Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon missing from Model X 2023.32.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I upgraded from 2018 M3 to 2023 MX and transferred the FSD. For the past month I've been trying to figure out how to enable Summon/Smart Summon only to find out it might not be available anymore. My M3 was on 2023.7.30 and had the summon/smart summon. It might be that it still had the ultrasound sensors, but iirc they were not being used anymore. By the way the same day FSD was transferred the M3 got a "downgrade" from 2023.7.30 (FSD 11.4.7) to 2023.26.9 (FSD 11.3.6) which doesn't matter, since the M3 was not supposed to have FSD anyway.

And while I agree with Elon's concept of removing non-used enough features (like the opening sunroof), that should not be applied for example on Smart Summon and lumbar support. So lumbar once you set up - you are not "using" it anymore. But you are "using" it everyday! OR Smart summon - you don't use it until you have to park in a tight place for example. But you paid for it and you should have it as an option.

So my question is: Does anybody have details on why the summon is not available now - and is it the parking sensors, HW version, is it model specific, area specific etc.. Any insights on when or if it will be available again?

Oh, does anybody (S, 3, X or Y) have Smart Summon enabled as of today? If so - what is you SW version?

Reactions: ionsphere
Hi, I upgraded from 2018 M3 to 2023 MX and transferred the FSD. For the past month I've been trying to figure out how to enable Summon/Smart Summon only to find out it might not be available anymore. My M3 was on 2023.7.30 and had the summon/smart summon. It might be that it still had the ultrasound sensors, but iirc they were not being used anymore. By the way the same day FSD was transferred the M3 got a "downgrade" from 2023.7.30 (FSD 11.4.7) to 2023.26.9 (FSD 11.3.6) which doesn't matter, since the M3 was not supposed to have FSD anyway.

And while I agree with Elon's concept of removing non-used enough features (like the opening sunroof), that should not be applied for example on Smart Summon and lumbar support. So lumbar once you set up - you are not "using" it anymore. But you are "using" it everyday! OR Smart summon - you don't use it until you have to park in a tight place for example. But you paid for it and you should have it as an option.

So my question is: Does anybody have details on why the summon is not available now - and is it the parking sensors, HW version, is it model specific, area specific etc.. Any insights on when or if it will be available again?

Oh, does anybody (S, 3, X or Y) have Smart Summon enabled as of today? If so - what is you SW version?
The whole, "No one uses it" is just Elon justifying cutting cost. The mobile charger statement backfired at him when Teslafi posted that it's the most popular way to charge on the fleet they track.

They removed USS because the claim is that they aren't accurate enough, but they haven't been able to get to that accuracy level from camera only, yet.

In the end, it's all to cut cost. Even the HW4 computer, they went through great lengths to reduce parts to remove the need of a $2 part, but that extrapolates when selling millions.

I am also finding myself increasingly frustrated with this I have a 2023 MY long range and like you say I paid for this stuff but had to accept that it wasn't going to be functional supposedly on a temporary basis right after I purchased the car-I mean what was I going to do return the car after I'd had it an hour? I've had the car about a month now and was naive enough to think that "temporary" actually did mean temporary. I bought the car because the price dropped finally but I did not think I was getting a stripped down version of the car I've been hearing about for years. Really disappointing. Hoping that somebody proves me wrong here and these functionalities return new and improved ASAP

There are no cars without ultrasonic parking sensors which have summon, smart summon, or autopark enabled.

“Coming in a future software update” since November of 2022.
The reality of this has recently hit me and I'm still reeling from it. My understanding was that these ultrasonic parking sensors are still actually in the car, they've just been disabled. Like they could be re-enabled? I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

They're physically no longer part of the vehicles.
Okay thanks so much for clarifying that. Still learning. I just hope my faith in Tesla has not been misplaced. I still love many things about my car though, so just going to focus on them for now. Hopefully they will keep improving the platform. I was wondering whether there were actual accidents that happened as a result of people using auto park and summon/ smart summon, but now I'm starting to find my answers through the search bar obviously lots of posts on that in this forum, thanks people.
I mean I used to have a Hyundai Tucson PHEV, and that had a self parking feature that you could control from outside the car like in a tight spot, not one that parallel parks for you on a city street. Honestly I pretty much never used that but it was nice to know I had it if I needed it. I also kind of really liked their lane assist features which was just enough to help me out in a tight spot but not enough that I stopped paying attention. It also didn't check constantly to see if my hands were still on the wheel which honestly gets a little annoying with Tesla that it is constantly asking me to slightly turn the wheel when I'm in FSD, because then if I turn it too much it pops out of FSD. The Hyundai used to just check once in a while and as long as my hands were physically on the wheel which they were it didn't really have any problem. However Tesla's constant reminders and asking me to move the wheel slightly which invariably some of the time pops it out of FSD is honestly annoying and defeats the purpose of relaxing while the car auto drives.

