Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Model S order, bought a Plug-In Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I think LEAF 0-60 is 8+
I does 0-40 MPH quite nicely, but then starts to get less and less impressive as you go faster.
LEAF 0-30 is right around 3 seconds.
But 0-60 is 9-10 seconds depends on who's doing the testing.

Motor gets 100% torque up to 30 mph and drops off above that.

A 2 speed transmission would probably get 0-60 into 8s range if not lower... Hmmm... ;)

Agreed. Makes the most sense to only have one car (if you live alone). We are a multiple-driver household, and I'm a car nut. We've got more cars than what I showed in that picture.

Was that your staging garage for photos? Who has a garage that clean?:smile: Just kidding of course. Looks amazing. Think you made the right choice for your needs and criteria.
I've never had ACC in a car so I'm glad that's not keeping me from getting the Model S. Have been waiting for 3 years now.

That's our everyday normal garage. It always looks like that. The 3 cars that get driven the most often get parked there. I've got a 2nd garage that has other cars and all my junk that you'd typically see in a garage.

It looks like you have three charging stations in there (which is awesome). Do you have a Tesla, Nissan, and Toyota charging unit? How many AMPs do you have running to your garage?

...My Model S cancellation was quite some time ago as well, so those of you who are happy that you're moving up a notch, sorry to say, it happed months ago.
Also, full disclosure, the Model S isn't the only car that I cancelled because of "lack of adaptive cruise control". I also cancelled my Fisker order for the exact same reason.
So this thread really has nothing to do with the Model S except to be yet another "Model S doesn't have ACC" thread (of which we already had three).
Moving to the general EV forum.

William3,

For you, it seems like the right thing to do. At this point in time.
And its not like you're burning any bridges. Should Tesla offer your favorite feature on a model in the future, it sounds like you would come back to the fold.

However, there may be a stumbling block that could come up. The price. What it is today, and what it will be five years from now.
I think of the Corvette Stingray, Thunderbird, Mustang, and even the Prius. The price of successive model years went up, up, up. Because demand those fine cars went up, up, up. I do hope that there will be no sob story of "I coulda bought a Model S for only $50,000"

-- Ardie
Hindsight is always 20-20

No, it was more along the lines of "What's adaptive cruise control, I've never heard of it."

If that is really true, I am beginning to have serious doubts about Tesla as a successfull future carmaker.
I mean, not installing ACC in Model S for some economic reason would be fine with me, but not knowing what ACC is (ACC being hardly a novelty after being available for many years in many cars from all kinds of manufacturers) really would be quite exceptional.

On the other hand that would explain many things about the contents of the much hyped (be TSL) Tech Package, which in reality doesn't offer anything even mildly special or high tech at all. At least nothing that isn't available on almost every premium sedan on the market right now.

And if they don't know what ACC is, then no wonder there is no LED headlight, power foldable mirrors, climatized seats, head-up display, blind spot assist et al.

If that is really true, I am beginning to have serious doubts about Tesla as a successfull future carmaker.
I mean, not installing ACC in Model S for some economic reason would be fine with me, but not knowing what ACC is (ACC being hardly a novelty after being available for many years in many cars from all kinds of manufacturers) really would be quite exceptional.

On the other hand that would explain many things about the contents of the much hyped (be TSL) Tech Package, which in reality doesn't offer anything even mildly special or high tech at all. At least nothing that isn't available on almost every premium sedan on the market right now.

And if they don't know what ACC is, then no wonder there is no LED headlight, power foldable mirrors, climatized seats, head-up display, blind spot assist et al.

he probably spoke to one of the Tesla reservation reps (not an engineer), so it is possible they are not familiar with the technology..

he probably spoke to one of the Tesla reservation reps (not an engineer), so it is possible they are not familiar with the technology..

But still, we are talking about someone working in the automobile industry! That's like saying that someone working as an accountant in a bank wouldn't know one of the products that banks have been selling for years.

But still, we are talking about someone working in the automobile industry! That's like saying that someone working as an accountant in a bank wouldn't know one of the products that banks have been selling for years.

They probably should have know what it is but I've never actually even know anyone with a car that has active cruise control or if they do, it's not a feature they've mentioned or raved about. It's out there and getting into cheaper cars with the Prius I guess. They still couldn't have done anything about it. The feature set was probably done well before he canceled his order. I'm actually glad they're sticking to delivering the car on time and not trying to cram too many features into it. I do hope they designed the car such that things like that might be able to be added later but I'm sure there is no guarantee they'll be able to or want to do this.

Roadster owners do get the $10,000 discount so he did give that up. Still wouldn't have solved William3's long range car need though.

I'd agree. If he had talked to Elon or GeorgeB and gotten that response it would be another matter. You don't need to know much about cars to process orders and cancellations and we've seen proof that Tesla doesn't even keep their engineers in the loop on everything that's going on.

Lastly, haven't we heard in a few instances that Tesla basically said "not in version 1" for these features? Austin, I think you're getting worked up over nothing to be honest.

But ACC isn't a product that Tesla is selling. Should I expect my bank's customer service rep to be informed about what the variable-rate CD that ING is offering?

Still, a good rep would have said, "Adaptive cruise control? I'll be sure to pass along your concern to the product team."

Better to remain silent and be thought ignorant, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I'd agree. If he had talked to Elon or GeorgeB and gotten that response it would be another matter. You don't need to know much about cars to process orders and cancellations and we've seen proof that Tesla doesn't even keep their engineers in the loop on everything that's going on.

Lastly, haven't we heard in a few instances that Tesla basically said "not in version 1" for these features? Austin, I think you're getting worked up over nothing to be honest.

Just to clarify, I'm not getting worked up about it. As I said I don't mind that Tesla didn't include ACC in the Model S 1.0. I just thought that the statement spoke volumes about Tesla's attitude towards high tech features, especially in comparing what they said about the car ("best car in ANY category") and then what they offered in the tech package (nothing really special apart maybe from the backup camera being HD instead of SD as in normal vehicles) while describing it as "Takes the most technologically advanced vehicle ever produced to the next level. Use of innovative lighting increases efficiency (since when is xenon "innovative" any more, after being around for ages?). The Touchscreen becomes more informative with turn-by-turn navigation (well, every normal satnav has tbt navigation as it would otherwise be almost useless) and unprecedented rear cargo space opens with the touch of a button (so what, almost every BMW, Audi, Merc, etc. offers that feature as well). Delight in the following features".

Again, don't get me wrong. I don't want to criticize the Model S in general, just the attitude Tesla is displaying, as if the Model S had any outstanding features APART from its EV related tech.

ACC... hmmmmmm Even if the technology was reliable, I'd see this as more of a wow gee-whizz bell/whistle that would be used on a handful of occasions, and not because it really caused some great gain, but just because it is there. Guess I prefer to actually drive my car myself. :)

He probably should have said the best driving sedan on the market or something like that (but that would put it up against the M5). They don't seem to be the most disciplined at the top in terms of what Elon says in interviews 1-2 years before a launch so I take these statements more as 'goals' than statements of fact unless he says 'this is definitely a feature on this car'.

He probably should have said the best driving sedan on the market or something like that (but that would put it up against the M5). They don't seem to be the most disciplined at the top in terms of what Elon says in interviews 1-2 years before a launch so I take these statements more as 'goals' than statements of fact unless he says 'this is definitely a feature on this car'.

BTW, M5 and M6, ACC is not an option.