Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Model S order, bought a Plug-In Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just OT, but a friend today had is battery die in his 5 year old prius. 140 K miles, and has been trouble free until now. Replacement ~ $3500 plus installation.

Yes, that's the replacement cost for the traction pack, but the little 12 volt battery dies in 3 to 5 years, and that runs the computers and everything. 99% of the time it's the 12 volt, which costs less than $200 and you can replace it yourself if you know how to run a socket wrench and screw driver. Whatever you do, tell him not to take it to Toyota. At least my dealer will do you dirty. Traction packs last 10 years at least. Get a second opinion. Read the Prius forums. Google "replacing the 12 volt Prius battery".

In addition, $3500 plus installation is kind of high. List is $3300 including installation and street price is about $2000 + $500 installation.

A weak 12V battery can cause all kinds of false positives--including traction battery failure. Real traction battery failures have been very few for the 2004 and later. There are some for the 2001-2003 but judging by the posts in the Prius forums over half of the 2001-2003 still have the original (old style) traction battery.

Just OT, but a friend today had is battery die in his 5 year old prius. 140 K miles, and has been trouble free until now. Replacement ~ $3500 plus installation.

That's a lot of miles in 5 years.
If he hasn't already committed, there are much less expensive battery replacement options available. Also, it often isn't the battery even though that's what the dealer thinks/says it is.

Have him take a look at this thread at Priuschat : Hybrid Battery Replacement Options | PriusChat

Yes, that's the replacement cost for the traction pack, but the little 12 volt battery dies in 3 to 5 years, and that runs the computers and everything. 99% of the time it's the 12 volt, which costs less than $200 and you can replace it yourself if you know how to run a socket wrench and screw driver. Whatever you do, tell him not to take it to Toyota. At least my dealer will do you dirty. Traction packs last 10 years at least. Get a second opinion. Read the Prius forums. Google "replacing the 12 volt Prius battery".
Yikes, I've heard about bad dealers but that sounds absolutely horrible.

My local Mazda dealership's service department was wonderful (Roseville Mazda) but their cars weren't right for me or my wife's last couple purchases so I don't have a Mazda now.

The ways they were great: no huge mystery repairs, great diagnostics, they knew what things were transitory and would go away (had an oddball sticky valve once; they basically said it would go away and it did) and not afraid to refer out if they couldn't handle something (a smog repair I needed after 15 years; the independent shop handled it well too).