Last edited:
I just hope my faith in Tesla has not been misplaced.
It depends on what you're hoping for. ICE cars have been polished over a period of decades, and every advancement has been incremental, begrudged by manufacturers, tested to exhaustion, then made available to customers. On the other hand, a Tesla vehicle is a riot of changes, features and experiments that could go almost anywhere and lead to almost anything. They aren't cars so much as rolling technology, somewhere in between a traditional vehicle and Windows 10.

Always be prepared for your car's software to do something weird and inexplicable. Every frustration that you experience is one that future generations won't have to. Thank you for your service.

It depends on what you're hoping for. ICE cars have been polished over a period of decades, and every advancement has been incremental, begrudged by manufacturers, tested to exhaustion, then made available to customers. On the other hand, a Tesla vehicle is a riot of changes, features and experiments that could go almost anywhere and lead to almost anything. They aren't cars so much as rolling technology, somewhere in between a traditional vehicle and Windows 10.

Always be prepared for your car's software to do something weird and inexplicable. Every frustration that you experience is one that future generations won't have to. Thank you for your service.
All good points. Lol now I feel like an astronaut setting foot on the moon for the first time 😃 I do agree- this is part of the reason I bought a Tesla. To be part of the new wave of a better mode of transportation that generally works better overall. Good attitude to have👍 small inconveniences that always have the possibility of being improved with the next computer download. Something I never had with an ICE. With that whatever I bought was the end of the road and the new upgrades were something I would just have to pay for by trading in my car for another new model. I like this line of thinking. Thanks

Reactions: JB47394
All good points. Lol now I feel like an astronaut setting foot on the moon for the first time 😃 I do agree- this is part of the reason I bought a Tesla. To be part of the new wave of a better mode of transportation that generally works better overall. Good attitude to have👍 small inconveniences that always have the possibility of being improved with the next computer download. Something I never had with an ICE. With that whatever I bought was the end of the road and the new upgrades were something I would just have to pay for by trading in my car for another new model. I like this line of thinking. Thanks
I hear ya - that's why I like Tesla. But if it worked fine and they removed the feature (summon) for what I can only think of is cost saving (no USS)... That is where my frustration comes from.

I hear ya - that's why I like Tesla. But if it worked fine and they removed the feature (summon) for what I can only think of is cost saving (no USS)... That is where my frustration comes from.
I totally agree! I'm trying to find a positive attitude because it just feels better than feeling crappy about a lot of money I just put out for a brand new car that isn't what I thought it was going to be... For instance I would have loved to have had a sunroof that opens! I probably would have used that more than the auto park or summon feature... I just wanted a chance to try those out once and then probably would have decided they're not anything I really needed. But an opening sunroof..? Heck yeah!!!

I totally agree! I'm trying to find a positive attitude because it just feels better than feeling crappy about a lot of money I just put out for a brand new car that isn't what I thought it was going to be... For instance I would have loved to have had a sunroof that opens! I probably would have used that more than the auto park or summon feature... I just wanted a chance to try those out once and then probably would have decided they're not anything I really needed. But an opening sunroof..? Heck yeah!!!
Well, I guess it’s all personal preference, but I hate opening roofs. I can count the times on my fingers when I used them in the past 15 years on my cars (they all had it). And I forgot once to close it and it rained. So definitely use auto park and summon a lot more than an opening roof. But that might be just me. It might be cost saving on Tesla’s side, but Elon said opening roof was so little used feature that’s not worth making it. I coincidentally agree with.

I almost exclusively drive with the sunroofs open in cars that have them. Even in light rain and on cold days. (sometimes in a thunderstorm on a hot day even, it's exhilarating)

My seat heaters are on high from September through May, 100% of the time.

I also use my hot tub at least once a day, sometimes twice. (ok, I have a bad back, and heat helps keep it calm).

All are things most people don't use, even if they have them.

For people who want them, it matters.

