Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P

Well, at least in BC the build out goes pretty quick. This really opens up the province. Unfortunately it kinda closes the door to the model 3 for us as it is essentially a slave to a proprietary charging system. We would love to buy a model 3 but in this province it is now getting really restricted on where you can travel in BC. Cmon Elon. Where is that Chademo adapter.

I think at this point you won't see a chademo adapter. In my opinion, we're much more likely to see a CCS adapter come out, as Tesla is already having to throw their ball in that court for Europe.

I missed a big one. A company has been approved for 100 sites for the max total government contribution of $5,000,000 in Ontario. It's very strange, it's a numbered company.

Any corporate sleuths here that can find out more about 2587265 Ontario Inc. ? Hopefully, it's not the KSI guy hiding behind a screen.

I checked out a few of the addresses listed for their installations and they lead next to nowhere, as if they're just placeholders. For example, one is at the side of a field, another at an intersection with no apparent business that would host stations nearby.

Hmmm, How interesting.
Addresses that don't make any sense, a numbered company.
Smells of a Liberal Sponsorship Scandal. And that would be such a shock after what we learned from JWR this week.
If you aren't old enough to remember...
LMGTFY

For Phase 2, it looks like 6/7 of the NB Power ones are already open. H-Q (Electric Circuit) 26/100. PEI 0/6. Petro-Canada 0/100, but they have opened a site not receiving Federal funding in Milton, ON.

This map of Phase 2 funded sites (no distinction between open yet or not) is a volunteer effort of C. Boucher.

Programme infrastructures vertes phase 2 - Google My Maps

In Ontario, the numbered company appears to have decent coverage of many highways whereas as the FLO/Canadian Tire partnership is mostly in urban areas that already have a lot of CHAdeMO/CCS and Superchargers. (Overall FLO/Canadian Tire coverage is better in Saskatchewan).

Last edited:
One theory is that the numbered company in Ontario is Hydro One or a consortium of Hydro One and other electricity providers. Some of the addresses are near Hydro One sub-stations. They will not have any trouble getting juice to those stations, but they don't offer services travelers want.
This has advantages, such as making EV charging more reliable and the load easier to control during things like emergency evacuations where there may be damage to the grid.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Re: the mysterious numbered company - I've got a lawyer running a search and will post back with any info.

If it is indeed Hydro One, the placeholder addresses are in really weird locations. The one near me, in Sudbury, is at the end of a dead end street right near a substation with NOTHING near it, aside from a cemetary. Not really a great place for a charging site.

I think at this point you won't see a chademo adapter. In my opinion, we're much more likely to see a CCS adapter come out, as Tesla is already having to throw their ball in that court for Europe.

The only thing I've heard that makes any sense (and comes from a somewhat inside source) says this: Model 3 owners all have to pay for DC Fast Charging, and Tesla would rather see that business come to their own Supercharger stations as opposed to the business going elsewhere. Until recently, this was not the case with S and X where Supercharging was free. In those cases, Tesla would be happy to have you charge someplace else.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

It could hinge on Tesla's approach in Japan. If they are single port, with the Tesla Supercharger port only, they'd need to supply a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model 3.

But if they go dual port, as they did with the S/X in China, they probably won't bother.

And thinking back to the dim and distant past, if I recall correctly, the CHAdeMO adapter for the S was first released in Japan.

Last edited:
So is it correct that in Europe they completely replaced the Tesla charge port on the M3 for a CCS one?
Is that why the new EU Superchargers have dual cables, as M3 can't use old SC tech there?
I had read that one of the CCS standards was to not allow adapters to be used with a CCS cable, but my dad used to say believe none of what you read and only half of what you see.
So a far fetched possibility is that they are planning on retrofitting all M3s to CCS and then release a Tesla to CCS adapter instead of the other way around.
Either way, it's pretty odd that the Chademo adapter hasn't been configured to work with the M3. Has got to be software related as 50kW of DC at the end of the day is still just 50kW of DC.
My Chademo Adapter failed a few weeks back, turned out it seems to have been software related and restarting the MCU appears to have fixed it, though they can't definitively confirm that. As such, I now have an extra Chademo adapter that is going to get shipped back to them as soon as the Mobile Ranger confirms there is nothing wrong with the first one.

Oh look how many fast chargers there now are in Sask and Manitoba. Yay!
2686A3F3-96DA-4FB5-A750-92C2203183E3.jpeg

So is it correct that in Europe they completely replaced the Tesla charge port on the M3 for a CCS one?
Is that why the new EU Superchargers have dual cables, as M3 can't use old SC tech there?
I had read that one of the CCS standards was to not allow adapters to be used with a CCS cable, but my dad used to say believe none of what you read and only half of what you see.
So a far fetched possibility is that they are planning on retrofitting all M3s to CCS and then release a Tesla to CCS adapter instead of the other way around.
Either way, it's pretty odd that the Chademo adapter hasn't been configured to work with the M3. Has got to be software related as 50kW of DC at the end of the day is still just 50kW of DC.
My Chademo Adapter failed a few weeks back, turned out it seems to have been software related and restarting the MCU appears to have fixed it, though they can't definitively confirm that. As such, I now have an extra Chademo adapter that is going to get shipped back to them as soon as the Mobile Ranger confirms there is nothing wrong with the first one.

Model S/X don't use a Tesla connector in Europe, they use the standard type 2 connector, slightly modified to repurpose some pins for higher power when plugged into a supercharger.

This unfortunately means a CCS adapter for euro S/X won't work on NA S/X.

Oh look how many fast chargers there now are in Sask and Manitoba. Yay!

You should replace "now are" by "eventually will be". As the image shows, almost all of them have the wrench, so they are only planned and might not be ready for one or two years. Others are the 24 kW max CCS-only ones typically found at VW, Chevy, and BMW dealers.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Apparently, the numbered company comes back as "Hydro One Network." One theory with the number is that they want to hide the fact they're spending money on EV infrastructure from Mr. Ford. :)

The addresses still don't make any logical sense, though. Some of them are in the middle of nowhere, with no amenities nearby. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere to charge my vehicle, especially if you didn't know if the equipment was operational.

Reactions: MarcoRP