Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 151km "Standard Range" variant: looking for actual real-world feedback (repost here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was suggested that this is the better sub-forum...

Transport Canada apparently says that as of March 2020, 126 brave souls ordered (and took delivery of) the 151km "range-limited" Model 3. (maybe more by now!)

Does anyone have any factual information about how the range-limit is imposed? (used battery capacity, hard range limit?) Also, specifics on the charging routine required to "reset" the range limit is important; does it need to be 100% every time, or just some kind of nominal charge?

It occurs to me that a full-charge to 100% to "reset" the range limit would go against Tesla's own recommendations.

I'd prefer not to see endless comments about why not to buy it; that is NOT what this topic is about.

OK, I read the "main" thread, but it was swimming with irrelevant opinions and comments, but it did have a few actual owner's comments, but they were frustratingly limited and somewhat contradictory!

- One owner suggested that the actual driven range could be quite a bit higher than 150km (reported to be 168km), another stated that the driven(?) range seemed to hover around 145km, regardless what the conditions were (winter/summer)!

- One owner stated that the maximum ACTUAL battery charge, read by the ODBII port was around 40%. This is actually not a bad thing, you don't want to be charging lithium cells to 100% all the time, it's much better that you don't. It also makes sense from a Supercharger perspective; if the battery was usually filled to the "top" then drawn-down to the 151km "limit", a Supercharger charge would be agonizingly slow for such a small range increase.

It's a ginormous kluge by Tesla. We know the car has a 54KWh battery, but it's software shenanigans to limit actual usable capacity to somewhere around 20KWh, but the "limit" is essentially range-centric (the advertised 151km), which throws weird wrenches into the works where it SEEMS that it's a strange hybrid of of capacity (which is essentially unlimited) and range.

Anyhoo, if any more has been figured out since the last thread kind of died, I'd be very keen!

Just like it is possible for SR+ and LR owners to go over the rated range by careful driving, it will be possible with this model as well. As such, you shouldn't base your understanding on reports of distance driven. At the very least, you should have all the information in that case: exact route (to know elevation), wind, temperature, speed travelled, weight carried, tire model, inflation...

Since we know it's a ~55kWh pack just like SR+, it has to be software limited. Using a constant of 148wh/km like the SR+ (it's the same weight etc) gives a usable capacity of 22.35kWh for 151km. I don't know if they keep a bottom buffer, and if it's usable like in other models, but clearly there's going to be a big top buffer. I would be led to think that filling to 100% (displayed) regularly would not be a problem all all. 22.35 / 55kWh does give 40% as shown in ScanMyTesla (or other app), which gives good credit to this theory that it's all top buffer.

Just like it is possible for SR+ and LR owners to go over the rated range by careful driving, it will be possible with this model as well. As such, you shouldn't base your understanding on reports of distance driven. At the very least, you should have all the information in that case: exact route (to know elevation), wind, temperature, speed travelled, weight carried, tire model, inflation...

Since we know it's a ~55kWh pack just like SR+, it has to be software limited. Using a constant of 148wh/km like the SR+ (it's the same weight etc) gives a usable capacity of 22.35kWh for 151km. I don't know if they keep a bottom buffer, and if it's usable like in other models, but clearly there's going to be a big top buffer. I would be led to think that filling to 100% (displayed) regularly would not be a problem all all. 22.35 / 55kWh does give 40% as shown in ScanMyTesla (or other app), which gives good credit to this theory that it's all top buffer.
Cool, this pretty much re-iterates my understanding, but obviously selling a car with an absolutely explicit range "limit", regardless of what the car is technically capable of, has never really happened before.

A small part of the puzzle missing is an absolute confirmation that it charges based on some kind of nominal estimation of what "151km" is in actual kWh (22kWh?), but actually has a fairly flexible "limit". It seems to me that, as others have said, calculating available range on an essentially 40% use-case battery is incredibly difficult. Basically, it would be great if owners had some kind of accurate way to log the actual ending SoC (the app?) and power used (tougher!).

Also, there was very little data of real-word range versus estimated range, a few tantalizing snippets, but very little to go on. Unfortunatley, the owners that did post semed to be more concerend with the after-charge estimated range, rather than what they actually experienced.

My guess is that it has to be some kind of baseline required charge for 151km (22kWh) and it tracks usage while driving and when you go to charge it simply charges the power that has been used, to try to reach that baseline, but also allowing for a bit of a fudge-factor if the displayed, estimated total range would be far above or below that. Obviously, the weird situation of having a fixed estimated range means that from a customer satisfaction point of view, you can never really have that fully-charged estimated range be much off the 151km "nominal", something like 120 would be a PR nightmare for them, so I assume there is a lot of futzing to make sure it stays in a +/- 10km window.