Either way, these features that were supposed to be enabled, that are slowly getting removed one by one feels crappy. I guess somewhere in the future this car may have it all, but in the meantime, I'm feeling a little cheated. Whatever, I guess I'm used to it from any car maker these days. Ugh.

Either way, these features that were supposed to be enabled, that are slowly getting removed one by one feels crappy. I guess somewhere in the future this car may have it all, but in the meantime, I'm feeling a little cheated. Whatever, I guess I'm used to it from any car maker these days. Ugh.
I know the feeling, I paid and extra $6,000 for the summon feature, only to learn today it's not available on my recently purchased vehicle and because I've had the car for more than 7 days I can't get a refund.

I know the feeling, I paid and extra $6,000 for the summon feature, only to learn today it's not available on my recently purchased vehicle and because I've had the car for more than 7 days I can't get a refund.
In my state it's basically no refunds as soon as you drive it off the lot 🙄maybe even before that, like as soon as you sign in the dotted line the value drops to half as a used car

Well, I have USS and FSD, so I have access to Autopark Summon and "Smart" Summon. You aren't missing out on much.

Autopark is very slow and rarely gets into a space on the first try when perpendicular parking. If there is another car waiting for you to park, it's particularly annoying to them to watch your car ineptly get into a simple space. I rarely, if ever use it as it's much faster to simply use the backup camera. Maybe V12 will bring an improved version, but you aren't missing anything unless you REALLY suck at parking your car.

Summon may be useful if you frequently need to fit your car in and out of a very tight space. I've used it once at an AirBNB house with an old narrow garage.

Smart Summon is less than worthless as using it may cost you dearly. I've only used it in an empty parking lot to play with it. I wouldn't trust it around anything that could harm my car or that my car could harm.

So, other than Summon, if you had USS and these functions, you might still feel cheated, as they have never been very good. The truth is that Tesla seems to have put them at the bottom of the priority stack to work on basic FSDb driving. Every now and then, Elon teases us that improvements are coming, but they never do.

Well, I have USS and FSD, so I have access to Autopark Summon and "Smart" Summon. You aren't missing out on much.

Autopark is very slow and rarely gets into a space on the first try when perpendicular parking. If there is another car waiting for you to park, it's particularly annoying to them to watch your car ineptly get into a simple space. I rarely, if ever use it as it's much faster to simply use the backup camera. Maybe V12 will bring an improved version, but you aren't missing anything unless you REALLY suck at parking your car.

Summon may be useful if you frequently need to fit your car in and out of a very tight space. I've used it once at an AirBNB house with an old narrow garage.

Smart Summon is less than worthless as using it may cost you dearly. I've only used it in an empty parking lot to play with it. I wouldn't trust it around anything that could harm my car or that my car could harm.

So, other than Summon, if you had USS and these functions, you might still feel cheated, as they have never been very good. The truth is that Tesla seems to have put them at the bottom of the priority stack to work on basic FSDb driving. Every now and then, Elon teases us that improvements are coming, but they never do.
Yeah, this all makes sense. I guess I just wanted to try them once and determine they weren't worthwhile but I guess what concerns me more is people who are saying that not having these USS functions (and I keep hearing conflicting opinions on whether Tesla's ever had radar in them to assist with auto-driving) actually makes the car less reliable in traffic because it's less able to picture the other vehicles without USS and or radar. For instance when it's on full self-drive. I don't know if that's just talk or not but so far I have not felt confident enough to let it FSD for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm hoping I eventually get more confident in it because I would like to relax driving, especially when I have a cross-country drive coming up. When it is on FSD, it continually checks that not only are my hands on the wheel but the car keeps insisting that I make a slight turning motion of the wheel apparently to prove I'm still there and very alert, but the effect is that I inevitably pop it out of FSD a certain percentage of the time, while I'm trying to do a slight turning motion to prove I'm still awake. As if I could relax much, since I don't trust it anyway. I don't know if these kind of ultra careful measures where it's checking every few minutes for a human being is new or it's always been that sensitive.
I used to have a car that had a certain amount of lane assist and it just needed to know my hands were on the wheel which it sensed I guess just by the pressure and weight of my hands on the wheel. That was a lot more comfortable for me. I always did remain alert with the road anyway because that's an obvious responsibility of a driver whether you're on FSD or not, but I suppose not everyone feels that way. I think of these driver assist modes as more of a kind of backup, if my reactions aren't as quick as a machine might be in a surprise situation. Hoping that the Tesla will prove to be useful in that possible someday situation.