Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian X Refresh Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
spoke to the CRA today. The agent told me that my case is still pending with no change since I last spoke to them 2 weeks ago. The file is waiting for final review before they send a reply back. Really frustrating and starting to wonder if I will hear back before I get my car.

Agree that we need to find a solution to get a refund if we do not hear back before we pick up the cars.

Reactions: grewallofchina
Any Canadian tax attorneys in this thread? I imagine at this point we will have to get one involved.
The issue we are having from the things I have gathered is Tesla does not know what constitutes as "written agreement". The only people that can define that is the CRA. For example, does it have to have Make, Model, Price, Est. Delivery or can it just be written on a napkin saying I will purchase a vehicle.

So Tesla is scared they will get audited and have to pay if they are wrong with the definition, which is why we are all being charged. What I am confused about is why is Tesla not requesting an interpretation like us or maybe they have already (who knows).

I do not see a tax attorney doing much because they do not know the definition either. All I see happening is if we are all right and we should not be charged. Tesla then can change it going forward to not charge anyone else and has to (if possible) take the extra step of trying to get a refund for the people they have charged, from the CRA and then providing that refund back to the customer (which I do not think they will).

Anyone feel free to chime in if I am incorrect on anything or have more details about the situation.

CRA rep called me this morning after I insisted that they escalate my case and reply to my ruling request. She told me that she had no way to escalate and that there was nothing to do but wait. She told me that my request had gotten to « senior « people at the CRA that were reviewing it but that she had no visibility into when I would get a response. It’s been sitting there for the past 2 weeks.

I would encourage everyone to call the luxury hotline and leave a message about our ongoing contention with Tesla and request that they respond to all of us Tesla people that have written them. Someone will call you back if you leave a message with your number. We seem to be a pretty large group.

The number is 1-866-330-3304.

The issue we are having from the things I have gathered is Tesla does not know what constitutes as "written agreement". The only people that can define that is the CRA. For example, does it have to have Make, Model, Price, Est. Delivery or can it just be written on a napkin saying I will purchase a vehicle.

So Tesla is scared they will get audited and have to pay if they are wrong with the definition, which is why we are all being charged. What I am confused about is why is Tesla not requesting an interpretation like us or maybe they have already (who knows).

I do not see a tax attorney doing much because they do not know the definition either. All I see happening is if we are all right and we should not be charged. Tesla then can change it going forward to not charge anyone else and has to (if possible) take the extra step of trying to get a refund for the people they have charged, from the CRA and then providing that refund back to the customer (which I do not think they will).

Anyone feel free to chime in if I am incorrect on anything or have more details about the situation.
I’m guessing someone said “They are getting a discount, so we won’t bother investigating”

• Funny
I’m guessing someone said “They are getting a discount, so we won’t bother investigating”
When I last spoke to the rep at Tesla that was helping me to escalate this because he even said he called the Luxury Tax number and they also said we should not be charged. He said there is no advantage of Tesla charging this if they do not have too because he said people are cancelling orders which Tesla would not want. Especially with these current rates. I would assume demand has decreased a lot especially at the new price point and increased interest rates.

Seems like there is context for rebates through the minister (assuming finance) after delivery.

1669747975978.png

So we might need to find out how such a rebate request can be made if cra isn’t helpful.

Maybe a follow up with cra after delivery stating that there has been a payment in error and requesting a refund 🤣

Last edited:
I would encourage everyone to call the luxury hotline and leave a message about our ongoing contention with Tesla and request that they respond to all of us Tesla people that have written them. Someone will call you back if you leave a message with your number. We seem to be a pretty large group.

The number is 1-866-330-3304.

Quoting this for visibility. Phone calls are a *lot* more annoying to deal with than letters. Let's be annoying.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Seems like there is context for rebates through the minister (assuming finance) after delivery.

View attachment 879482

So we might need to find out how such a rebate request can be made if cra isn’t helpful.

Maybe a follow up with cra after delivery stating that there has been a payment in error and requesting a refund 🤣
So my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow and I’m not sure what I’ll do with this. I might pay the tax then pursue this as payment in error. Wondering what others have done who have taken delivery.

So my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow and I’m not sure what I’ll do with this. I might pay the tax then pursue this as payment in error. Wondering what others have done who have taken delivery.
I was thinking the same. My delivery will be coming up in December some time. If we don't have this figured out by then, we may have to send a letter to the CRA for a ruling and try to pursue that for a refund.

Can anyone tell me when do we get the discount code for the mobile charger? Does this only happen once you are assigned the VIN or schedule a delivery? Or should I have already received one? Also, do I have to contact Tesla to get the code, or do they just send it to you via email? Thanks