As has been noted, in the middle of winter it would still charge to 150-ish km, which seems to suggest that if it was -5C one day, the a next, a sunny spring day 15C the next, that sunny day you may have a far bigger "buffer" since the car actually put far more than 151km worth of "warm weather" power back into the battery. But, is that "buffer' usable? Good question! ;)

If you think about it for a while, it's actually extremely complex when you look at driving situations and what the actual efficiency might be per 151km. It's a ginormous kluge, but I suspect that there's a lot of erring on the side of caution, which owners might be able to leverage, under the right conditions.

Last edited:
I'm betting that it's actually programmed as a 22.35kWh battery. I don't think there's adjustment in terms of kms. With that said, we know that Tesla does some adjustment of the bottom buffer to "hide" a part of degradation. It's possible that the BMS uses the top buffer to continue to have 22.35kWh usable, which would essentially make that car immune to degradation. I don't know what they actually do, I'm just saying they could do this...

My guess is that it has to be some kind of baseline required charge for 151km (22KW/h) and it tracks usage while driving and when you go to charge it simply charges the power that has been used, to try to reach that baseline, but also allowing for a bit of a fudge-factor if the displayed, estimated total range would be far above or below that. As has been implied, in the middle of winter it would still charge to 150-ish KM, which seems to suggest that if it was -5C one day, the a next, a sunny spring day 15C the next, that sunny day you may have a far bigger "buffer" since the car actually put far more than 151km worth of "warm weather" power back into the battery. But, is that "buffer' usable? Good question! ;)
Tesla has never done anything like that. For all of the limited battery packs they have just set a mapping where something like 80% actual state of charge is reported as 100%. There is nothing specifically linked to the range or actual energy capacity. (So you share in the degradation just like everyone else.) This has been true for every time they do this. (40s with a 60 pack, 60s with a 75 pack, etc.) Well, actually the original Model S 40 actually just limited you to setting the state of charge to a maximum of 69%, they didn't implement the mapping of that limit until later.

In the case of the Canadian SR- that mapping is likely just about 40% is reported as 100%. Your usage/weather/etc makes no difference.

Reactions: Big Earl
This is pretty straight forward. The car is limited to 40% of its maximum capacity - a number that comes out to ~22.35 kWh when new.

As your maximum capacity degrades over time, you are left with 40% of the current actual capacity - a number that comes out to less than 22.35 kWh.

The current state of charge is displayed in EPA rated miles, which is a fixed constant based on EPA test results - as mentioned above, that number is 148 Wh/km.

If you're driving in the winter, expect a 30 - 40% reduction in range due to decreased driving efficiency. That gives your 151 km EPA rated range car an actual range of between 90.6 km and 105.7 km. If you drive more efficiently than the EPA test, like very slowly in moderate weather, when drafting another vehicle or when being pushed by a tail wind, you could get more than 151 km of range out of your 22.35 kWh worth of charge (when new).

If your car experiences 10% degradation over five years, you'll be left with 20.115 kWh of usable capacity, which would display as 136 km of range.

Hopefully this helps clear up some of the confusion on the Canadian SR-.

Reactions: GtiMart and MP3Mike
Sorry for bringing up a 2 week old thread, but thought it would be better than creating a new one.

So just to verify, since the capacity is software limited is it ok to fully charge it to 100% every time? Instead of charging to 60-70% to preserve the health of the battery. Since it is only using 40% of the battery pack.

Sorry for bringing up a 2 week old thread, but thought it would be better than creating a new one.

So just to verify, since the capacity is software limited is it ok to fully charge it to 100% every time? Instead of charging to 60-70% to preserve the health of the battery. Since it is only using 40% of the battery pack.
Yes I have read threads etc that did say this, you should charge to 100% each time as it is only software locking the battery to a specific charge state. The software will rotate the use of the different cells of the battery as needed

Given that we now know that the lower SoC the better to minimize calendar aging of batteries, and calendar aging being the dominant one in the first few years for battery degradation (more info), I'd be curious to know how these 151km Standard Range's batteries are degrading. They should be holding up well relative to SR+, as the SoC is always less than 40%. If that is the case, they could be nice low cost options as a 2nd city car if one can be found on the used car market. Can anyone with one of these vehicles comment on how well their batteries are holding up?