Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Signature discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, were pretty tough in Toronto... haven't had to call the army in to clear snow for a few years now :smile:
A few years back I heard you guys just melt the snow & ice...... with an army of flamethrowers ? :redface:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 11.37.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 11.37.58 PM.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Flamethrower.jpg
    Flamethrower.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
It was a crazy roller coaster ride, but my car made it safely home! Nasty cold weather, but thankfully no wind... Still the transport lift barely worked. My first post from my (wife's) Model S. Now, to bed!

Congratulations KBF!! Long, long wait finally over. It's exciting to know that Manitoba has its first S. Mine/ours is finalized with an expected delivery March-April (we'll see!).

I look forward to seeing yours sometime!

Rob

I can tell you as well it is not the last one. My friend had a huge crappy road getting here so far but is supposed to finally pick his signature up today.

He was called to come get it on December 22 at 9am. He went to the Montreal location that day, filled out all the paperwork, did the explanations tour along with someone else on another car and at the end when it was time to get his car they went into the back garage and the car was NOT there!!! It had never made it and nobody had bothered to check. Was told it was a weather delay. He was not happy believe me. That was a Saturday. They told him it would likely be available in 2 days the following Monday.

On Monday when he called tesla told him not to come. The truck with his vehicle was involved in a road accident and 2 cars were damaged. Guess who? The rear bumper on the passenger side was scratched and the reflector light was broken. It was mostly cosmetic but needed repairs.They had to order a new rear bumper housing, all modular, and that took two weeks to paint and replace.

He is very new to the tesla thing and I kind of pushed him along with the order and got him all excited. Needless to say he was not impressed with things (although accidents happen, the initial telling him to come pick up when there is no actual car there is quite cruel and quite incompetent you have to admit). Such a bummer to take possession of a brand new luxury car with painted, repaired parts right off the bat!

Anyway, hopefully he gets it today without further issues.

How's that for a horror story???

Interestingly my Nav is now working unexpectedly. Seems to have happened after the 4.1 software update from a few days ago but I just found while "playing" with Google maps
Visit from Telsa Ranger is no longer required. No SIM to reset or whatever Tesla was expecting to do.
Would be nice to have version 4.2 to correct the issues with 4.1

There was one Signature that was delivered the next morning after me in Winnipeg, so keep your eyes peeled for a white one.

I drove to Winnipeg and back yesterday, non realizing the conditions would be near-whiteout on tte way home. The S handled itself nicely, but the wind was very strong. It was a standard charge, 140 kms round trip with the heaters blasting most of the way with a lot of speeding up and slowing down between 60 and 95 kph due to tte conditions. When I got home, I had 90 kms of projected range left (not ideal, but based on the last x kms), so I was quite happy with it's performance. I was doing absolutely nothing to increase range, NO compromises. I was toasty warm, although a little stressed about keeping a straight line, which is difficult with crazy blowing snow with sunshine up above making everything a pure white glare.

I will not take the S on certain trips, mainly those on gravel with big drifts - I'll keep my 4wd Explorer for that right now!

There was one Signature that was delivered the next morning after me in Winnipeg, so keep your eyes peeled for a white one.

I drove to Winnipeg and back yesterday, non realizing the conditions would be near-whiteout on tte way home. The S handled itself nicely, but the wind was very strong. It was a standard charge, 140 kms round trip with the heaters blasting most of the way with a lot of speeding up and slowing down between 60 and 95 kph due to tte conditions. When I got home, I had 90 kms of projected range left (not ideal, but based on the last x kms), so I was quite happy with it's performance. I was doing absolutely nothing to increase range, NO compromises. I was toasty warm, although a little stressed about keeping a straight line, which is difficult with crazy blowing snow with sunshine up above making everything a pure white glare.

I will not take the S on certain trips, mainly those on gravel with big drifts - I'll keep my 4wd Explorer for that right now!

Are you going to be driving around in the extreme cold in your region this week? Let us know how it goes as it is cold but drier in your area and would add some good data points.

Current conditions for Steinbach, MB, courtesy Environment Canada: -31C, 71% Humidity. Pretty darn cold. Not too dry...

You are right! Made an assumption of the humidity because it was the prairies and usually when this kind of cold sets in there the ceiling opens up and the moisture tends to go with it. Winter has only just begun, so i'm sure there will be more opportunities for validating the Model S in extreme conditions. Zapped in Edmonton should also be able to give us some good data as they tend to get some nasty cold snaps there as well.

Zapped in Edmonton should also be able to give us some good data as they tend to get some nasty cold snaps there as well.
Love'in the cold.... no slush, mush, shand and main roads good enough for summer tires.
-26 on Sunday morning but it warmed up to -20 by the time I got on the road. Left from a warm garage. Surprisingly no issues whatsoever with fogging windows. RH was about 50 something %
Out for 3 hours with 2 - 45 minute stops, no plugging in, and got the "Battery Cold" warning everytime I put it in Park even though the climate controls were ON.
Need that "if you have the TESLA mobile app"

Cold Battery.jpg

Last edited:
If it's cold enough, and -20C is cold enough, that message will pop up even if you've been driving for a couple of hours. The pack simply doesn't get warm enough for that message to go away.

Is there a risk to the battery or just reduced power due to the cold? We've heard about how the heat can damage batteries (referring to stories about the Leaf) but I'm wondering if drawing power from an excessively cold battery is harmful. My guess is that the car is managing it as best it can in the extreme cold.