Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot figure out how to install Basenor Model 3 Mud Flaps (2022 Model)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought these Basenor Model 3 Mud Flaps from Amazon, but can not figure how how to install them properly.

Per the instruction, a QR code is linked to this installation video. It shows the Mud Flap being placed, then the clip insert and then lastly the push fasteners.

In another video from Basenor Auto it shows that the custom clips are first, then the mud flap and then the push fasteners.

Below is as far as I got and can not push the fasteners in any further. I am starting to believe that the custom clips and push fasteners do not work with the latest 2022 model.

Installing on a LR 2022 Model 3.

IMG_8347.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed those on my new M3LR, and I couldn't get the pins in either. I used the pins that came with the mud flaps, instead of trying to reuse the originals. Try using a 2ft long section of 2x4, put one end on the pin, and brace the other end with your foot or thigh. Then bang the 2x4 with a hammer - the pin should pop in easily. I drilled a hole in the front wheel well linings, so I could secure the top of the front mud flaps.

Upvote 0
I just installed those on my new M3LR, and I couldn't get the pins in either. I used the pins that came with the mud flaps, instead of trying to reuse the originals. Try using a 2ft long section of 2x4, put one end on the pin, and brace the other end with your foot or thigh. Then bang the 2x4 with a hammer - the pin should pop in easily. I drilled a hole in the front wheel well linings, so I could secure the top of the front mud flaps.
I might have to try, just worried about if I ever wanted to remove it would it be just as difficult. The push pins on the original car are good, but the pins from Basenor seem to be worse quality in terms of easily removing them.

Upvote 0
I came on here to see if others had success with these flaps. I have a 5 day old M3 and it doesn't look like these mud flaps will work. First off I do not have the bolt under the rear flaps that the videos show must be unscrewed to hold the flap. Also the tabs to hold the top of the mud flaps are clearly not in the right location to secure that area.

Upvote 0
IF it is the push pins I had a similar problem with flaps from Abstract Ocean. I ended up removing the pin from the plug, pushing in plug in then pushing in the pin however - the pins were directional. They had guides that had to be lined up to go in. I found this when I took the pins apart. The video's showed it as so easy. Beware of the bolt on the rear. The weld holding the nut on the Y's is weak and can break necessitating installing a retainer clip in its place. A video on the RPMTesla.com site shows using lots of WD-40 or similar on the rear bolt and nut (I spayed some through the push pin hole to get lube on the top) to work the bolt back and forth to maintain the welded nut.

Upvote 0
I sort of have these installed as well as I tried last night. On my '21 the outer plastic pins went in just fine on the front. I could not get the inner pins to go at all so I don't have them on currently. I did get the screws in so I'm confident the fronts are secure. The rears I could not get the plastic pins in but the OEM bolts are in just fine. I did contact the manufacturer of the mud flaps to report what my experience was.

Reactions: Flybyglass
Upvote 0
I sort of have these installed as well as I tried last night. On my '21 the outer plastic pins went in just fine on the front. I could not get the inner pins to go at all so I don't have them on currently. I did get the screws in so I'm confident the fronts are secure. The rears I could not get the plastic pins in but the OEM bolts are in just fine. I did contact the manufacturer of the mud flaps to report what my experience was.

Was literally my issue too lol. The outer pin went in hella easy, but the inner pins.. man, I don't think I could have done much more to try to get it in.

Upvote 0