Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you "upgrade" RWD to AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, you've got no idea how this pack will perform

No, but I know how older, less advanced, ones perform and it's a lot better than you suggest- so it seems very unlikely the newer, better, packs won't do at least as well.

They won't even do that. I talked to the sales people about getting a P3D and they said they aren't taking 3s in as trade ins yet.

That's weird- because in previous threads folks have explicitly said they were able to get trade in offers on their RWD 3 to upgrade to an AWD/P model

Wouldn't be the first time one office had no idea WTF the other was doing though.

Fair enough. Not sure I'd say marginal performance gain. The performance gain from Performance (AWD) to RWD is far greater that range gain from RWD to Performance (AWD). But to each their own.

Edit: I've got the P3D, so noticeably different performance. I know the AWD (non-P) is still faster than AWD, but maybe not much benefit over the range increase in RWD.

Depends on type of driving... 0-60 it's a pretty noticable jump each step. Above 60 the AWD and P are nearly identical while the RWD is still significantly less powerful (you can see this int he 1/4 mile trap speeds between the cars...)

Oh for sure! That difference is crazy. I can't afford the Performance model, for sure. Glad I don't have to insure it though.

Insurance is no different. The VIN's for AWD and P-AWD are the same. Insurance uses your VIN to quote your rate.
And for that matter there wasn't much difference between RWD and AWD I checked on that before ordering.

I got Performance (P3D-) as well, partly to get free supercharging for life. I've used supercharging 5 times out 1800 miles so far (~600 miles).

My lifetime is 240 wh/mi at 1800 miles (and that's with a fair amount of cool weather - low-regen ) I expect it will be closer to 230 when things warm up.
On insurance I'm paying $1000 /yr for a 2017 Jeep Summit and 2018 Model 3 Performance (2 drivers).

No, but I know how older, less advanced, ones perform and it's a lot better than you suggest- so it seems very unlikely the newer, better, packs won't do at least as well.

That's weird- because in previous threads folks have explicitly said they were able to get trade in offers on their RWD 3 to upgrade to an AWD/P model

Wouldn't be the first time one office had no idea WTF the other was doing though.

Depends on type of driving... 0-60 it's a pretty noticable jump each step. Above 60 the AWD and P are nearly identical while the RWD is still significantly less powerful (you can see this int he 1/4 mile trap speeds between the cars...)
Yep, I definitely notice the difference lower speed. I have to rent a car each week while I travel and hate the fact I can't make a quick lane change like I can in my P3D. I was driving a Ford Fusion today and gunned it to get in the left lane and pass and it just wouldn't go. Argh.