Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon missing from Model X 2023.32.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, this all makes sense. I guess I just wanted to try them once and determine they weren't worthwhile but I guess what concerns me more is people who are saying that not having these USS functions (and I keep hearing conflicting opinions on whether Tesla's ever had radar in them to assist with auto-driving) actually makes the car less reliable in traffic because it's less able to picture the other vehicles without USS and or radar. For instance when it's on full self-drive. I don't know if that's just talk or not but so far I have not felt confident enough to let it FSD for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm hoping I eventually get more confident in it because I would like to relax driving, especially when I have a cross-country drive coming up. When it is on FSD, it continually checks that not only are my hands on the wheel but the car keeps insisting that I make a slight turning motion of the wheel apparently to prove I'm still there and very alert, but the effect is that I inevitably pop it out of FSD a certain percentage of the time, while I'm trying to do a slight turning motion to prove I'm still awake. As if I could relax much, since I don't trust it anyway. I don't know if these kind of ultra careful measures where it's checking every few minutes for a human being is new or it's always been that sensitive.
I used to have a car that had a certain amount of lane assist and it just needed to know my hands were on the wheel which it sensed I guess just by the pressure and weight of my hands on the wheel. That was a lot more comfortable for me. I always did remain alert with the road anyway because that's an obvious responsibility of a driver whether you're on FSD or not, but I suppose not everyone feels that way. I think of these driver assist modes as more of a kind of backup, if my reactions aren't as quick as a machine might be in a surprise situation. Hoping that the Tesla will prove to be useful in that possible someday situation.
Teslas used to have a forward looking radar that was used with Autopilot. But, they stopped installing it in 2021, as I recall, and have stopped using the radars in those cars that have them.

USS is completely different than radar. USS is not used for normal driving functions as the range is very short. It is only used for parking functions at very slow speed. In any Tesla with current software, cameras alone are used for Autopilot and FSD.

There is a new high-resolution radar installed on newer Model S and X cars. But, so far as we know, it is not yet used for any driving functions. Tesla has said very little about it and is likely evaluating data from cars that have it to determine whether it's worth integrating into FSD.

Reactions: ionsphere
Teslas used to have a forward looking radar that was used with Autopilot. But, they stopped installing it in 2021, as I recall, and have stopped using the radars in those cars that have them.

USS is completely different than radar. USS is not used for normal driving functions as the range is very short. It is only used for parking functions at very slow speed. In any Tesla with current software, cameras alone are used for Autopilot and FSD.

There is a new high-resolution radar installed on newer Model S and X cars. But, so far as we know, it is not yet used for any driving functions. Tesla has said very little about it and is likely evaluating data from cars that have it to determine whether it's worth integrating into FSD.
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I appreciate your time

I take ownership of a new 2023 Model X next month. Decided to buy another Model X when I found out I could transfer unlimited supercharging for life to the new vehicle. Being an original 2017 owner, I've joyfully accepted each "cool" software update my USS could handle since 2017. Today I completed the last few steps before delivery, *BUT* not before needing to acknowledge a disclaimer stating smart summon, auto-park, and the like would only be available "in a future software update" . . . I recall the white glove treatment we received back in 2017 and how it's gone now ... while it's good for Tesla that Model Y's and 3's have rocketed the company into being a fiscal giant ... everything Tesla, however, seems aimed toward the cheaper, better selling demographic ... damn. Cybertruck anyone?

Reactions: ionsphere
Well, I have USS and FSD, so I have access to Autopark Summon and "Smart" Summon. You aren't missing out on much.

Autopark is very slow and rarely gets into a space on the first try when perpendicular parking. If there is another car waiting for you to park, it's particularly annoying to them to watch your car ineptly get into a simple space. I rarely, if ever use it as it's much faster to simply use the backup camera. Maybe V12 will bring an improved version, but you aren't missing anything unless you REALLY suck at parking your car.

Summon may be useful if you frequently need to fit your car in and out of a very tight space. I've used it once at an AirBNB house with an old narrow garage.

Smart Summon is less than worthless as using it may cost you dearly. I've only used it in an empty parking lot to play with it. I wouldn't trust it around anything that could harm my car or that my car could harm.

So, other than Summon, if you had USS and these functions, you might still feel cheated, as they have never been very good. The truth is that Tesla seems to have put them at the bottom of the priority stack to work on basic FSDb driving. Every now and then, Elon teases us that improvements are coming, but they never do.
Supcom, I was glad to find your post today regarding FSD and having USS as I have on my '22 X. I am getting ready to try a one month subscription to FSD and had gone to my local Tesla service center to ask questions regarding this. I spoke with about 3 people and walked away as confused as I entered. I was told by at least 2 people that even if I have USS and subscribe to FSD that I won't have summon or smart summon. After reading your post, that info seems suspect. Am I missing something here? My X was manufactured in Jan of 2022 and definitely has USS. In your experience, should I have access to summon/smart summon upon trying FSD for a month? Thanks in advance for your help.

Supcom, I was glad to find your post today regarding FSD and having USS as I have on my '22 X. I am getting ready to try a one month subscription to FSD and had gone to my local Tesla service center to ask questions regarding this. I spoke with about 3 people and walked away as confused as I entered. I was told by at least 2 people that even if I have USS and subscribe to FSD that I won't have summon or smart summon. After reading your post, that info seems suspect. Am I missing something here? My X was manufactured in Jan of 2022 and definitely has USS. In your experience, should I have access to summon/smart summon upon trying FSD for a month? Thanks in advance for your help.
All I can say is that I have access to all these things. The only difference is that I am on the development software branch as an early FSDb tester and have FSD 11.4.8.1. However, I did have Summon when I was on 11.4.4, so I would expect you to have it if you subscribe.

