Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Rockies Trip

Lack of EV chargers in the Rockies

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

We just finished our trip to the Rockies. It’s a beautiful place. The mountains, the glaciers, the nature are all magnificent, however I’m not here to brag about awesome it was. I was extremely disappointed about the amount of electric vehicles in the area. I did some PlugSharing in the area and I’m sad to say that I feel like I saw more chargers than EVs. I know, it’s Alberta, but I mean, I would still expect to see more ECars than what I saw. I don’t know if there is a rebate for EVs in AB but I strongly doubt it.

There is also, in my opinion, a strong lack of chargers in the National Parks of the Rockies (Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper) except Banff maybe, but that’s only because there are complimentary chargers at hotels and ski resorts. Parks Canada really needs a charging infrastructure so that any EV can travel across the Rockies safely without breaking down. However, I know there aren’t many spots that would be able to accommodate chargers due to poor access to electricity. I think the primordial focus on the chargers’ location should be in terms of the popularity of the attractions like: Lake Louise, Miette Hot Springs or Columbia Icefield.

Has anyone else done the Rockies in an EV? What did you think?

(Note that we did not rent an EV so maybe I can’t say the same for you guys)

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
I did Vancouver to Lethbridge, amazing drive. I spoke to the guys ripping down the hotel at the summit of Rogers Pass. They said there is a charger going in there. I easily found both super chargers and destination chargers on the way and had no range anxiety. I don’t recall ever stopping at a super charger and not seeing another EV. Alberta is not going to adopt the EV until someone makes a pick up.

It's mainly due to the lack of electric infrastructure. If my memory serves correctly, there is not even an electric grid into Saskatchewan River Crossing, nor at the Columbia Icefields. All the electricity to run those operations is provided by diesel generator.
I'll let you determine whether you think the NIMBY environmentalists are more apt to clear cutting forests to lay out an electric grid, or continue burning diesel to provide you with your lovely tourist experience (hope you enjoyed it.) Parks Canada is such a ridiculous organization mired in massive amounts of red tape and bureaucracy. Fat chance getting any EV charging infrastructure on HWY 93 between Louise and Jasper. It's rugged; good or bad - that's the way it is, and likely how it will continue to be for a long time.

As for EVs - they are making their way here. Alberta has normally (don't take the last ~5-10 years into account) been fiscally conservative and therefore no taxpayer subsidies like those in BC, ON and QC. Anecdotally however, I am seeing about 8-12 Teslas a month during my commutes and travels. A year ago it was probably only 3-5 per month.
However, like Darscot just mentioned while I was typing this, there are a good spacing of L3 chargers either already in place, or on their way once you hit Golden into BC.

It is my opinion that EVs need to stand on their own merit, and subsidies are the wrong way to go, but that's the method your three provinces have gone - so be it. Without getting too political, many voters in various jurisdictions will punish their governments for these subsidies, and many will vote for a government for these policies as well (single issue voters).

Reactions: MarcoRP
It is my opinion that EVs need to stand on their own merit, and subsidies are the wrong way to go, but that's the method your three provinces have gone - so be it. Without getting too political, many voters in various jurisdictions will punish their governments for these subsidies, and many will vote for a government for these policies as well (single issue voters).

EVs are ridiculously expensive (current M3 anyway) for the average family household at the present moment.

When a misinformed (or purposely misinforming) politico bashes EV incentives to get votes "for the people". Easy votes to sway to cancel incentives and bring back dinosaur juice down $0.10 a litre (still hasn't happened). Until a Toyota / Honda / GM / etc. builds a 25k EV without any advance tech - just a battery drive train. High adoption rates will be low since people do have brand loyalty. Myself for example - Honda 98 Accord > 99 Civic > 2017 Civic > Model 3.

I'm excite for the new VW Beetle as it'll be all electric for that model name plate going forward. VW is the only company that's taking Tesla seriously with heavy investment into scaling EV production. Come on Honda... get your *sugar* together!

Can we cancel the gas subsidies (between 3 to 5 billion per year) so everyone can stand on their own merit? :rolleyes:

ICE car will still be cheaper to buy than EV cars, but the everyday expenditures will prove that in the long run, EV cars are way cheaper than ICE (and better for the planet too).

Still waiting for politicians to call for an equal playing field...