eye.

5. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

6. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Sssshhh, that's probably illegal too

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

My guess is also that if you raced someone from a stoplight you might get a ticket, but I would be really surprised otherwise. I have a stoplight by my house where the road turns into a freeway on the other side of the intersection, so I punch it any time I happen to be the front most car at the light. Since there's no drama involved it's hard to imagine getting a ticket. And in fact I'm doing it because I love the feel of the acceleration, not to show off to other people, so I'm not actually in violation of the law anyway.

8. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Looks like it's a judgement call.

I agree with the above - I'm not about showing off - I just love the acceleration!

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yea, I wouldn't do it in front of a cop :).

That said, I picked up my son from his shift at work one evening (12-9pm shift) and he works across from the local police department. I was first at the nearby stop light, chatting with my son, the light turned green and I sort of halfway floored it. Nowhere near full acceleration, but certainly quick off the line and I just went to the speed limit and held steady, expecially since 2 blocks up there's another light. We're still chatting and I hear this huge engine sound behind me and a police cruiser comes flying past me. Apparently he'd been next to me at the stop light and hadn't taken kindly to me zooming away, though fortunately he didn't do anything more than that rooster strut/chest-thumping bit of flying by me.

10. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

There is always the on ramp:)

11. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Unless the officer was impressed by your launch.:biggrin:

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, particularly if you're making a lot of noise (you don't) or racing another car (in some jurisdictions that can be a very serious).

I've been driving a Roadster for three years, worn out a few sets of tires, and cops haven't paid much attention to me. I think what usually twigs them is noise and drama. Mind you, if I see a cop I don't flaunt it in front of him/her.

13. aaronw

aaronw Member

I did that once with a cop behind me (fully aware of it). I quickly hit 40 and didn't exceed it. He seemed to follow me for quite a while but I stayed at the speed limit.

14. HHHH

HHHH Member

I think whenever the question is, "can I get a ticket if..." the answer is yes. If they want to cite you they will

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"I probably shouldn't be saying this, but..."
    "Shut up. Stop right there. Your filter is telling you to not to dig yourself a hole."

Same philosophy usually applies to asking if something is illegal or ticketable.

16. HHHH

HHHH Member

Reminds me of the old adage, something like, "better to be quiet and thought to be an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" lol.

17. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

18. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

#18 Francis Lau, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Whether you get a ticket really depends on the officer, check this video out. It is amazing that he got a warning!??!

19. lloyds

lloyds Member

Freeway onramp by my house is the highlight of my day when I'm headed to the office. This car rocks!

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

In Florida it's a misdemeanor of the first degree with a fine between $500-$1,000 and your license is revoked for 1 year for the first offence. That said, a quick google search shows that it's almost never prosecuted here if the driver stays under the speed limit and the FL wording is so broad it usually gets challenged as unconstitutional and the case is dropped or settled on a small fine.