Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever drive from Montreal to Orlando, FL? I’m planning to do it in late March and am a little nervous. I’ve only driven from Montreal to Toronto a couple of times.

what’s the cost of charging at a Supercharger in the USA?
Use the A Better Route planner app or web site. It’ll plan the entire route for you and shows you the charging times and costs along the route. Montreal to Orlando is an easy trip for charging.

Anyone ever drive from Montreal to Orlando, FL? I’m planning to do it in late March and am a little nervous. I’ve only driven from Montreal to Toronto a couple of times.

what’s the cost of charging at a Supercharger in the USA?
It's very easy as there as so many superchargers along that route.

The in-car routing ususally does a pretty good job, but don't hesitate to second-guess its choices. For example on one occasion it picked up a super slow 72kW Urban Supercharger while there was a 250 kW v3 just two blocks away. Or also a couple of times it needlessly slow-charged beyond 90% to skip the next charge stop, but when I added it to my route my time to destination immediately dropped by 15 minutes. So it does not always make the best choices, and ABRP is also a good idea to have as an app on your cell to see if that's the case.

Cost of supercharging is similar than in Canada, during my trip to North Carolina last week, I averaged 86$CAD per 1000 km.

Don't forget to bring some cash in USD for some tolls that only accept that form of payment (or else you get a traffic violation ticket). I think that was a handful of tolls in Delaware or New Jersey, I forgot. Otherwise it's credit cards or pay by mail later (license plate photos) like most of New York State. If you are planning to do this on a regular basis you may consider getting an E-ZPass.

It's very easy as there as so many superchargers along that route.

The in-car routing ususally does a pretty good job, but don't hesitate to second-guess its choices. For example on one occasion it picked up a super slow 72kW Urban Supercharger while there was a 250 kW v3 just two blocks away. Or also a couple of times it needlessly slow-charged beyond 90% to skip the next charge stop, but when I added it to my route my time to destination immediately dropped by 15 minutes. So it does not always make the best choices, and ABRP is also a good idea to have as an app on your cell to see if that's the case.

Cost of supercharging is similar than in Canada, during my trip to North Carolina last week, I averaged 86$CAD per 1000 km.

Don't forget to bring some cash in USD for some tolls that only accept that form of payment (or else you get a traffic violation ticket). I think that was a handful of tolls in Delaware or New Jersey, I forgot. Otherwise it's credit cards or pay by mail later (license plate photos) like most of New York State. If you are planning to do this on a regular basis you may consider getting an E-ZPass.
Thanks for the detailed response

I dunno if it helps, but there’s a couple I know that make an annual trip from NS to Florida during the summer. About the only thing they’ve mentioned is to be careful around New York: you do not want to go through there during rush hour.