Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Model 3 - Wifi update - anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I'd really like to connect my 3 to the wifi at my cabin (since there's no cell coverage) and I've read here that an update allows for that. Has anyone in Canada taken an update that allows their 3 to connect to wifi? Mine took an update recently -- but it didn't have it -- so I'm wondering if it's just a US thing only -- at least for now anyway?

Hi Bertsch,

When people say they got the update at the service center - It is usually the car is in for some type of service.
One of the things Tesla does during service visits it to check the software in your car...
If it is a level or two behind what is current, they will update the software during your visit.
There is some variability whether they apply the update or not...
If they have "pushed" an update into your car you should see the "Alarm clock" at the top of your display
which indicates there is a software update in your car - waiting for you to instruct the car to apply it.

Shawn

Just curious - What is the benefit of having WIFI? I got it as OTA and connected with my home WIFI.

Only way it can be used is on the road when LTE is not working and you have cell phone or data card from other providers which can be helpful.

I can’t think of anything else

Hi Viv,

As long as you own your car there will be a near continuous stream of data updates.
The sheer size of most of them would choke the cellular networks and cost you, me, and Tesla very large amounts of money to
deliver that amount of data by the cellular network...

200,000 cars delivered, shipped or manufactured with nearly 400,000 more owed to customers with updates we thought were
large, the map updates, I can only imagine the size of the FSD (if and when we get it) and other updates to a fleet this large by cellular...
I would not want to pay that bill...

Shawn

PS - That's why they are asking customers past July 1 to pay for data.

Just curious - What is the benefit of having WIFI? I got it as OTA and connected with my home WIFI.

Only way it can be used is on the road when LTE is not working and you have cell phone or data card from other providers which can be helpful.

I can’t think of anything else

For example, I have very poor LTE coverage at home. So when I'm trying to pre-condition my car, the app sometimes takes several tries to connect to the car. Now that I'm able to use wifi, that issue is pretty much negated. It will also download updates more seamlessly if my car has been queued up to receive them while it is parked at home.

Also when going to the cottage where there is very little cell coverage as well, I can still send commands to the car over wifi.

As of July 1 as well, anyone who purchases a Tesla and does not opt for the premium connectivity services after the free trial can only received software updates over wifi.

I'm also pretty sure wifi capabilities are turned off when you're driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Viv ki Bijli