However, one really never knows with Tesla. If you are subscribing with Summon/Smart Summon as the primary reason, then you should accept that there is a risk you will not have it. However, as I have pointed out on multiple occasions, these features may not live up to expectations. Summon is OK, but Smart Summon should be used with extreme caution. It is universally derided - and deservedly so.

Be advised that you may need to enable these features on your car's display to use them.

All I can say is that I have access to all these things. The only difference is that I am on the development software branch as an early FSDb tester and have FSD 11.4.8.1. However, I did have Summon when I was on 11.4.4, so I would expect you to have it if you subscribe.

However, one really never knows with Tesla. If you are subscribing with Summon/Smart Summon as the primary reason, then you should accept that there is a risk you will not have it. However, as I have pointed out on multiple occasions, these features may not live up to expectations. Summon is OK, but Smart Summon should be used with extreme caution. It is universally derided - and deservedly so.

Be advised that you may need to enable these features on your car's display to use them.
I fully understand. I plan to add FSD later this week so I'll be very careful trying out all the features, including SS. Of course, if it isn't there, I probably won't have that many gadgets to try out but it is only a one month subscription...I hope! Thanks for the quick reply.

I fully understand. I plan to add FSD later this week so I'll be very careful trying out all the features, including SS. Of course, if it isn't there, I probably won't have that many gadgets to try out but it is only a one month subscription...I hope! Thanks for the quick reply.
SS is just a fun trick.

Don't try it in actual parking lots. There are tons of post and stories of SS running into another car, tree, or curb.

Well, I have USS and FSD, so I have access to Autopark Summon and "Smart" Summon. You aren't missing out on much.

Autopark is very slow and rarely gets into a space on the first try when perpendicular parking. If there is another car waiting for you to park, it's particularly annoying to them to watch your car ineptly get into a simple space. I rarely, if ever use it as it's much faster to simply use the backup camera. Maybe V12 will bring an improved version, but you aren't missing anything unless you REALLY suck at parking your car.

Summon may be useful if you frequently need to fit your car in and out of a very tight space. I've used it once at an AirBNB house with an old narrow garage.

Smart Summon is less than worthless as using it may cost you dearly. I've only used it in an empty parking lot to play with it. I wouldn't trust it around anything that could harm my car or that my car could harm.

So, other than Summon, if you had USS and these functions, you might still feel cheated, as they have never been very good. The truth is that Tesla seems to have put them at the bottom of the priority stack to work on basic FSDb driving. Every now and then, Elon teases us that improvements are coming, but they never do.
I finally made the plunge this morning and signed up for the FSD subscription on my '22 X. Was very happy to find that all the features are apparently there and working. I tried the summon and smart summon and they worked fine (as far as I let them go). Haven't tried navigate on autopilot yet but plan to very soon. So for those of you who haven't been sure whether these features are currently available, at least in the Atlanta area, they are as long as you have USS and not "vision." Thanks again for the info. I'll have to let my local Tesla center know that both summon and smart summon are working.

I finally made the plunge this morning and signed up for the FSD subscription on my '22 X. Was very happy to find that all the features are apparently there and working. I tried the summon and smart summon and they worked fine (as far as I let them go). Haven't tried navigate on autopilot yet but plan to very soon. So for those of you who haven't been sure whether these features are currently available, at least in the Atlanta area, they are as long as you have USS and not "vision." Thanks again for the info. I'll have to let my local Tesla center know that both summon and smart summon are working.
I'm glad for you but honestly so frustrating for me as a brand new MY 2023 owner that features got removed, and I was expecting them to actually work. It feels so crazy that a newer car is simply not as capable as the older cars are now, with Tesla.

Last edited:
Sorry for a redundant request, but are you saying pretty much all newer Tesla models will not have summons available?
I recently added the FSD subscription and noticed that summons (SS) was nowhere to be found. Not on the app nor anywhere in-vehicle interface. Tesla MY 23 LR
Any suggestions or responses welcomed

Sorry for a redundant request, but are you saying pretty much all newer Tesla models will not have summons available?
I recently added the FSD subscription and noticed that summons (SS) was nowhere to be found. Not on the app nor anywhere in-vehicle interface. Tesla MY 23 LR
All cars without the ultrasonic parking sensors will not have those functions.

• Disagree
Reactions: FearL0rd
I also have a MY23 LR and do not have those features. I am mind boggled that Tesla would make a newer model less attractive than an older model. I was not savvy enough to recognize this difference when I purchased it. My understanding now was that Tesla has removed USS from current models because they believe it will be a better version of the car going forward, even though my vehicle often says that the cameras are blocked or less than functional because of morning dew or evening fog or rain or snow or dust etc. It is news to me that MX apparently have the full features. Which also denies the company's claims that the cats are better without USS :/
Should I be calling in a service claim that the cameras so often says they are blocked or degraded and therefore cannot function properly, even though I keep my vehicle spotless and make sure all the cameras are clean? Although obviously I cannot account for raindrops while driving or other such things. I don't see how any amount of computer upgrades on the car will change any of that.