TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you tell areas of car that have Xpel and those that don't?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigAirHarper, Jul 10, 2016.

1. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

I haven't seen a car in person with Xpel yet and was wondering if you can tell a huge difference in areas that have it and those that don't? I was only planning on wrapping the front bumper area, hood, and mirrors, but don't want to have it look totally different than the panels on the rest of the car….

2. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I have Xpel on the front of my car. Looking from the front at anything more than about 5 feet away you can't tell. If you look from the side and you know where the seam is, you can see it if you know where to look from about 5 or less feet. This is my second car with Xpel and I think that I will always do it in the future.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It all depends on the installer as well. The best installers make it look like the Xpel is not there.

• Like x 1
  4. Terra117

Terra117 Member

It depends some on the color of the car. I have a silver S, and looking closely at an edge or joint between pieces is the only way to tell. Silver and white are probably the best colors to wrap.

OTOH, my wife has a midnight blue (almost black blue) Cayenne, and the edges are much easier to pick out.

Looking at a wrapped panel, there isn't really any way to visually tell there is anything on the paint. You can tell by touch.

Where the wrap needed to stretch to fit curves, you can sometime see stress lines when wearing polarized sun glasses.

5. Hojo

Hojo Member

+1

6. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

As many have said it comes down to the installer and if they wrap the edges. Always, always ask for wrapped edges (where possible). This means that the film will wrap over the body panel and provide a nearly seamless installation. Find a reputable installer, that will take the time to install the product correctly. For starters, we have a dealer locator: HERE. Once you find an installer, go visit their shop and look at their attention to detail and how well they install the paint protection film

• Informative x 1
  7. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I've got it on two cars and, where the edges wrap around the body panel it's almost invisible. Where the edges don't, it's invisible from about 6 feet away from the car. Basically you'll have to get close to notice anything at all. Fantastic product.

I have some other brand on my Model S. Never again. Quite noticeable and I've got to be incredibly careful when I try to remove things like bugs or sap. I don't recall the brand name. The next S will be Xpel like our X and our Yukon.

8. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Nobody has ever noticed the XPEL on my car (full wrap on white) until I told them it was there. If you're looking for them, you can see the edges of the film (the ones that aren't wrapped under) but the film is essentially invisible on the paint. After 2 1/2 years, the car still looks like new - no dings, chips, scratches or swirls. Worth the investment.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have a full front install. Aall edges are wrapped so the install is invisible and you can't tell.

I hadn't even considered that an installer would be crappy enough to not wrap all of the edges.

10. Terra117

Terra117 Member

My edges were wrapped, but they couldn't do the area around the carbon fiber spoiler in a single piece. It's the only seam in the entire wrap, and man did they get it tight.

If they would have removed the spoiler, one continuous piece might have been possible. Personally, I'm glad they didn't.