Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - the FLO L3 charger at Jag's Petro Canada Service Centre in Port Severn is working after working out my ChargePoint account. I just bought the CHAdeMO adapter last week and wanted to test it out, even if Superchargers were nearby and quicker. Need to make sure that the adapter works before I really needed it. :)

It was 44 kw or around 200 km/hr of charge. 400V DC and 100A. $15/hour session.

I thought we could just use a normal credit card at ChargePoint chargers but apparently that's not the case.

Reactions: Jaff
I could be mistaken, but I thought you could use a credit card at free ChargePoint stations to unlock the handle (I guess it would just use any old RFID to work) but on stations that charge a fee, you had to use your ChargePoint card or app.

I did use a credit card to unlock the chargepoint station in Ithaca NY on Saturday, after reading that was the trick on plugshare.

I had a chargepoint card in the car, but couldn't find it, so that was a relief.

So I can confirm it works at least at that location.

Does anyone have any intel regarding the L2 and L3 chargers at the Toronto Cooper Koo Family YMCA on Cherry St? It's an amazing location for much needed downtown L3 infrastructure.

250 Volts of Change

The location was listed as Under Construction on Plugshare last summer, and there were 6 L2 chargers, and 1 Combo L3 charger, all wired up seemingly ready to go at the time. NONE are activated then, and nothing has changed since. Such a shame.

YMCA staff have no idea who is in charge or what the situation is. The listing has disappeared from Plugshare.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
All the chargers, including the CCS Combo/CHAdeMO unit, have been installed with metal conduit and disconnects, are well labelled, and presumably wired up as well.

Do they have any network markings? fwiw, before the site disappeared from plugshare someone reported they got a level two unit to work.

There was also a comment about a changement of management for the garage and possibly for the charging provider. The CHAdeMO pictures on plugshare were mostly ones KSI posted (and are still on) facebook on January 4, 2016.

Do they have any network markings? fwiw, before the site disappeared from plugshare someone reported they got a level two unit to work.

There was also a comment about a changement of management for the garage and possibly for the charging provider. The CHAdeMO pictures on plugshare were mostly ones KSI posted (and are still on) facebook on January 4, 2016.
The only markings besides the brand of the equipment was Opus One: Home Page - Opus One Solutions who seem to have implemented their "microgrid".

YMCA staff also indicated that some L2 chargers were active, but when I took a stroll around I couldn't find any. Any why would the listing be removed regardless?

The only markings besides the brand of the equipment was Opus One: Home Page - Opus One Solutions who seem to have implemented their "microgrid".

YMCA staff also indicated that some L2 chargers were active, but when I took a stroll around I couldn't find any. Any why would the listing be removed regardless?

It is probably good that that someone else has taken over from KSI. (KSI logo was visible on the plugshare pictures). Since plugshare is crowd-sourced almost anyone could have had the location removed.

I'm leaving to Ottawa in a few hours and was checking PlugShare for new chargers, hoping there could be a new CHAdeMO charger in the city (so I don't have to go to Gatineau). And to my surprise, there is one in the Byward Market!

Electric Circuit - Ottawa Clarence St | Ottawa, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I thought someone was just being funny and added it, but it was also there on FLO and Electric Circuit apps. How come no one talked about it until now?
Did anyone test this station yet?

There's bad news though. It's really expensive; $17 per hour. The one in Gatineau is much cheaper at $10 per hour.

I thought someone was just being funny and added it, but it was also there on FLO and Electric Circuit apps. How come no one talked about it until now?
Did anyone test this station yet?

There's bad news though. It's really expensive; $17 per hour. The one in Gatineau is much cheaper at $10 per hour.

It was mentioned recently in "New Ontario Chargers," a thread that was created regarding the EVCO program.

$17/hr is high in rural areas since EVCO, on top of all installation costs, is picking up all operating expenses for two years.

In Urban locations, EVCO doesn't pay operating costs, but the host may bemtaking a loss on the real-estate, so I don't begrudge high fees. Let's say the station is operating three hours day (1x1hr Tesla or Bolt and 6x 20m LEAF). That is only $51/day. How much does a single underground heated parking space rent for in downtown Ottawa? Sometimes the equipment takes up a second space as well.

Of course, if they're billing you $15 for parking for an hour on top off the charging fees, people will go elsewhere.

IMHO, there won't be a real established market rate for fast charging until its ubiquitous and there is real competition. Until then, we will take what we can get and we shouldn't get too concerned about the rates. It's more important that the infrastructure be where it's needed. The rest will work itself out eventually.

Reactions: RiverBrick
OMG - a Level 3 in Ottawa! Not working yet. Friend of mine just took this picture at the Park-n-Ride in Kanata, behind the theatre.

177a71415519fb02f2c395b3c3ee4a7f.jpg

Recent Globe and Mail article:
"Ontario is driving hard to build a comprehensive charging network. The province’s Ministry of Transportation lists 274 Level 2 charging stations in the province and 211 Level 3s, with as many more in the works. (Level 2 chargers use 240 volts; Level 3s deliver 480 volts and can bring an EV to 80 per cent charge in 30 minutes – eight times the speed of Level 2.)"

Why the future of cars is electric