Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ikea chargers in Burlington are notoriously problematic. The Chademo chargers in particular have been non-operative in the past. I suspect the problem lies with the charger and not your adaptor. Have you tried it at other chargers in the area to see if the problem repeats?
No I haven't. But in speaking with others at the ikea chargers they haven't seen these issues. I know the Ikea charges are a bit temperamental. We often use them with my wife's bolt, but it has never scaled back the rate to 11 kw in 2.5 years of using it (on average once every couple weeks). Now the bolt is CCS and model 3 is chademo, so a slight difference there, but I still think there is either see software bug or firmware issue with the tesla that other EVs don't exhibit.

I've only used the station 3-4 times. I'll try and be more observant and use them a bit more to see if there is any other trend that comes out. The very first time I used the Chargers I didn't have this issue. But that was in the evening now that I think of it,and the limiting happened to me during the day. So maybe it's the chademo adaptor that is overheating? That would explain why letting it sit for a few minutes gave me the full 48 kw again.

Anyway, at the very least it isn't happening 100% of the time since it doesn't appear to be something others are experiencing. If I find out more I'll post here in case it's helpful to others.

I just tried to use a chademo adapter for the first time this past weekend. The app seemed to work, the station seemed to work, but the car would not accept a charge. I'm trying to determine if it's the car or a faulty adapter - when i plug it in, pressing the button on the adapter does not trigger the charge port door to open, and when I plug it in, the car does not latch on to the plug. So does this indicate a faulty adapter, or an issue with the car firmware?

I just tried to use a chademo adapter for the first time this past weekend. The app seemed to work, the station seemed to work, but the car would not accept a charge. I'm trying to determine if it's the car or a faulty adapter - when i plug it in, pressing the button on the adapter does not trigger the charge port door to open, and when I plug it in, the car does not latch on to the plug. So does this indicate a faulty adapter, or an issue with the car firmware?
Is it a KSI charger? If it is, it’s probably the KSI charger that’s a problem.

I saw on Plugshare the Petro Canada fast chargers are ready for testing In Medicine Hat and Siksika, Alberta starting today. It mentions messaging them on Plugshare if you want to test. With those two opening up, their network is looking complete between Regina and Calgary.

ok. the charger did appear to work properly - it verified and activated, everything clicked, the the car said charging stopped. The car never locked on to the adapter.
Did the Chademo plug lock in place in the adapter? Some of the Tesla Chademo adapters don’t latch properly and keeps them from charging. If you can pull the plug out of the adapter without needing to press the release latch on the plug, then you’ve got a faulty adapter.

Did the Chademo plug lock in place in the adapter? Some of the Tesla Chademo adapters don’t latch properly and keeps them from charging. If you can pull the plug out of the adapter without needing to press the release latch on the plug, then you’ve got a faulty adapter.

haha bingo, I think. I just tried again today at a different station, same result. Car didn't detect the charger, station didn't detect the car. I just decided that I might have a defective adapter, then I see your post.
Now to figure out how I return the sucker and get it replaced...

haha bingo, I think. I just tried again today at a different station, same result. Car didn't detect the charger, station didn't detect the car. I just decided that I might have a defective adapter, then I see your post.
Now to figure out how I return the sucker and get it replaced...
Just contact Tesla. They know about the issue and can arrange to replace it.

Reactions: sheamurai
Petro Canada - Brandon
They have most of their equipment hooked up & ready to go.
Problem: They need a new pole and transformer. MB Hydro is very busy replacing thousands? of poles that got broken in last weekends storm. Spoke to one of the workers. They are moving along at a good rate and it sounds like everywhere Tesla SuC are, Petro Canada will be also. Was telling me he thought there was a non-Tesla adapter available.
Petro Can Brandon 20191018.jpg

Got a replacement adapter from Tesla and tried it out. No joy as it has the same problem, “gun lock problem”. Here’s a quick video of the problem:
I ordered a new adapter, I tested it at the same charging station(my previous adapter has the lock issue at that station).
Now, the new adapter does not have the locking issue.
Seems that locking issue is only related that batch.

Thanks.

Good news for EV owners in PEI (calling the one and only @rypalmer ). A set of one DCFC and one J1772 are going up at the Canadian Tire per the PEI EV Facebook page, who also posted the photos below. I wonder if this is finally going to be the beginning of Canadian Tire’s EV charging rollout.
80BF4985-4D5D-438D-B241-D7968CCD3247.jpegE9F899EF-DA1D-48D3-AE73-D9A19E2DD4F6.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: rypalmer
Good news for EV owners in PEI (calling the one and only @rypalmer ). A set of one DCFC and one J1772 are going up at the Canadian Tire per the PEI EV Facebook page, who also posted the photos below. I wonder if this is finally going to be the beginning of Canadian Tire’s EV charging rollout.
View attachment 469338View attachment 469339
Appreciate the shout-out. Exciting that this is finally happening. Sadly I'm out of the game for the moment but hope to be driving an EV on the island again soon.

Are there any tips to speed up chademo charging (like how supercharging pre conditions the battery for faster charge rate)?

I find often it takes 30 min or so to ramp to full 50 kw charge 'seen' by my model 3. Ie, the charging station is putting out 46-48 kw but the car only reports getting 38-40 kw. After about 30 min, the car jumps to seeing the full rate the station is outputting.

I wonder if setting the destination to a supercharger and letting the battery warm up would let me get the full 50 kw rate from the get go? My assumption is obviously that the 'missing' kw at the beginning of the session is going to heating the battery pack so it can take the full rate.... curious if others see the same behavior on their model 3s?

It is the 20 Babineau PEI Energy site. So, the beginning of the rollout of the six PEI Energy units. No apparent link to other Canadian Tire projects.

charlottetown.jpg

I wonder if setting the destination to a supercharger and letting the battery warm up would let me get the full 50 kw rate from the get go? My assumption is obviously that the 'missing' kw at the beginning of the session is going to heating the battery pack so it can take the full rate.... curious if others see the same behavior on their model 3s?
Nope that's not the case... all chargers are current limited, but CHAdeMO is REALLY current limited (to 120 amps typically). If your battery voltage was higher, you'd get the same max amps but at a higher voltage == more kW. Volts (thus energy in kW) go up as your state of charge goes up. I really disliked how low the nominal voltage of my Model S 75D was for this reason. CHAdeMO sessions would range from only 35-43 kW.

Reactions: Tz00
Nope that's not the case... all chargers are current limited, but CHAdeMO is REALLY current limited (to 120 amps typically). If your battery voltage was higher, you'd get the same max amps but at a higher voltage == more kW. Volts (thus energy in kW) go up as your state of charge goes up. I really disliked how low the nominal voltage of my Model S 75D was for this reason. CHAdeMO sessions would range from only 35-43 kW.
I wasn't clear in my post: early into my charging session I can see that the volts x amps on the charger does not match the kw the car reports going into the battery. Later in the session the car rate pretty much equals volts x current of the charger. There is usually about a 7 kw Delta which lasts about 30 min.

On top of this, as the SOC increases the pack voltage goes up, but that's not the effect I'm talking about.